News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Because it's open to everyone using VQ between 3/23 to 4/3 before the official open on 4/4. Hence "soft opening." These are not AP previews.

Yes, but the proper term for what is going on starting 3/23 is "the ride is open". Soft openings are stuff like it opens spontaneously without warning and you might get lucky to go on - but they are having people do a virtual queue instead and apparently offering paid rides. That's not really consistent with what would be considered a "soft opening"

UNCgolf

For what it’s worth, it’s the form used by the US government:

I agree it is the less common spelling, but it isn’t a misspelling or in any way erroneous.

The US government is inconsistent in its usage -- they spell it archaeology in places as well: https://careers.doi.gov/occupational-series/archaeology (and they actually spell it both ways in the text on that page, which is just... bizarre. Pick one!)-- but regardless I do consider it erroneous in the context of the sign (I wouldn't have called it out as a misspelling if someone had just written it in a post here).

Inn my experience you'd be unlikely to see anyone involved in the field (even tangentially as opposed to an actual professional archaeologist) spell it that way even today, much less in the 1930s or 1940s, which is presumably the sign's intended era.

Admittedly I did not clarify the specific context of the sign in my original comment.

Last edited:

arich35

I am wondering how hard it is going to be to get a 6 PM VQ when the time comes. We will have the chance and would much rather try to get it at 6 than earlier

JoeCamel

Yes, but the proper term for what is going on starting 3/23 is "the ride is open". Soft openings are stuff like it opens spontaneously without warning and you might get lucky to go on - but they are having people do a virtual queue instead and apparently offering paid rides. That's not really consistent with what would be considered a "soft opening"
Soft opening means you are not assured you will ride even after getting in line, after open you can have some expectation of riding, it may go down for any reason at any time. This close and with as long as it took to open I would be surprised to see any downtime.

LittleBuford

I do consider it erroneous in the context of the sign (I wouldn't have called it out as a misspelling if someone had just written it in a post here).

Inn my experience you'd be unlikely to see anyone involved in the field (even tangentially as opposed to an actual professional archaeologist) spell it that way even today, much less in the 1930s or 1940s, which is presumably the sign's intended era.
It was actually among American archaeologists in the mid-twentieth century that the variant form gained ground (this was also the era in which the Chicago Tribune was using “thru” for “through”), so if there’s any attraction for which the A-less spelling is appropriate, it’s Indiana Jones.

That said, I very much doubt this is the level on which Disney was thinking.

doctornick

Soft opening means you are not assured you will ride even after getting in line, after open you can have some expectation of riding, it may go down for any reason at any time. This close and with as long as it took to open I would be surprised to see any downtime.

I’m well aware. Which is why I think it is ridiculous to sell rides via ILL during soft opening. Which they apparently plan to do

UNCgolf

It was actually among American archaeologists in the mid-twentieth century that the variant form gained ground (this was also the era in which the Chicago Tribune was using “thru” for “through”), so if there’s any attraction for which the A-less spelling is appropriate, it’s Indiana Jones.

That said, I very much doubt this is the level on which Disney was thinking.

I didn't know that, but that's strange.

I wonder why it gained ground and then fell back out of fashion. As I said, I have rarely seen it spelled that way here, and almost never in any professional or academic setting.

Regardless, I think everyone can agree that sign had other, much larger problems.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Virtual Queue tab for TRON Lightcycle / Run has been added to My Disney Experience.

IMG_E7E87096B5B8-1.jpeg

TTA94

Just curious what the odds will look like for those trying to get a spot in the virtual queue during the soft opening? Assuming everything goes well with no downtimes.

gerarar

Premium Member
Just curious what the odds will look like for those trying to get a spot in the virtual queue during the soft opening? Assuming everything goes well with no downtimes.
Considering MK is usually open later (than like Epcot) til around 11pm, more BGs will be able to be called in a single day, thus more VQ availablity. So the cutoff time and last call should be around 10pm.

Obviously this won't really matter much for the first few days/weeks.

TTA94

This may have been discussed already but if you are unsuccessful at getting a VQ for Tron at both 7 and 1, is it doable to still have a shot at GOTG?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom