News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

lazyboy97o

For a large measure in this sue first, ask questions later mindset, its generally safer to not market items based upon objective criteria. Biggest, Fastest, Longest can be subject to interpretation, and suit which lets face it Disney is a deep pocket that would typically have to settle cases out of court for nuisance value.

As for the ride itself, we got to ride it 2 (and a couple of us 3 times) on Sunday and everyone thought it was an amazing ride. The experience itself will market the ride. Disney never has been a park looking for extremes. It seeks to market to the mass market/most people possible. Marketing like Highest Coaster, Fastest Coaster, Most inversions, are for parks like Six Flags, or Cedar Knowes that are looking for Roller Coaster enthusiasts. Thats why people go to those parks. Disney doesn't need to market for that crowd, but also likely doesn't want to. While some people want to ride the fastest or highest roller coaster, you will get multiple people who say "That ride is faster than X....I am not going on that." or "That ride is higher than Y, thats too high for the kids yet"
Longest is an objective criteria and nobody would have standing to sue even if there was some question. This is definitely up there for nonsense concocted to reflexively defend Disney.

JMcMahonEsq

Longest is an objective criteria and nobody would have standing to sue even if there was some question. This is definitely up there for nonsense concocted to reflexively defend Disney.
I wasn't trying to defend Disney here at all. There is no reason to. Nor did I really try. They pay a ton of marketers a hell of a lot of money to come up with a market/ad campaign, and considering the crowds and attendance that they get, i take their approach over the armchair internet warriors here. Neither Disney nor I consider the unsupportable ramblings of internet nerds to be "attacks" worth defending. Disney markets things how the data and marketing companies tell them to I will give them the benefit of the doubt on how they decide to do it.

Second legal standing only requires a plaintiff to show they have some personal interest that has been impacted by the defendant. It's a threshold that is so low it can generally be crawled over rather than needing to be hurdled. The bevy of tinfoil hat wearing plaintiffs could be 1) people who spent money to ride the "longest" indoor coaster only to find out that laugh track in Hershey is 2ft longer, or that one in butthurt Iowa is 30sec longer ride time, ect.

Similarly operators in butthurt who now have people not following their roadway signs proclaiming the longest indoor roller coaster in the world b/c Disney said GofG is longer could also file claims.

Third, It's not just about being right, its about not wanting to spend the time/money/effort to actually do the research to find out if GotG actually is the longest indoor coaster in the world. Have they investigated every park, done any due diligence to make sure some German park off the autobahn doesn't have a longer track or longer ride time attraction? Having done legal review for several of my companies subsidiaries advertisements and press releases, the first thing we red line are claims about achievements, size and "objective" standards. Longest bridge in North America, did anyone verify that? Tallest building in Panama, well did you go out and get the measuring tape on each one? Many times, there hasn't been any due diligence to substantiate the claim and it's not worth the BS to put something out that can later be fact checked and proven wrong. Hell forget lawsuits just the PR nightmare of having some internet troll come out with the indoor park in France that has a foot longer track and how Disney doesn't know what its talking about is enough reason to not advertise it as "longest" anything.

Would Disney still win the lawsuits? I would be willing to almost certainly bet yes. Could they get them kicked on a motion to dismiss? Maybe/maybe not. But none of that matters b/c why bother exposing yourself to the suit if you don't have to? If you haven't noticed marketing in general today is risk averse to almost a lampooning size. If anything has a chance to offend someone or open your company up to even nuisance level litigation, you avoid it at all costs.

mm52200

Curious to see what plans, if any, there are to restore any kind of berm/do anything about sight lines in and out of the park. Currently lots of open views straight out to the road outside the park from the attraction/walkway leading up the attraction.

TrainsOfDisney

Curious to see what plans, if any, there are to restore any kind of berm/do anything about sight lines in and out of the park. Currently lots of open views straight out to the road outside the park from the attraction/walkway leading up the attraction.
The company has shown us how little they care about sightlines now. I wouldn’t expect much but perhaps they’ll plant some trees when they are done with the construction.

lazyboy97o

Which should certainly help a lot, but it's kind of difficult to mitigate the box that towers over Storybook Circus now, especially with what I assume is a necessary water retention pond making it difficult to add anything significant just beyond the railroad tracks.
Ponds can be moved, but the best time to do it would have been years ago. It’s also something we’d most likely know about beforehand since such work would require permission from the South Florida Water Management District.

EricsBiscuit

From today:
19A4390E-8CC0-4503-81D8-9DC08DCFBD84.jpeg
F5FA1F6D-3B3F-4FFD-907D-3E8F8D8A6BC1.jpeg
D9F58739-E69D-4592-8E03-B448810099E5.jpeg
8798F467-7BB4-4A11-9BD9-13EF474D2C0F.jpeg
3B3250D9-2E73-469C-ADE9-EED27C9B999C.jpeg
ED56BBDC-3F4D-4B1A-9403-7DF7F6F02B51.jpeg

solidyne

It is the longest indoor roller coaster in feet, inches, meters, finger-widths, lightyears, au, parsecs, cubits, or hands.
Funny joke, but those are all units of physical distance not units of time. My question still stands. Is GotG the longest indoor coaster in duration or distance or both?

No Name

Funny joke, but those are all units of physical distance not units of time. My question still stands. Is GotG the longest indoor coaster in duration or distance or both?
It’s not the longest in duration, Revenge of the Mummy is longer. But coasters have historically been marketed as “longest” regarding track length irrespective of duration.

ToTBellHop

Every time my college friends discussed the length of something, it was measured in inches, centimeters, etc. No care was paid to time.

I would always remind them that for the fact that Mummy isn’t particularly long but does a lot with what it has and then they’d bring up Gringotts and I’d walk away, shamed.

solidyne

It’s not the longest in duration, Revenge of the Mummy is longer. But coasters have historically been marketed as “longest” regarding track length irrespective of duration.
Thanks! Makes sense. That's what I wasn't sure of.
Use parsec. For Disney's Star Wars, it's a unit of time *and* distance!!
I thought discussion of Episode 8 was prohibited here. Oh wait, was that Solo...?
Every time my college friends discussed the length of something, it was measured in inches, centimeters, etc. No care was paid to time.

I would always remind them that for the fact that Mummy isn’t particularly long but does a lot with what it has and then they’d bring up Gringotts and I’d walk away, shamed.
LOL, unfortunately my stomach bars me from either experience, so I'll have to take your word!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom