News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

I’m sure COVID (staffing, travel, supply chain, squabbles w/government, etc.) factored in.

People on these boards have been anticipating something great from Disney to celebrate the 50th.

I remember someone suggesting they’d open 50 surprise new attractions over the course of the year or something. But Disney never really even hinted anything like this was coming. They just painted the castle coral pink.

And then people were disappointed because Disney failed to live up to the hype fans had created in their heads.
For me, the biggest surprises of the 50th were all the new foods! Every time something new was released, guests were left to wonder how long they’d need in the bathroom an hour later.

I got to try Walt’s chili for the first and last time! Glad he mostly stuck to movies and rides.

TheMaxRebo

I’m sure the salmon-colored castle paint job drew guests in by the dozens.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

_caleb

That is part of it. I think why many were upset is that for a major anniversary of a park there was no celebration of the history of the parks. IMO that's what people really wanted.
I’m sure some fans really wanted this. But check out Chapek‘s address at D23 (the one were all the Disney parks “news” sites are saying he was booed). He basically says, “Yeah, fans are great, but guests who only come once every 5 years or so are more important to us.”

These fans don’t know (or care) about celebrating the history of the parks. In the old days, there were “regular” days at the parks and there were occasionally special celebrations, which cost a lot but lured people in. Now, all they have to do is install the overlay for the next “holiday,” and poof: VALUE ADDED!

These days, every day at the parks is “special” (so none of them are).

I could be wrong but I think Disney probably had a much grander vision for the 50th that Covid (partially) ruined on multiple fronts. I'm going at the (tail end?) of the 50th but it means nothing to me this way or that, so maybe you're right. It seems at this point the 50th is already forgotten for most, including Disney.

We booked our trip in December 2021 for this coming November - purposefully for the 50th. At first, I was so thrilled with everything they announced - Mickey and Minnie in new outfits, the gold statues, weird fizzle sparkler character heads to add to your drinks, castle overlay - and the thought of both Tron AND Moana journey of water being completed way ahead of our trip - now I’m feeling completely duped lol. The 50th seems like nothing special and if anything, I’m sitting here wishing I could cancel.

ToTBellHop

We booked our trip in December 2021 for this coming November - purposefully for the 50th. At first, I was so thrilled with everything they announced - Mickey and Minnie in new outfits, the gold statues, weird fizzle sparkler character heads to add to your drinks, castle overlay - and the thought of both Tron AND Moana journey of water being completed way ahead of our trip - now I’m feeling completely duped lol. The 50th seems like nothing special and if anything, I’m sitting here wishing I could cancel.
There are lots of great special desserts!

James Alucobond

I actually think it’s more beautiful than the big random box sitting over at Epcot but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I certainly have a problem with the boxes, but I'm never going to find beauty in an exposed coaster that towers over what would otherwise be a well-themed area. That it diminishes recent improvements by encroaching on the Three Broomsticks is even worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom