News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's this many degrees....

Marc Davis Fan

The real sightline issue is the view from across Seven Seas Lagoon. It’s one of the most beautiful vistas at any Disney property, anywhere in the world. And for decades, the Magic Kingdom’s skyline has been updated with this consideration squarely in mind. My fingers are crossed that this won’t permanently change it for the worse.

Also, the approach from the monorail is not a trivial part of the MK experience, either.

Mike S

Not sure what the stupid pedantry is about, but it’s not on a 45 degree angle either. Do you want an exact degree it is angled? It’s the north elevation. That’s how rectangular buildings are described, even when angled. In China it’s the south elevation even though it doesn’t face due south. None of which changes it’s already clear visibility.
Didn’t mean it that way. This only started because I was wondering how a part that only faces backstage matters.

RaveOnEd

The real sightline issue is the view from across Seven Seas Lagoon. It’s one of the most beautiful vistas at any Disney property, anywhere in the world. And for decades, the Magic Kingdom’s skyline has been updated with this consideration squarely in mind. My fingers are crossed that this won’t permanently change it for the worse.

Also, the approach from the monorail is not a trivial part of the MK experience, either.
From what I see from different aerial photos and thinking of when the overall ride is finished, I don't think you'll be able to see much of the show building from many vantage points.

And since MK has it's hallmarks, coming in from the monorail that direction, you may just end up looking right past it and see Space Mountain and over to Cinderella's Castle.

lazyboy97o

From what I see from different aerial photos and thinking of when the overall ride is finished, I don't think you'll be able to see much of the show building from many vantage points.

And since MK has it's hallmarks, coming in from the monorail that direction, you may just end up looking right past it and see Space Mountain and over to Cinderella's Castle.
The showbuilding is already visible.

RaveOnEd

The showbuilding is already visible.
But construction isn't completed yet. That's really the only thing that's mostly up from a vertical standpoint, as far as the last images I saw.

I'll bet it changes once the track comes out further and the complete canopy is built. Plus they'll probably put in trees that, over time, will grow to conceal most of the building.

Casper Gutman

But construction isn't completed yet. That's really the only thing that's mostly up from a vertical standpoint, as far as the last images I saw.

I'll bet it changes once the track comes out further and the complete canopy is built. Plus they'll probably put in trees that, over time, will grow to conceal most of the building.
We know what the canopy will conceal based on Shanghai. Not much. In fact, the canopy has always struck me as a fancier version of the giant props at All-Star or Animation: something stuck on to a giant warehouse that really doesn't hide the fact that it's a giant warehouse.

And trees aren't going to be able to cover the box, especially when viewed from the monorail or the Contemporary.

Folks need to accept that this, coupled with GotG, are ample evidence that sightlines are one more thing modern WDW doesn't care about because they think you're too stupid to notice.

justintheharris

We know what the canopy will conceal based on Shanghai. Not much. In fact, the canopy has always struck me as a fancier version of the giant props at All-Star or Animation: something stuck on to a giant warehouse that really doesn't hide the fact that it's a giant warehouse.

And trees aren't going to be able to cover the box, especially when viewed from the monorail or the Contemporary.

Folks need to accept that this, coupled with GotG, are ample evidence that sightlines are one more thing modern WDW doesn't care about because they think you're too stupid to notice.
No, they don't care about sightlines because they're interested in building quality rides for guests to enjoy rather than enjoying a sightline.

lazyboy97o

Why does the construction being incomplete matter? The steel columns will be faced with Z-girts to which insulated metal panels will be fastened. It’ll be a big warehouse wall.

The showbuilding is generally a rectangle. The canopy is only on one side. It does not wrap around the show building. It will only partially block views from directly out front.

The bulk of the building is just over 80’ tall. Trees tall enough to block the showbuilding will cause other problems, like sticking up next to Space Mountain.

No, they don't care about sightlines because they're interested in building quality rides for guests to enjoy rather than enjoying a sightline.
So the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is not a quality ride?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

So telling a story inside the theme parks no longer matters to the execs who are pushing "story-telling"? Or does "story-telling" only apply to movie IP making its way into every nook and cranny? Asking for a friend/chairman of a division at a large, multi-national corporation.

justintheharris

So telling a story inside the theme parks no longer matters to the execs who are pushing "story-telling"? Or does "story-telling" only apply to movie IP making its way into every nook and cranny? Asking for a friend/chairman of a division at a large, multi-national corporation.
No, you guys are having an aneurysm over a sightline that isn't even completed yet. The show building will be mostly concealed. No guests off of this forum actually care if the show building is slightly visible for an indoor roller coaster. If the flat side of Everest was visible, that would be a different story and would be quite distracting. However, for a roller coaster such as Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy, nobody cares except this forum. AND if they did "make it a work of art" as many people say they should, the entire forum would be freaking out about how ugly the design is. This forum is destined to complain about literally everything. Everything.

justintheharris

It was but it’s also visible from a lot more places and isn’t just a warehouse.
Yes that ride has a theme. So does Tron. It has a canopy that conceals the show building from most practical angles. If you make an effort to see the show building, you are going to see it. Most guests probably won't notice it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom