News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Jones14

So what will they do with the space that the design center takes up in Shanghai?

Is the canopy going to be extended downwards a bit more, a new set-piece for the train added, or will they just plant some more trees to green up that side?

Movielover

It always annoyed me that they just built tree trunks, it seems so lazy, "studio" theming.
They filmed Endor in the Redwood National and State Parks. Obviously Disney should have planted a mature redwood forest in Disney-MGM Studios.

The actual village set was built in Elstree Studios in England. The Star Tours "set" is a nice nod towards the original actual production set.

1595230997968.png

1595231233714.png

And a nice look at one of the matte paintings of the village, the black parts in the center are where the actual live action is seen once the matte is placed over the frame.
1595231383542.png

SilentWindODoom

Yes, more of the west elevation will be visible without the Chevrolet Digital Challenge post show building. That does not explain wrapping the corner. The on-ride view around the corner, at most, will be quite minimal as the track does not extend that far north, is banked and the canopy is over the track.

So thaaaaaaaat's what that is. Huh.

The area where it normally is is concrete right now and there are some access points. This could be backstage area since that smaller blue portion of the building isn't there in Shanghai and has several doors on it. Of course, they can't have that visible from the ride and the canopy does rise up there to allow visibility. So I'd assume they're going to fill that area with trees that won't grow above the canopy.

That would expand the coverage of the building from the railroad. So, the top of the building on two sides would be visible from the pathway between the railroad station and... well... Tron.

You’d really want the building to be green if that were the plan.

Would you? That would make it more noticeable from the places where it can be seen. It looks like it will peek out when viewed from Polynesian, but the current color blends in more at that distance. It seems practice to make buildings under a certain height green and above a certain height blue and this is tall. Also, it fits the white/blue/gray aesthetic of Tomorrowland more when viewed from the outside.

Who has ridden Tron in China? How is the Ride? any good drops?

Here's the track. The top portion on the right is where they come back into the building, so it looks like there's a descent drop right after.

tron-coaster-construction-update-july-2019-8-overhead-construction-site.jpg

lazyboy97o

The area where it normally is is concrete right now and there are some access points. This could be backstage area since that smaller blue portion of the building isn't there in Shanghai and has several doors on it. Of course, they can't have that visible from the ride and the canopy does rise up there to allow visibility. So I'd assume they're going to fill that area with trees that won't grow above the canopy.

That would expand the coverage of the building from the railroad. So, the top of the building on two sides would be visible from the pathway between the railroad station and... well... Tron.
The "smaller blue portion" is in Shanghai. It is the last section of track before turning into unload.

The path along the railroad would still be visible inside the park.

Would you? That would make it more noticeable from the places where it can be seen. It looks like it will peek out when viewed from Polynesian, but the current color blends in more at that distance. It seems practice to make buildings under a certain height green and above a certain height blue and this is tall. Also, it fits the white/blue/gray aesthetic of Tomorrowland more when viewed from the outside.
The north side visible from Storybook Circus is not the side visible from the Polynesian. The practice is that green is for obscuring with foliage and a blue for sky. White and grey in a pattern are not intended to fade away.

TrainsOfDisney

heres a youtube vid of the attraction in shanghai, looks awesome!

Yes! I’ve always wanted to ride test track 2.0 in an uncomfortable position! Perfect!

(That’s exaggerated sarcasm of course, people who have been on it say it’s a fun ride. But nobody says it’s particularly amazing I don’t think?)

doctornick

Yes! I’ve always wanted to ride test track 2.0 in an uncomfortable position! Perfect!

(That’s exaggerated sarcasm of course, people who have been on it say it’s a fun ride. But nobody says it’s particularly amazing I don’t think?)

I’ve always thought they could have really upgraded the ride by making it dual tracked with separate yellow and blue tracks. Not only could they have had some cool racing sections (think like the Matterhorn) but it would have helped the capacity.

Of course it would have needed a larger building too so that the downside

TrainsOfDisney

It seems so compact.... like it could be really cool if built at Epcot where it could speed around future world and cross over / under the monorail line? - why does Disney only think inside a box now? (Literally ugly boxes?).

Rider

It seems so compact.... like it could be really cool if built at Epcot where it could speed around future world and cross over / under the monorail line? - why does Disney only think inside a box now? (Literally ugly boxes?).
Before it was officially announced I had an idea for Tron in Future World that had the station in the NW Innoventions building, a launch through the SW building, loops around the two small lagoons (with a hop over the path), back into another launch past Mouse Gears, into a new show building that would replace NE Innoventions, a hop over the plazza and back to the station.

Alas I was never hired as an Imagineer.

UNCgolf

Because that's where coasters should go at Disney. An exposed track in the middle of EPCOT would be absolutely horrible -- they need to be hidden; it really takes away from the experience to see the track itself, and it's that much worse when people are actually riding it and screaming etc.

Exposed track coasters are a terrible idea for any themed environment. The Hulk and Rip Rockit coasters are easily the worst part of Universal for that reason.

TrainsOfDisney

Because that's where coasters should go at Disney. An exposed track in the middle of EPCOT would be absolutely horrible -- they need to be hidden; it really takes away from the experience to see the track itself, and it's that much worse when people are actually riding it and screaming etc.

Exposed track coasters are a terrible idea for any themed environment. The Hulk and Rip Rockit coasters are easily the worst part of Universal for that reason.

What I’m envisioning wouldn’t look like an exposed track coaster. It would look like a futuristic transport device. So it would fit Epcot just as well as the “exposed track” for the monorail.

RSoxNo1

The unfinished backside was very visible from the approach road to DAK’s bus entrance and AK Lodge, parts of daks parking lot, and blizzard beach. It was later painted to somewhat Camaflouge it.
The tree line has also nearly covered this from the parking lot and approach. It was quickly replaced by the Pandora show building that is way too visible from the parking lot. It seems that problem can be easily solved with more plantings.

owlsandcoffee

Does anybody know if this thing is gonna end up being visible from Storybook Circus? With all the great theming work they did it would be silly to just throw a giant Jetsons building in the background.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom