News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

montyz81

Is it me or does Tron miss a huge opportunity to create light patterns on the underside of the canopy that reflect the constellations? It would be a great way to connect it to Space Mountain and the original theming of Tomorrowland.

Movielover

And since you mentioned, 'blue'....

View attachment 645697

Barnstormer would like a word.

Also there's this...

1655295477716.png

Everybody forgets Gadget's... In fact I bet Disney even forgets that it's back there. I bet when they closed Toontown and started trimming the bushes they were like "hey look, there's a roller coater back here. When the heck did we do this?"

matt9112

You’re opinion is fine, but to 95% of Florida guests who will never go to Shanghai, (present company included), the ride looks awesome.

For me it’s not the duality of the attraction. I likewise will probably never visit Shanghai. However it’s the known fact that it’s simply not an impressive coaster. Will it be fun? Of course! and the seating position is novel (can’t wait for all the guests that can’t ride) but it’s very short by modern coaster standards.

UNCgolf

I’d guess more like 99% but I don’t think that was a debate. A thrill ride of this intensity doesn’t exist at MK, so it fills a void.

I think it'll be more like 75%, solely because of the kind of ride. It'll have the same issues Guardians has (i.e. why it's not difficult to get on Guardians right now even though it's brand new) where a significant percentage of guests either can't ride or just don't want to.

Probably 99% of people who actually ride will enjoy it, though.

Bocabear

I think it'll be more like 75%, solely because of the kind of ride. It'll have the same issues Guardians has (i.e. why it's not difficult to get on Guardians right now even though it's brand new) where a significant percentage of guests either can't ride or just don't want to.

Probably 99% of people who actually ride will enjoy it, though.
It is one of the most enjoyable rides I have ever been on...and even friends that hate rollercoaster have been very enthusiastic about this one...

TheMaxRebo

Is it me or does Tron miss a huge opportunity to create light patterns on the underside of the canopy that reflect the constellations? It would be a great way to connect it to Space Mountain and the original theming of Tomorrowland.

Would that fit the theme though? You are supposed to be uploaded to a computer, not seeing the night time sky...

Now if they adjusted the theme to be more space based than video game based I fully agree with you!

UNCgolf

It is one of the most enjoyable rides I have ever been on...and even friends that hate rollercoaster have been very enthusiastic about this one...

It wasn't a knock on the ride -- just a statement of fact that WDW attracts more guests who aren't going to get on anything more than a kiddie roller coaster (for various reasons) than most other parks.

TokyoNeonDreams

Disney Fans: Hey, can we have one of those awesome rides you're building overseas?
WDW: Sure!
Disney Fans: Cool!! We're getting Mystic Manor! Or Shanghai Pirates! Or maybe Monster Inc from Tokyo... or anything from Disney Seas...
WDW: It's TRON!
Disney Fans: But... but we have Space Mountain, and its pretty much just the same thing, only shorter...
WDW: But it's based on the super-popular IP TRON!
Disney Fans: Well...
WDW: And don't worry, Space Mountain will collapse from lack of maintenance soon anyway, so now we'll have a spare! TRON!
This. Wife and I were so underwhelmed by Tron in Shanghai. I really enjoy the Tron movies, but the whole ride was just rather bland and uninspired. There is just not a lot to sing your teeth into or for designers to use for details as everything in that world is so minimalist.

Shanghai Pirates, however... we went on it 4 times and it was outstanding.

montyz81

Would that fit the theme though? You are supposed to be uploaded to a computer, not seeing the night time sky...

Now if they adjusted the theme to be more space based than video game based I fully agree with you!
Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit Epcot's theme, but Disney did it anyway! They have shown that they care less about comprehensive themes these days. (I lost count of the number of times Walt has turned over in his grave.) I suspect this minor change in the ride wouldn't ruffle any Tron fan feathers.

jeanericuser001

(I lost count of the number of times Walt has turned over in his grave.)
I suspect that is one of disney's new means of alternative power. The more he turns in his grave the more it turns a wheel which in turn powers a few things at the parks. With that constant turning its a form of alternative energy that constantly keeps on going. When ever it looks like its gonna stop then the execs will do something else and the turning continues.

Jrb1979

Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't fit Epcot's theme, but Disney did it anyway! They have shown that they care less about comprehensive themes these days. (I lost count of the number of times Walt has turned over in his grave.) I suspect this minor change in the ride wouldn't ruffle any Tron fan feathers.
Outside of AK which they can't change much as it has animals, the other 3 parks are one and the same. Full of whatever IP they can market. They have really lost touch on what made Disney Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom