News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

SplashJacket

Whenever there’s a negative post about Tron, it gets both praise and pushback.

Tron is really a tricky ride to address. Because there are triumphant victories and immense pitfalls.

It’s difficult to categorize Tron because of this, every complement must be attached to a quantifier.

Things Tron does really well:
  • Beautiful nighttime aesthetic
  • Gorgeous and incredibly aesthetically pleasing interior
  • Creating ambiance and adding kinetic energy
  • Smart in-coaster set elements
Areas Tron could use a boost:
  • Length. Tron just isn’t long enough. It’s really fun, so you want more, but by the time it’s over, it leaves you wanting a little bit more
  • Visible Blue-box show building. In Shanghai, I was never once bothered by it. I doubt I’d be too bothered by it in Orlando, but it is a lapse in theming
  • Block-sections. The ride has way way way too many block-sections. The vehicles are long, so they’re very noticeable, and you’re not moving that fast through the block-sections so they cut up the pacing. Rides like VelociCoaster and Guardians avoid this issue by having mid-layout launches and rotational movement during block sections.
Tron is a great ride and I’m excited to experience it once again along with all that it adds to Tomorrowland, but I went to Shanghai before they announced Tron was coming stateside, and even still, I went on a ride within that same park four times more over three days. That ride was Pirates.

Tron isn’t a best in the world attraction by any metric, and that’s okay, but if you’re disappointed by Guardians (even with ignoring its placement) you will be disappointed by Tron. It’ll still be the best coaster in Magic Kingdom, but hardly the best in WDW or Orlando.

It’s a solid, imperfect ride. Orlando will love it. I love it. It’s not the best thing since sliced bread.

montyz81

I suspect that is one of disney's new means of alternative power. The more he turns in his grave the more it turns a wheel which in turn powers a few things at the parks. With that constant turning its a form of alternative energy that constantly keeps on going. When ever it looks like its gonna stop then the execs will do something else and the turning continues.
They had to make up for the power somehow when they shut down the roof tiles on UoE

AKL2003

This. Wife and I were so underwhelmed by Tron in Shanghai. I really enjoy the Tron movies, but the whole ride was just rather bland and uninspired. There is just not a lot to sing your teeth into or for designers to use for details as everything in that world is so minimalist.

Shanghai Pirates, however... we went on it 4 times and it was outstanding.
Agreed….Disney absolutely needs to bring the Shanghai Pirates tech to WDW…

Bocabear

Things Tron does really well:
  • Beautiful nighttime aesthetic
  • Gorgeous and incredibly aesthetically pleasing interior
  • Creating ambiance and adding kinetic energy
  • Smart in-coaster set elements
Having ridden it in Shanghai i can agree with the first bullet point...
The interior queue is cramped and unpleasant..(.look at Disneyland's Space Mountain interior queue).
The kinetic energy that the launch/canopy section creates comes at a cost to the overall attraction...Yes it looks nice from outside, but it adds nothing to the Tron storyline or ride experience...
I am not sure what "Smart In-coaster set elements means... The actual interior coaster portion of the ride has different elements that light up on approach much like Rock N Rollercoaster...
It's a nice ride, I did it many times as there was no line in Shanghai... but it is so short, it is not worth waiting the hours and hours that it will take to get on board.

adam.adbe

It's a nice ride, I did it many times as there was no line in Shanghai... but it is so short, it is not worth waiting the hours and hours that it will take to get on board.
Is the park just all-round quieter in Shanghai, or is Tron not pulling the crowds there anymore?

TheMaxRebo

In any case I like Tron better than some trees and a berm so it’s a win in my book. The fact they actually decided to expand MK is a miracle in and of itself and we probably won’t see another pure expansion at MK for a very long time.

Very much how I feel - even if not a tip-top attraction, it is additional capacity for the park ... Not like they tore down Space Mountain to build this

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don’t get what all the negativity is about - a new ride that didn’t exist before within a really impressive space - looks really fun and a great add
I think the general consensus is that is isn't necessarily adding much needed capacity to the worlds busiest theme park. MK desperately needs a people eater to relieve the crowding a bit and TRON doesn't fit that description. It's also a VERY short ride, again not helping with capacity issues.

JoeCamel

I don’t get what all the negativity is about - a new ride that didn’t exist before within a really impressive space - looks really fun and a great add

I think the general consensus is that is isn't necessarily adding much needed capacity to the worlds busiest theme park. MK desperately needs a people eater to relieve the crowding a bit and TRON doesn't fit that description. It's also a VERY short ride, again not helping with capacity issues.
Plus it is in the wrong place!

mlayton144

The structure looks quite impressive from head to toe, can’t Imagine not enjoying the space including the queue prior to the ride. So , if they added another people eater , you don’t think they would let more people in the gate ?

UNCgolf

Yep. A non-family coaster has a limited rider base compared to most Disney rides (see Guardians, which is relatively easy to get on even as a brand new attraction featuring a popular IP), and the fact that it's so short exacerbates the issue.

It's obviously better than adding nothing -- no argument there. But it was one of the worst options for adding needed capacity to the MK. The Main Street Theater would have been a much better use of money.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The structure looks quite impressive from head to toe, can’t Imagine not enjoying the space including the queue prior to the ride. So , if they added another people eater , you don’t think they would let more people in the gate ?
I should have prefaced that I am a TRON fan as a whole, so I am excited about this one not having been to Shanghai, but I under its shortcomings as well. It will be a hit for sure with guests and enjoyable, but as of right now, publicly at least, there is nothing on the horizon that will suck up the crowds. As UNCgolf just mentioned, the proposed (and announced!) Theater that never happened would have been a great addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom