News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Monorail_Orange

They didn’t even close when splash was being built! They will use every excuse they can these days. :(
I distinctly remember WDWRR operations being affected. IIRC (and I might not, it was a long time ago...) they tried a "shuttle mode" between MSUSA and Mickey's Starland Depot...and found out it wasn't worth operating that way and discontinued operations all together.

TrainsOfDisney

I distinctly remember WDWRR operations being affected. IIRC (and I might not, it was a long time ago...) they tried a "shuttle mode" between MSUSA and Mickey's Starland Depot...and found out it wasn't worth operating that way and discontinued operations all together.

I had yet to visit a Disney park at that time so I don’t know. The “shuttle mode” could be an urban legend like the monorail going through swan and dolphin but at this point it’s at least fun to talk about. Ha.

Touchdown

I had yet to visit a Disney park at that time so I don’t know. The “shuttle mode” could be an urban legend like the monorail going through swan and dolphin but at this point it’s at least fun to talk about. Ha.

It is not an urban legend, it most definitely happened, I experienced it personally in January of 1989.

We’re goin, goin, on the Express!
We’re goin on the Mickey’s Birthday Land Express!

Truk777

I haven't updated any Nearmaps from their latest capture on April 19 since not much changed. But as a point of reference moving forward, this is an image from April 19th. Next update will probably be Oct/Nov.
Tron.jpg

SilentWindODoom

Jeez, a lot happened in two days.

Remember when people insisted they were going to do more with the Sausalito box? It's like deja vu.

What... is this in reference to? I have absolutely no idea what that is.

The "smaller blue portion" is in Shanghai. It is the last section of track before turning into unload.

Yup. The aerial of Shanghai is at an angle that it lines up perfectly with the above section, but you're right. There's a slight sliver of the lower building there.

The path along the railroad would still be visible inside the park.

The north side visible from Storybook Circus is not the side visible from the Polynesian. The practice is that green is for obscuring with foliage and a blue for sky. White and grey in a pattern are not intended to fade away.

I was referring to this mockup I'd made earlier based on what pictures were available of the work at the time.

6BDiShD.png

But now that we've got images of the view down World Drive (not to mention the new pic someone just took from the Poly), that my estimate was actually off. I thought the building would show a lot more. It seems that the view will be a heck of a lot better than I expected.

Does anybody know if this thing is gonna end up being visible from Storybook Circus? With all the great theming work they did it would be silly to just throw a giant Jetsons building in the background.

The Tron showbuilding will be very visible from many places regardless.

(NOTE: the building will neither be painted nor hidden by the canopy, which will NOT wrap around the building nor obscure the view of the building from anywhere but directly in front of the entrance to the attraction)

It's been said quite a few times in this thread: The box will not be hidden from being seen outside the park. And nothing will be done to hide/block/camouflage it other than by the white, blue, and grey stripes that can already be seen.

All right. All right. Let's settle this. I've thrown everything into CAD, so let's take a look at viewpoints and see if this is going to be visible from 20 spots in the park and not be hidden from the canopy anywhere, ever, in any way like everyone seems to be saying. (In the event anyone takes me seriously, let me make it clear I'm returning hyperbole for hyperbole. ;) )

I took the current satellite image of the area, the new satellite that was just posted of the current construction in Orlando, and the satellite of Shanghai's version. I got them all sized right so that the original could be traced and I could bring it over to the new construction and see where the canopy will sit (cyan).

CAD Canopy.png

So that's where the canopy is. Now, let's look at Shanghai Disneyland and see if the box is visible from the side of the canopy. Unfortunately, there is no Streetview from within the park, and I have to go off of 360 images and an image search.

TronBuilding.jpg
th

Pictures do show the building poking out. However, these views are from an elevated platform that rings the Shanghai Tomorrowland, as are most views of the ride's exterior. It makes sense. It gives the most epic vista. But no such platform exists in Orlando. Here's where those viewpoints would be from in the Magic Kingdom (yellow arrows):

CAD Canopy Views.png

But, of course, thirty feet in the air. Of course, while we don't have an elevated platform, we do have the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover. Fortunately, videos have been uploaded from earlier in the year of what a ride on the TTA/PM is like.

TTA1.png

From the initial exit of the station, we can see the track going higher than the show building from this perspective. Now, the canopy dips in the center, so there will be poking out in the middle. But this view and the earlier pic from the Poly shows something interesting. We'll get to that later.

TTA2.png

Funnily enough given a lot of the conversation we've been having, the building is blocked a number of times on the way towards Space Mountain by foliage.

TTA3.png

Again, approaching Space it seems that the building will bridge the two peaks of the canopy like it did from the center of Tomorrowland.

But this isn't the highest we can get in Tomorrowland. So let's take a ride on the Astro Orbiter.

AstroOrbiter.png

It's close. It's certainly close. But it looks like the building will bridge the canopy. Why do I keep mentioning that? Well, the Shanghai building appears to be a bit more of a darker shade of the Nothing to See Here Navy the back of the Orlando building is. But instead, this building is done in white and gray, more approaching the colors of the canopy itself. If the corner does not pop up, then the shape in the background fits more with the canopy structure rather than looking like a box. And the TTA and Poly pics seem to suggest that in high sunlight, the cladding takes on a much lighter look, almost white. This causes it to blend even better.

But this is all talk about high angles. What about low angles? Is the building visible on the regular elevation of Shanghai's Tomorrowland?

TronGround.png

From this lower angle, the building is completely invisible. And what viewpoint does this correlate with in Orlando?

CAD Canopy Views 2.png

This is the viewpoint of between the TTA/MP and Tron. This is the approach of people to ride the ride, the most important viewpoint in terms of where you want to compose a cool vista. And once you get farther back on the ground level, you've got the elevated tracks to compete with.

The tracks already block Space from a lot of the land. The Tron building will not be seen from the ground of Tomorrowland, the places where the ride is visible getting a view of the canopy instead of the box. The entirety of the Speedway has the canopy between it and the building, with the high peaks blocking visibility.

To me, the most important parts of theming this building are the canopy being the visible portion within Tomorrowland and none of it being visible from Storybook Circus. So let's look at the circus.

I've mentioned numerous times how remarkable it is that despite the close proximity the current plantings block Space from view. And from the majority of the land it appears Tron is also invisible. There are three points where it isn't. The building slightly pokes out above the treeline from Dumbo, and there's the view that the pathway to Tomorrowland and Banstormer, which has been posted a bunch of times.

img_3036-jpg.482888

But all of these can easily be hidden with trees. One tiny tree blocked nearly the entirety from the TTA. It's not like you need an old-growth forest to hide it.

Something I hadn't noticed until seeing the latest aerial of the Orlando site is that the walkway is also completely gone. It will be reconstructed to go under the canopy. That's pretty cool.

Finally, the view from across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

20200719_183051-jpg.485270

Here's a new mockup of what it seems it will look like from across the Lagoon.

SSL.png

So, from the Polynesian, the building will show between the peaks of the canopy, albeit in a matching color. Views from the Grand Floridian are an angle similar to the angle the Speedway is at, with the higher points of the canopy sitting in front of the building. And I've mentioned plenty of times the old growth blocking a lot of views from the Contemporary complex.

MonorailTron.png

This is a non-zoomed in view from the monorail. To the right you can see the forest I've been talking about, and it dwarfs the Tron building from the bottom half of the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower.

So here's where the building will be visible from:

-It will slightly peek out in the distance behind Space Mountain as the bus turns into the MK bus stops.

-The above distant shot from the monorail when entering from the TTC.

-As a part of a group of whitish shapes from the Polynesian.

-As a possible part of the canopy from the TTA/PM and Astro Orbiter.

-A segment of the walkway and possibly the Railroad between edge of the Barnstormer queue and the canopy.

The canopy will block it from a number of places and it will be largely visible for what it is onstage in one barely visited corner of the park. All other clear views will be off-stage.

SilentWindODoom

Project Sausalito aka Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. All of this denial that the warehouse will be visible was played out over and over again. Now it’s happening with this project.

THIS monstrosity?!

guardians-of-the-galaxy-roller-coaster-construction-update-january-2019-4-gravity-building-spaceship-earth.jpg

This giant eyesore that competes with the f- Hold on. Did we lose the old censored smiley?

Anyway, this thing looks to approach the height of the park's icon and is slapped right near it. It's horrible. It was bad enough that a giant airplane hanger got placed behind Imagination. Did we have to balance that out? Is that what we're doing?

It's visible from the entrance. It's visible from inside the park. It towers over the architecture within. It's, like, 500' from Spaceship Earth and competes with it visually. It's horrid. I admit that I'm going off what I can find, and wish I could see views of how it effects entry and the views from the World Showcase and that half of Future World. But everything I see makes it seem abjectly horrible.

But Tron isn't this. Tron is three times farther from the castle. It has themed elements that cover up the box from most of inside the park. Tron's building in visible in places, but it's nowhere near as bad as it is in Shanghai and as bad as Guardians and Soarin' are in Epcot. Which is why the panicking and hand-wringing over Tron has blown my mind when there are actual problems elsewhere.

It's always said that the blessing Orlando has that Anaheim doesn't have is space. The blessing Anaheim has that I wish we could have in Orlando is a lower friggin' water table.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom