News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

trainplane3

gotcha :joyfull: . In college I wrote a startup batch file that warned users that all files were about to be deleted, then played a gurgling drain sound. I put that on one of the PCs in the lab. It did no harm, but caught a few people by surprise.
I had my hands slapped for writing a batch file to run paint and solitaire.

One day I plugged in a flash drive to back up some work I was doing but Cain and Abel autoran (USB switchblade, used it when various friends/customers needed their personal PC unlocked). Of course it triggered an alert that was sent to IT. I was called to the principals office about an hour later to be questioned and turned my flash drive over with a warning of "if you plug that in, it's going to dump passwords and various other info" to which he replied "ok sure it will".

End of day I got it back and magically had his personal passwords along with web history. A month before graduation I said "so, big Destination XL fan? Trying to find something nice for that cruise?". Total shock and surprise. I told him to have his IT folks be much more cautious and to not plug in a flash drive into a PC you actually care about.

*when plugged in, the drive was totally blank and needed tools ran to expose its' contents. Basic IT 101: never plug a random flash drive into a PC you care about*

2 years later some kid used a RDP exploit, got into various teacher PCs, overrode their and others grades, then bragged about it on Facebook. Then they cried about being caught. I laughed, told them to never brag online, and then got what they deserved. They were very unhappy with me that I didn't defend them at all.

doctornick

I was wondering, what’s up with the multiple colors for the exterior panels going up? Unless they’re gonna be painted after the fact? Because from photos I’ve seen, the panels on the show building in Shanghai seem to be a similar color to the light blue seen on the Guardians building in EPCOT. The panels on MK Tron are completely different.

Yeah, this has been curious as they seem more gray for MK than blue like in Shanghai. The effect seems to make the show building more obvious, not less so it's odd.

I don't get why they don't theme the outside of the building. Like with some circuit type imagery or even just mimicking Space Mountain's iconic look to harmonize better.

raymusiccity

Do we know if they they are gonna create a berm by the railroad and barnstormer to try to block some of that building? Where there isn’t a dome covering it.
They'll be able to address sight lines, but, there's absolutely none of that building that's going to be covered.

Incomudro

Once inside the show building, guests are inside the computer.

But the fact that the show building is visible from the outside is just plain bad design, as the building itself isn’t part of the storyline of the ride.

Ok.
So, aren't computers boxes?
I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but this is what I was trying to understand.
If the ride takes place in a computer, we don't really need the show building themed unless we believe it would look better with DELL on the outside and some vent holes usb ports.

Timothy_Q

Ok.
So, aren't computers boxes?
I'm being a bit sarcastic here, but this is what I was trying to understand.
If the ride takes place in a computer, we don't really need the show building themed unless we believe it would look better with DELL on the outside and some vent holes usb ports.
Show buildings don’t necessarily have to be themed to what is inside the ride, they just need to be hidden from view in a way that fits and complements the land it’s in.

Rise of the Resistance show building is hidden with rockwork. But the ride doesn’t take place inside a mountain or cave.

The show building for Soarin at TDS is hidden behind a series of italian residential buildings. The ride doesn’t take place inside an italian house

Last edited:

rudyjr13

Wait until it’s open and complain through official channels if the show building is not to your liking.

What is worse than the theming of the show building are the actual Tron movies. Watched the first one on Disney+ the other day. Woof. What was Bridges doing the whole time in the movie? Everything was a joke to him. Tried the second one and it’s a tough watch. I’m maybe halfway through.

Animaniac93-98

It is frustrating to see Disney invest more in TRON rides, than the TRON franchise, especially if they build a 3rd or 4th version of the coaster elsewhere.

I still want another season of Uprising and a third movie. Disney+ seems like a great place for new content, and not just having several sci-fi shows based on Star Wars.

jt04

Show buildings don’t necessarily have to be themed to what is inside the ride, they just need to be hidden from view in a way that fits and complements the land it’s in.

Rise of the Resistance show building is hidden with rockwork. But the ride doesn’t take place inside a mountain or cave.

The show building for Soarin at TDS is hidden behind a series of italian residential buildings. The ride doesn’t take place inside an italian house

The only silver lining I see in leaving the exterior blank i s it could allow for projections at night. But some sort of themed exterior seems preferable. Especially if it also used projections.

justintheharris

Shanghai is sited differently, but it’s not hard to figure out. There are also plenty of posts showing how the showbuilding is visible in Shanghai.
And don't you know all the fans in Shanghai Disney riot about it? They stand outside guest relations and the front gates and outside the attraction screaming at the top of their lungs about it? Demanding Disney outright tear the ride down because of it? They'd rather have no ride at all than Tron because Tron's show building is visible.

Oh, also to follow in their footsteps, don't ride the ride. Because plenty of people, such as myself and over 95% of Disney parks fans, want to ride it. One less person in the line will be quite helpful to us. And none of us will care that the show building is visible.

Also, I don't see you complaining about Winnie The Pooh's or Peter Pan's Flight's or Its A Small World's show building is visible. I guess its an exception because Iger didn't do it.

lazyboy97o

And don't you know all the fans in Shanghai Disney riot about it? They stand outside guest relations and the front gates and outside the attraction screaming at the top of their lungs about it? Demanding Disney outright tear the ride down because of it? They'd rather have no ride at all than Tron because Tron's show building is visible.

Oh, also to follow in their footsteps, don't ride the ride. Because plenty of people, such as myself and over 95% of Disney parks fans, want to ride it. One less person in the line will be quite helpful to us. And none of us will care that the show building is visible.

Also, I don't see you complaining about Winnie The Pooh's or Peter Pan's Flight's or Its A Small World's show building is visible. I guess its an exception because Iger didn't do it.
Then go to Six Flags if you don’t actually care about design. Or you’re not being honest with yourself and things like design and “details” actually matter to a theme park.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Those buildings are visible . . . and designed to be seen. Pooh's building was a bigger offender as Mr. Toad when the park first opened, but buildings were put in over the years that fixed it. Even then, they all feature Castle Wall-style theming that speaks to the architecture of the area and don't intrude on areas where that does not fit.

TRON is an unthemed box that was designed in Shanghai to be angled away from the park to the extent that the Canopy would cover most of it. They made that (mostly) work from inside the park, since the park was designed from scratch along with the ride and they could accommodate it. That same building is now being plopped down on the edge of the Magic Kingdom in a spot that is much more visible to guests both inside the park and outside, and nothing is being done to theme, disguise, or obscure the box. TRON Shanghai cannot be seen from Fantasyland - TRON Magic Kingdom can, in a big way, and it isn't a flattering angle.

Doesn't mean the ride won't be fun or that we can't enjoy it, but we shouldn't pretend that Disney is living up to their own standards by permitting the design to create large visual intrusions in and around the Magic Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom