News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TrojanUSC

All one needs to do is stand at the Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain or DINOSAUR and revel at the amazing ways in which Imagineers hid the massive warehouse show buildings. Then, after doing that, head over to Tomorrowland and look at this hideous, unthemed blue box with only a canopy obstructing its view.

When I used to take guests backstage, they'd truly MARVEL at the fact Splash Mountain wasn't actually in a mountain, but rather a big warehouse. Here people will just say "what's in big box?" unless they're directly in front of the ride, then they'll know.

justintheharris

All one needs to do is stand at the Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain or DINOSAUR and revel at the amazing ways in which Imagineers hid the massive warehouse show buildings. Then, after doing that, head over to Tomorrowland and look at this hideous, unthemed blue box with only a canopy obstructing its view.

When I used to take guests backstage, they'd truly MARVEL at the fact Splash Mountain wasn't actually in a mountain, but rather a big warehouse. Here people will just say "what's in big box?" unless they're directly in front of the ride, then they'll know.
Okay I'll do that next week. Wait a second, there is no blue box. It's not even half done. Maybe I'll try in 2021 like any sensible person would.

Last edited:

justintheharris

Was this not the same discussion that we had about Pandora. Came out pretty good. Also about the new Ratatouille ride and that is looking great so far and it is not even done.
There is no winning. These people hate literally everything Disney is doing. I honestly don't believe they have a positive thing to say about it and even if they claim they want something, Disney could announce it tomorrow and they would give us a long lecture on how they actually wanted it done some particular way that Disney isn't doing. I've never seen a more nitpicky group of people.

cheezbat

There is no winning. These people hate literally everything Disney is doing. I honestly don't believe they have a positive thing to say about it and even if they claim they want something, Disney could announce it tomorrow and they would give us a long lecture on how they actually wanted it done some particular way that Disney isn't doing. I've never seen a more nitpicky group of people.
The problem is Disney has set the bar so high for themselves...they always try to hide show buildings...look at how they went back and made sure things were all covered when they built New Fantasyland...so we know they care at least a bit.

I think for those that know of Disney’s other works around the world, they just get frustrated at the lack of quality and attention to detail that WDW tends to get on projects vs other resorts. Look at Rat for example: full on courtyard and show building covered up in Paris. In Epcot there’s a big green box sticking out behind Morocco.
The new Soarin’ in Tokyo DisneySea got a full themed exterior. Even in DCA it’s at least themed to an air hangar. In Epcot - big blue building.
Look at the detail and work in the new Fantasyland area in Tokyo...also doing everything to hide all show building elements. Guardians in Epcot is the exact opposite...another big green and blue box.

It’s not that we can’t get good stuff anymore...Pandora was pretty well done with a solid E-ticket. Even Galaxy’s Edge is a massive land with great theming and solid at hiding showbuildings from inside the park...so we know Disney can do it, they just don’t choose to do it all the time anymore in the US parks.

That is what drives so many of us fans to complain. WDW was the BEST, and should be the BEST that Disney parks and resorts has to offer since it’s the flagship resort.

celluloid

Okay I'll do that next week. Wait a second, there is no blue box. It's not even half done. Maybe I'll try in 2021 like any sensible person would.

Any sensible person would realize that if it takes them until 2021 to finish this cloned one minute launch coaster in a dark warehouse with minimal theming would know that the efforts of hiding it are not going to happen.

justintheharris

The problem is Disney has set the bar so high for themselves...they always try to hide show buildings...look at how they went back and made sure things were all covered when they built New Fantasyland...so we know they care at least a bit.

I think for those that know of Disney’s other works around the world, they just get frustrated at the lack of quality and attention to detail that WDW tends to get on projects vs other resorts. Look at Rat for example: full on courtyard and show building covered up in Paris. In Epcot there’s a big green box sticking out behind Morocco.
The new Soarin’ in Tokyo DisneySea got a full themed exterior. Even in DCA it’s at least themed to an air hangar. In Epcot - big blue building.
Look at the detail and work in the new Fantasyland area in Tokyo...also doing everything to hide all show building elements. Guardians in Epcot is the exact opposite...another big green and blue box.

It’s not that we can’t get good stuff anymore...Pandora was pretty well done with a solid E-ticket. Even Galaxy’s Edge is a massive land with great theming and solid at hiding showbuildings from inside the park...so we know Disney can do it, they just don’t choose to do it all the time anymore in the US parks.

That is what drives so many of us fans to complain. WDW was the BEST, and should be the BEST that Disney parks and resorts has to offer since it’s the flagship resort.
So I agree Disney World should be THE best but do you not hear how nitpicky it sounds to say Ratatouille in Paris gets a full courtyard when we are also getting a fully themed courtyard? Unless you're looking for it, you're not going to notice the Ratatouille show building. Guardians of the Galaxy is much easier to spot but again, with its sky blue background, unless you look for it, you're unlikely to notice or care. I promise if you spent as much time at parks overseas as you do WDW, you could find stuff in the other parks that's equally flawed.

And it begs the question, if the Ratatouille show building is so offensive, how would you have concealed it?

Bocabear

Well, for one, they could have built facades around the entire warehouse...so there is no visible green box from Morocco...other than that, when the other facades are in place it will be fine.
GOTG not so much...It will never be fine and will always be a giant warehouse building.
Tron building is an issue... It is the shape that will be impossible to hide... Perhaps they could have specially designed a building to fit the vernacular of Tomorrowland ... Something that was not a clone , but unique for it's unique setting...It can be done...The Shanghai version of the ride is not the penultimate it could be greatly improved.
but won't with current leadership.

RaveOnEd

There look to be other show buildings that are visible here and there, aren't there? When you look at the Mattercam of Disneyland, you can see the buildings for Space Mountain and Primeval World right next to the one road.

How visible are those from street level? There have been stories of people walking alongside Disneyland and hearing the dinosaurs from a service door outside the park.

And, those aren't decorated or camouflaged at all. It looks like the back of a strip mall, essentially. Just a bare, tan wall with some doors and floodlights along the roofline.

Bocabear

There look to be other show buildings that are visible here and there, aren't there? When you look at the Mattercam of Disneyland, you can see the buildings for Space Mountain and Primeval World right next to the one road.

How visible are those from street level? There have been stories of people walking alongside Disneyland and hearing the dinosaurs from a service door outside the park.

And, those aren't decorated or camouflaged at all. It looks like the back of a strip mall, essentially. Just a bare, tan wall with some doors and floodlights along the roofline.
the Matter Cam is high above the park...likewise the show buildings are not visible from within the park itself...the idea was to hide all show buildings from ground level...to not break the illusion...Yes you can pick this apart with different examples, but there is nothing like a great visible warehouse looming behind Pirates or The Haunted mansion... Care was taken so these things would be in scale from street view and not visually intrude... The Tron building will most likely be viisble from many points in the park, and the box portion is what I am talking about...If the structure were completely covered with the amoeba like canopy, it probably would not be so jarring, though I feel like the entire scale of Tron would have been better suited to a larger park like EPCOT.. At least it would not be fighting the scale and style of the attractions around it.

RaveOnEd

the Matter Cam is high above the park...likewise the show buildings are not visible from within the park itself...the idea was to hide all show buildings from ground level...to not break the illusion...Yes you can pick this apart with different examples, but there is nothing like a great visible warehouse looming behind Pirates or The Haunted mansion... Care was taken so these things would be in scale from street view and not visually intrude... The Tron building will most likely be viisble from many points in the park, and the box portion is what I am talking about...If the structure were completely covered with the amoeba like canopy, it probably would not be so jarring, though I feel like the entire scale of Tron would have been better suited to a larger park like EPCOT.. At least it would not be fighting the scale and style of the attractions around it.
I do see your point, but you're also talking about Pirates and Haunted, both buildings that enclose flat dark rides for the most part (rides that are going at most from the second, or WDW ground, level down to the first, or "Utilidor" level). Those show buildings are much easier to conceal from line of sight.

Even if they did some form of camouflage, you're talking about roller coasters that will be involving show buildings for most of the experience. They have to have height, a good amount of it.

I do understand the point, that it's half baked in doing the rides without more done to the show buildings. But I would much rather see what they look like when they're complete as opposed to seeing what's there now.

Timothy_Q

I do see your point, but you're also talking about Pirates and Haunted, both buildings that enclose flat dark rides for the most part (rides that are going at most from the second, or WDW ground, level down to the first, or "Utilidor" level). Those show buildings are much easier to conceal from line of sight.

Even if they did some form of camouflage, you're talking about roller coasters that will be involving show buildings for most of the experience. They have to have height, a good amount of it.
Disney's done well-themed tall show buildings before.
Taller than Tron actually

Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Tower of Terror, Everest

RaveOnEd

Disney's done well-themed tall show buildings before.
Taller than Tron actually

Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Tower of Terror, Everest
All of those involve the ride being in the show building itself, not something where you're going into the front section, with the rest of the ride being behind that in a building you go into.

The architecture involved are two separate ways of making these rides. I'm still on the side of waiting to see what these specific ones look like when they're completed.

Timothy_Q

All of those involve the ride being in the show building itself, not something where you're going into the front section, with the rest of the ride being behind that in a building you go into.
The ride having an outside section makes absolutely no difference.

Everest, DLP's Space Mountain and Matterhorn all have track that goes outside the show building

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom