Tropical Hideaway

mickEblu

With obvious backstage views, barely any space and weird light fixtures clashing with otherwise awkwardly minimalized decor.

The best. Can you get any closer to DLs berm anywhere else in the park? The Haunted Mansion Q comes to mind but it’s a little further and the wall is higher. Here, you could literally climb up to the train tracks in a few steps.

mickEblu

But you're right. I should quit my jobs, move from my current residence 10 minutes from the beach and go to a theme park with ridiculous talking mice to film myself in a bathroom for five people to watch.

LOL, sounds like a solid plan to me. And don’t cut yourself short. At least 12 of us were watching.

Old Mouseketeer

Here's my take on Tropical Hideaway. I think food service will be limited. Jolly Holiday is using all the kitchen space that used to serve both Plaza Pavilion and Tahitian Terrace. This is 1955-size space and today's Disney food service requires more kitchen space. NOS took over the CM cafe in NOS basement and kicked Club 33 upstairs. So a kitchen that formerly served five locations now serves three with more kitchen space (plus the infill building between the in-berm Pirates building and the Indy queue.

Plaza Inn kitchen used to serve Plaza Inn, Inn Between and (back in the '70s) dinner table service for Plaza Terrace (the South portion of the PI patio) besides supporting Hills Bros. table service, Plaza Pavilion, and Carnation. Now 80-90% of that kitchen space serves only PI and supports Jolly Holiday and Carnation.

Bottom line--I expect the Hideaway to serve Dole Whip varieties, maybe tropical juice concoctions, and packaged sandwiches/salads. If the Tiki Juice Bar stays, I suspect it may only serve the Tiki Room pre-show so they can eliminate the queue running down the path into Adventureland. I think this is Disney's first priority. They absolutely have to keep the path from the Hub through Adventureland as open as possible for Star Wars Land.

Stevek

What I've seen are people, men included, waiting outside for the rest of their party who are in the restrooms.

In any case that area isn't particularly attractive and is a major choke point. I'd be open to Disney finding a solution to improve traffic flow in the area even if it meant rearranging things a bit.
I have a wife and 2 daughters. I’m the guy always waiting.

mickEblu

Here's my take on Tropical Hideaway. I think food service will be limited. Jolly Holiday is using all the kitchen space that used to serve both Plaza Pavilion and Tahitian Terrace. This is 1955-size space and today's Disney food service requires more kitchen space. NOS took over the CM cafe in NOS basement and kicked Club 33 upstairs. So a kitchen that formerly served five locations now serves three with more kitchen space (plus the infill building between the in-berm Pirates building and the Indy queue.

Plaza Inn kitchen used to serve Plaza Inn, Inn Between and (back in the '70s) dinner table service for Plaza Terrace (the South portion of the PI patio) besides supporting Hills Bros. table service, Plaza Pavilion, and Carnation. Now 80-90% of that kitchen space serves only PI and supports Jolly Holiday and Carnation.

Bottom line--I expect the Hideaway to serve Dole Whip varieties, maybe tropical juice concoctions, and packaged sandwiches/salads. If the Tiki Juice Bar stays, I suspect it may only serve the Tiki Room pre-show so they can eliminate the queue running down the path into Adventureland. I think this is Disney's first priority. They absolutely have to keep the path from the Hub through Adventureland as open as possible for Star Wars Land.

There goes my Hawaiian BBQ dream. Oh well @dweezil78 guess we ll just have to pick up some Ohana on the way to the park.

Stevek

I think the obnoxious monster strollers with seats for four eight year olds should be banded from the park. These people have no clue how to do Disneyland. If you need a stroller, bring a lightweight cheap umbrella stroller. It's easier to get on/off the tram and cheap enough that you don't care if it is stolen.

922399_10151672706503673_1827102962_o.jpg
We have 2 daughters less than 2 years apart and a double stroller was the only way to go when they were younger. Not as big as the one in the pic but still big. Was not feasible to bring 2 small strollers. I have zero issues with big strollers as long as people keep them under control, move at a good pace and don’t ram other folks ankles. Disney is a family park, not sure why anyone would have issues with a family bringing a stroller.

Old Mouseketeer

We have 2 daughters less than 2 years apart and a double stroller was the only way to go when they were younger. Not as big as the one in the pic but still big. Was not feasible to bring 2 small strollers. I have zero issues with big strollers as long as people keep them under control, move at a good pace and don’t ram other folks ankles. Disney is a family park, not sure why anyone would have issues with a family bringing a stroller.

I don't disagree with you. But I think the issue is a little more complex and layered. I grew up two miles from Disneyland in the days of ticket books. We had no relatives in CA so everyone came to see us (one summer when I was in high school we had ten weeks of company and I went to DL ten times!). My mother had a game plan for DL for visitors with young children:

1. Arrive at opening or as early as possible. Go on as many E ticket rides as you can early. Typically this meant Pirates, Mansion and CBJ on the west side and Matterhorn and Space on the East.

2. Get fast food lunch outside of peak times.

3. Afternoon cool-off at Circlevision, Carousel of Progress or Lincoln.

4. Home for nap before dinner.

5. Return for a few rides, Electrical Parade, and fireworks.

Since the end of ticket books, families are keeping their small children in the park for longer hours and the trend is to use strollers for older children than 40 or 50 years ago. Add to this the larger crowds permitted by Disney and the narrowed walkways in places like Tomorrowland and the River, and you have a much bigger stroller presence than back in the day. If you have any friends who work attractions, they can tell you how much worse it has gotten.

Phroobar

When I was a child, we would rent Disneyland strollers. They were something special and fun back then. Today you have the urban assault double wide versions with complete RV camping gear attached. You learn after going a few times that 99% of that stuff is completely unnecessary. I found myself leaving the stroller in one part of the park and hoping the train for another part. I wouldn't see the stroller for hours.

FerretAfros

It's just so awkward and charming, I can't take it. Was this originally meant to be open to the public or just slapped together to pass off as a guest area? You could write a book about this alley.

View attachment 266903
That little corner is so spectacularly awkward! And the awkwardness continues once you get inside the restroom too!

The fixtures are just attached anywhere they had space, even though the layout makes no sense at all. There are urinals near corners on adjacent walls that are so close together that you have to be touching shoulders and butt cheeks with the other guy to use them both. There's only one or two stalls, so there's always some kid awkwardly standing in the middle of the room, not knowing what to do with himself while he waits. And the sinks are in the farthest possible location from the door, so everybody is constantly backtracking and bumping into one another

For how well Disney typically does managing traffic patterns, this quiet corner is a spectacularly charming little disaster, and a perfect example of how DL is different from all of Disney's other parks they've built since

George Lucas on a Bench

That little corner is so spectacularly awkward! And the awkwardness continues once you get inside the restroom too!

The fixtures are just attached anywhere they had space, even though the layout makes no sense at all. There are urinals near corners on adjacent walls that are so close together that you have to be touching shoulders and butt cheeks with the other guy to use them both. There's only one or two stalls, so there's always some kid awkwardly standing in the middle of the room, not knowing what to do with himself while he waits. And the sinks are in the farthest possible location from the door, so everybody is constantly backtracking and bumping into one another

For how well Disney typically does managing traffic patterns, this quiet corner is a spectacularly charming little disaster, and a perfect example of how DL is different from all of Disney's other parks they've built since

It's catastrophic failure of theme park design. Yet, it's perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom