News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

UNCgolf

I've noticed from alot of posters that Guardians is somewhat under whelming considering the cost of the ride.

Am i about rite?

I think it varies. Some people absolutely love it and think it's one of the best rides at WDW; other people think it's relatively fun for what it is (not an all-time great attraction) but they can't figure out how it cost even half as much as it cost.

Last edited:

trainplane3

I think it varies. Some people absolutely love it and think it's one of the best rides at WDW; other people think it's relatively fun for what it is (not an all-time great attraction) but they can't figure out how it cost even half as much as it cost.
This.
Fun coaster.
How did this thing cost half billion? I'd hate to see what a 300 million coaster would look like if this is the best they did with a half billion dollars.

bhg469

I've noticed from alot of posters that Guardians is somewhat under whelming considering the cost of the ride.

Am i about rite?
Having ridden it a few times now. The ride is great when firing on all cylinders but it is definitely not as good as Universals most recent offerings. Hagrids is a much better themed coaster, and velocicoaster is a much better coaster in general. Going even deeper, revenge of the mummy is better as far as a themed coaster due to practical effects and being able to follow a story line during the ride. Guardians is music first, story second. Queue is really great when it's working and the coaster is super smooth but the more I ride it, the more I feel like it just doesn't measure up... If you don't leave Disney property, you would never know it's not that amazing though.

esskay

Ya, I was kinda joking, but a couple months ago, seeing how far along they were, I did think it was a possibility 😢
I feel you, they've taken way too long to get this far. There's no excuses for this at all, it should've been done and open a good 6-12 months ago.

esskay

This.
Fun coaster.
How did this thing cost half billion? I'd hate to see what a 300 million coaster would look like if this is the best they did with a half billion dollars.
The cost for is is completely obscene when you consider the entire MK park cost $400 million (which in 2022 adjusted is approx $2.8 billion). When you consider MK opened with 23 rides thats $121 million each excluding everything else that went into the park.

The amount of money wasted on GoG does make you wonder where the hell it all went. It's a good ride, but it's not worth even a third of the cost. Heck Epic Univererse 'only' has a budget of $1bn.

Hagrid cost $300 million so there's the comparison. Disney massively screwed up on this one, especially if the IP can't survive the usual long period in which rides go untouched at WDW.

erasure fan1

I think there is plenty of creative talent. The 4th box in the meme should say, “Where did all the MONEY to allow for creativity go?”
My only real push back would be this. This project had plenty of money, as do most Disney rides. I would say the disney imagineers need to find a much better more creative ways to accomplish their ideas. Too often it seems like Disney went on the cheap. Then we see the money spent and say holy jeez.
That's not true. Disney wouldn't be Disney if Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc. were all just industrial boxes sitting in front of you with no facade hiding the ride building while you were walking through the park. The theming is a huge part of the appeal (seeing buildings from places other than on the ground inside the park is much less of a concern).
Agreed. The attention to the theming details, is something most guests might not be able to even point out. But it's that subliminal thing that sets Disney apart from the rest in their minds. Is anyone going to stop going to Disney because Guardians is a warehouse? Probably not. But the more the specialness erodes, you risk people not thinking the experience is what it once was and dropping time from the parks.

Animaniac93-98

Personally, I'm surprised by how many people don't feel Guardians is underwhelming.

To me, Cosmic Rewind is the Emperor Has No Clothes moment of this century for WDW. It is fun, sure, but shockingly basic.

I think it comes down to the lack of competition when comparing it to other WDW coasters.

With Primeval Whirl gone, there's now less than 10 of them across the whole resort, including the yet to open TRON.

GotG is at least among the best WDW roller coasters right now...because the competition includes Barnstormer, Slinky Dog, RNRC and the badly aged Space Mountain [which should be a lot better, but that's another issue].

I'd say BTMRR and Everest are both better for not being giant boxes, but it's not hard to understand why someone would think GotG is more fun at its core. It's at least not as disappointingly short as Seven Dwarfs.

As @bhg469 said, if you don't do much outside of WDW when it comes to theme parks, you'd probably be impressed. The lack of major new, built from scratch EPCOT rides over the last 15 years also makes its arrival more exciting.

Disney Analyst

I think it comes down to the lack of competition when comparing it to other WDW coasters.

With Primeval Whirl gone, there's now less than 10 of them across the whole resort, including the yet to open TRON.

GotG is at least among the best WDW roller coasters right now...because the competition includes Barnstormer, Slinky Dog, RNRC and the badly aged Space Mountain [which should be a lot better, but that's another issue].

I'd say BTMRR and Everest are both better for not being giant boxes, but it's not hard to understand why someone would think GotG is more fun at its core. It's at least not as disappointingly short as Seven Dwarfs.

As @bhg469 said, if you don't do much outside of WDW when it comes to theme parks, you'd probably be impressed. The lack of major new, built from scratch EPCOT rides over the last 15 years also makes its arrival more exciting.

I think the key is: Disney coasters really aren’t designed to compete with the coaster market or coaster parks.

Disney coasters are intended to further flesh out the Disney experience, to add thrills for older demographics, and to remain distinctly Disney.

GOTG is a fun coaster, with an impressive length and scale. It’s great for a Disney theme park.

Bocabear

I think it is a fun ride... The music, the coaster itself... It was a lot of fun...
Not sure how it cost what it cost, but it is great in the lineup, just wish they had done a little more with hiding the building etc.
And if you think that it is short, wait until Tron opens with it's 90 second length... A beautiful setup for a ride that is woefully short. The Shanghai queue was akin to the Disneyland Space Mountain queue... a lot of small hallways with not much going on except overhead monitors, and finally opens up at the loading station. It was a fun ride, but a bit disappointing.

OrlandoRising

Hagrid cost $300 million so there's the comparison. Disney massively screwed up on this one, especially if the IP can't survive the usual long period in which rides go untouched at WDW.

If Universal had decided Hagrid's needed to be entirely enclosed the price tag would have approached Guardians level. And maybe some of that extra money for Guardians went to ensuring reliable operations. Hagrid's still does not operate at its intended capacity and likely never will.

fgmnt

Personally, I'm surprised by how many people don't feel Guardians is underwhelming.

To me, Cosmic Rewind is the Emperor Has No Clothes moment of this century for WDW. It is fun, sure, but shockingly basic.
If you are a normal guest to the parks, you probably like it. If you're one of the weirdos on here (we arent wrong, but we are weird) who knows how much it costs, it makes you feel like you're going insane.

Back to Tron, if you are a normal guest, how long it has taken to build this is of little consequence to you; it's either open or not. If you have been following the 5 year project of building a clone, you definitely start to question the nature of your reality.

OrlandoRising

Guardians seems fine but it wouldn't even be a top 5 ride at EPCOT in 1992.

That's ridiculous. It would have, by a large margin, been the most thrilling ride in a park that was too weighted towards Omnimover and boat rides.

Disney diehards have this dogmatic view that early Epcot was objectively the greatest park ever. Attendance figures in its early years suggest the general public didn't agree. A more balanced ride lineup probably would have helped.

J4546

Hypothetically if they ever tore down and replaced Space Mountain like they are doing in Japan, they could move the new building southwest a bit, opening up a much larger space between tron and SM, and then use/modify the railroad underpass that is used at the current SM or create a new one, and use it as an access point for guest to a new massive courtyard in front of the tron canopy giving it an area like in Shanghai with a dj booth and stuff. Hell you could fit a TRON bar in that space itd be massive

lazyboy97o

If you are a normal guest to the parks, you probably like it. If you're one of the weirdos on here (we arent wrong, but we are weird) who knows how much it costs, it makes you feel like you're going insane.

Back to Tron, if you are a normal guest, how long it has taken to build this is of little consequence to you; it's either open or not. If you have been following the 5 year project of building a clone, you definitely start to question the nature of your reality.
While guests may not know the hows and whys, these sort of issues absolutely have consequences for them. The high cost of attractions is part of why capacity has been squeezed and not adequate.

That's ridiculous. It would have, by a large margin, been the most thrilling ride in a park that was too weighted towards Omnimover and boat rides.

Disney diehards have this dogmatic view that early Epcot was objectively the greatest park ever. Attendance figures in its early years suggest the general public didn't agree. A more balanced ride lineup probably would have helped.
EPCOT Center was successful. Attendance was far more on par with Magic Kingdom and the parks business so successful that it made up for the losses at the studio and kept Walt Disney Productions profitable. There’s a reason Disney is wrapping Epcot in EPCOT Center imagery, because EPCOT Center still carries cultural meaning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom