News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

My thinking there is just that DHS still needs a lot more to take pressure off of SWGE. Maybe in the Echo Lake area....

It absolutely needs more. That's why Mickey and Minnie should have been a new build.

They should have placed SWL elsewhere, and also be putting in Cars Land or Monstropolis (of course in an ideal world and park, both, along with Toy Story Land). Indy should be going for a raft ride that has a large flume drop ... the park would be fleshed out and have a variety of things to do. Add in updated shows and it's a brand new park with a few nostalgic flavors left over (updated GMR and Tower of Terror).

I also would have liked seeing Toontown go into DHS instead of it being in the MK back in the day, but that ship has long sailed. Anyway ... armchair imagineering over with ... lol

Jones14

My opinion of TRON hinges on three things, one of which we already know.

1) We are getting a new, high capacity theatre shortly before TRON opens that will help to alleviate crowding issues throughout the park. This is a plus because as has been mentioned previously, TRON will do more drawing than distribution when it comes to crowds in the park. The theatre will do the opposite.

2) TRON will need to be followed up by a major addition in each park not called the Magic Kingdom in order to minimize crowding.

3) There will also need to be significant upgrades to the rest of the park to match TRON's level of quality. Many of the attractions in MK have remained untouched for decades, and that's not going to fly for much longer. TRON will far outclass every other headliner in the park save Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion, and that's a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.

I'm a little concerned about 2 and 3. Epcot is supposed to get attention in 2022, but DHS and AK will be riding 3 and 5 year-old expansions by that time. Disney's track record with phase two of major investments is not the best, which worries me. A new E-ticket per decade isn't what the parks need. On the refurbishment front, they just need to give attention to something other than Splash Mountain and Mansion. Pirates, Big Thunder Mountain, and Peter Pan's Flight in particular have painfully obvious room for improvement, and Tomorrowland is, well, Tomorrowland.

PatInCT

Some great stuff going on down there (was just there last week)... I think the Tomorrowland renovation of the 90's was great and I can't see if going back. If you want to reclaim some space... Carousel of Progress. Update Tomorrowland Speedway.... went on it (like we always do), just not fun. How about some electric cars and a new theme? They are doing some updates outside of Cosmic Rays (threw up some walls at the beginning of last week). I liked Alien Encounter (in the minority) but let's have something there that won't give you motion sickness.

Skipper Dan

It’s a possibility that’s low on the list. I believe.

Wait, okay... I’m happy now. See, I thought you meant it was going to STAY... as IS. God. Look, Space Mountain is great, but it’s 1970s great. It needs to be gutted, and re-done. My only issue with this now, is if they update it, it’d be too close to Tron. UGH! DISNEYYYY!!!! 💪🏼< shaking my fist

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My opinion of TRON hinges on three things, one of which we already know.

1) We are getting a new, high capacity theatre shortly before TRON opens that will help to alleviate crowding issues throughout the park. This is a plus because as has been mentioned previously, TRON will do more drawing than distribution when it comes to crowds in the park. The theatre will do the opposite.

2) TRON will need to be followed up by a major addition in each park not called the Magic Kingdom in order to minimize crowding.

3) There will also need to be significant upgrades to the rest of the park to match TRON's level of quality. Many of the attractions in MK have remained untouched for decades, and that's not going to fly for much longer. TRON will far outclass every other headliner in the park save Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion, and that's a problem that needs to be fixed ASAP.

I'm a little concerned about 2 and 3. Epcot is supposed to get attention in 2022, but DHS and AK will be riding 3 and 5 year-old expansions by that time. Disney's track record with phase two of major investments is not the best, which worries me. A new E-ticket per decade isn't what the parks need. On the refurbishment front, they just need to give attention to something other than Splash Mountain and Mansion. Pirates, Big Thunder Mountain, and Peter Pan's Flight in particular have painfully obvious room for improvement, and Tomorrowland is, well, Tomorrowland.

Don't worry about 3, Disney will cost cut the Tron project enough that it will balance things out. ;)

doctornick

Tron isn’t a bad decision for MK, it just might not be the best next decision. I really don’t have a problem with it.

I would agree with this. I think my biggest quibble was that if they were going to add another thrill ride to WDW, I would have rather seen it in Adventureland than TL. That would help to balance out the park more (also a long family friendly ride in Frontierland would be nice as well).

azox

It’s a possibility that’s low on the list. I believe.

I would think SM is probably one of the higher hourly capacity coasters out there and removal of it would be a big loss. Has Disney ever removed a high throughput coaster before? One would think it would be a cheap coaster to refurb since the coaster is not heavily intertwined with thematic props. It's as close to a basic coaster as it gets except it's in the dark.

180º

I've always had a thought of building Tron into/onto WoL. Imagine entering the gold (or a repainted silver with some blue accents) dome and being in the Game Grid. Having the coaster do its little flyby at the "back" of the dome before it enters into a tacked on show building (hidden) behind the dome. Then you could have another attraction somewhere in there as well plus the typical Flynn Arcade stuff. You could have some very neat lighting and ambient music inside a fully enclosed environment. I'm not a fan of IPs being forced into Epcot, but I feel having "computer" pavilion using Tron would be acceptable. MUCH more acceptable then GotG, personally. Even then, I still think CC/Innoventions should be used for everything computer/tech related.
Along these lines, if only they had shoved Guardians into Wonders of Life instead. They could have still closed Energy since they were desperate to, but only until they gave it a proper refurbishment. I would have preferred that to losing the travelling theater altogether.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would think SM is probably one of the higher hourly capacity coasters out there and removal of it would be a big loss. Has Disney ever removed a high throughput coaster before? One would think it would be a cheap coaster to refurb since the coaster is not heavily intertwined with thematic props. It's as close to a basic coaster as it gets except it's in the dark.
Not coasters but they’ve removed some huge people eaters from EPCOT Center and replaced with far lower capacity ride systems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom