News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

halltd

I know this has been beaten to death, but...

Whenever there’s a situation where we observe Disney seeming to think this way (likely including the one describe here), it’s amazing to remember that the entire company’s success was built on their NOT thinking this way.

They’re standing on the shoulders of those who thought holistically and long-term, and then, not.
They also made ride buildings icons (when you could see them from a guest area) and not just giant boxes. Part of the beauty of the Magic Kingdom (and most Disney parks) is that you walk into a facade that your imagination usually says IS the ride. Like, Haunted Mansion, etc... Most people don't realize the ride box is somewhere else...and a giant warehouse. But, now those warehouse boxes are on display....and sometimes even visible before you enter the park. :cry:

Incomudro

They also made ride buildings icons (when you could see them from a guest area) and not just giant boxes. Part of the beauty of the Magic Kingdom (and most Disney parks) is that you walk into a facade that your imagination usually says IS the ride. Like, Haunted Mansion, etc... Most people don't realize the ride box is somewhere else...and a giant warehouse. But, now those warehouse boxes are on display....and sometimes even visible before you enter the park. :cry:

True.
Though I'd imagine that the average guest still isn't going to realize that GotG's coaster portion takes place in the box.
Most people probably won't know where they are.
The Tron box is pushed back as well, I'm not sure how many people riding Tron will realize that there is an indoor portion of the ride in the box - unless they can see the cars enter the box from the cue.
Still, Disney used to hide the box.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
True.
Though I'd imagine that the average guest still isn't going to realize that GotG's coaster portion takes place in the box.
The Tron box is pushed back as well, I'm not sure how many people riding Tron will realize that there is an indoor portion of the ride in the box - unless they can see the cars enter the box from the cue.

Unless it was Disney-MGM, and then they called the box a studio. ;)

SirWillow

Unless it was Disney-MGM, and then they called the box a studio. ;)

But at least the box looked like something that fit in with the park instead of just a box. It made sense to have "studio buildings" at a movie studio rather than just a giant blue or green box.

It's a bit sad to see how many of these are now popping up in the parks seemingly without much concern on the part of those who should care.

lazyboy97o

True.
You can see the box from the walk up, the queue and the ride. You literally re-enter the building by just going into a hole in the warehouse wall.

Incomudro

You can see the box from the walk up, the queue and the ride. You literally re-enter the building by just going into a hole in the warehouse wall.

I find the Tron box less troubling than the Guardians box.
Is it thematically wrong for a Tron cycle to enter a box?
It would be nice for Disney to hide its view from certain angles by the use of trees, berms, etc.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
A couple of days old. Had the boy take pics from the car
EFF06E11-FF1D-4126-8681-20B2772CC702.jpeg
150638CC-AB4C-4ACE-9298-A3081D55D2B2.jpeg

Mike S

The canopy does not wrap the building at all. The north side will be exposed. Steel is also already visible behind Space Mountain from Seven Seas Lagoon.
The way Magic Kingdom is laid out wouldn’t the north side be facing the backstage road anyway since this ride is at the back of the park?

msteel

Photo update as of Saturday, September 21, 2019. Status of terraced landscaping outside the railroad tracks at the Magic Kingdom. Not sure this is completely finished, there is still some bare ground and construction vehicles. Appears to be just large trees and grass. I was expecting more, perhaps seasonal flowering plants.

View attachment 412903

View attachment 412904

(Quoted for the pictures)
Here is something that has been bothering me. Unless the photo angle is deceiving, these slopes do not look like they are steep enough to require a retaining wall just to hold back the soil. Why are there even retaining walls here in the first place, and not just a slope?

Mike730

(Quoted for the pictures)
Here is something that has been bothering me. Unless the photo angle is deceiving, these slopes do not look like they are steep enough to require a retaining wall just to hold back the soil. Why are there even retaining walls here in the first place, and not just a slope?
It seems pretty steep to me, but the walls are weird for sure. Why the terracing? Why the curves? Almost seems like we're missing something.

disneyC97

You'll have to go behind the Barnstormer to be able to see it. Landscaping will be added in locations needed to keep it hidden from most locations.
I hope so. It should be noted that now fairly well-hidden or themed Magic Kingdom show buildings weren't always that way...

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/08/go-away-green.html

Some still aren't...whenever I approach the Crystal Palace from the Adventureland side the ugly unthemed back of the Main Street buildings are clearly visible and hard to miss (now with the added fall protection railings that are everywhere, but that's a different complaint for another day...)

lazyboy97o

The way Magic Kingdom is laid out wouldn’t the north side be facing the backstage road anyway since this ride is at the back of the park?
The building is not at a true East-west alignment, so the north side is angled towards the northwest. Except for that one vantage in Tomorrowland looking straight ahead, any steel visible now will not be obscured by the canopy.

Mike S

The building is not at a true East-west alignment, so the north side is angled towards the northwest. Except for that one vantage in Tomorrowland looking straight ahead, any steel visible now will not be obscured by the canopy.
If it’s angled to the northwest then that’s not north, that’s northwest.

lazyboy97o

If it’s angled to the northwest then that’s not north, that’s northwest.
Not sure what the stupid pedantry is about, but it’s not on a 45 degree angle either. Do you want an exact degree it is angled? It’s the north elevation. That’s how rectangular buildings are described, even when angled. In China it’s the south elevation even though it doesn’t face due south. None of which changes it’s already clear visibility.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom