News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Buried20KLeague

I still wish they had skipped the canopy/outside portion for our version. It might be a visual, kinetic weenie, but it really takes away from the themeing and immersiveness for me.

Perfect world, the entire attraction would have been enclosed with the show building themed as an ENCOM research center. Queue would be two parts (real world and computer world) separated by a preshow room where we'd be zapped into the computer world by the laser. Effect would be achieved either by a false wall or projection mapping.

Have you been on the ride? That's the only good part.

Ismael Flores

In shanghai you can see the thing from EVERYWHERE. At ground level.

ETA: You can even see it from the Fantasyland area behind the castle in Shanghai. You know what's at a similar angle? The contemporary and the monorail approach. I'll put money on it you'll even be able to see it coming over on the ferry.

That building (and the canopy to a lesser extent) is gonna screw with Space Mountain's perspective. In a big way.

You have to remember that Shanghai Disneyland was purposely underbuilt on a much larger plot of land. As the park expands more of the now vacant areas will be built in and also landscape will fill in helping hide some of the site lines. Shanghai Disneyland also has more level variances than Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. That also makes the large show building even more visible. Tomorrowland itself in Shanghai is pretty barren

Bartattack

I found that the show-building was actually not THAT noticable in Shanghai. They did a pretty good job hiding it. The only place it was very noticeable was when walking from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland because that was an empty spot. (Toy Story land was not yet build).

Attachments

• DSC_3724.JPG
    DSC_3724.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_3746.JPG
    DSC_3746.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1742.JPG
    IMG_1742.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_5623.JPG
    IMG_5623.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 207

Buried20KLeague

You have to remember that Shanghai Disneyland was purposely underbuilt on a much larger plot of land. As the park expands more of the now vacant areas will be built in and also landscape will fill in helping hide some of the site lines. Shanghai Disneyland also has more level variances than Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. That also makes the large show building even more visible. Tomorrowland itself in Shanghai is pretty barren

The building will be a problem from the contemporary and the monorail approach.

Buried20KLeague

Is that really an issue? From those perspectives you are on vacation going to a park, not immersed in a story/world.

It will dwarf the castle and Space Mountain. That's the problem, IMO. Screws up the perspective.

I mean, it is what it is... I just don't have to like it. Something that effects the skyline like that and is in such close proximity to a major icon (SM) should be fully themed and made to work WITH the perspectives of the other buildings it's near.

Unbanshee

In shanghai you can see the thing from EVERYWHERE. At ground level.

ETA: You can even see it from the Fantasyland area behind the castle in Shanghai. You know what's at a similar angle? The contemporary and the monorail approach. I'll put money on it you'll even be able to see it coming over on the ferry.

That building (and the canopy to a lesser extent) is gonna screw with Space Mountain's perspective. In a big way.

There's no way to hide it from Storybook Circus

RoysCabin

Yes, it is an issue. When at the Contemporary or on the Monorail, you are immersed in a world ... DISNEY World. This view is different from the view from AK parking lot. It should be special. It will now be ruined.

Kind of thought of something during my last trip that I think had been in my head going back a few years, but I hadn't quite found the words until recently: it sometimes feel like modern Disney management (you can go back a couple decades on this if you want to) tends to forget that the entirety of Disney World is part of "the show". Obviously there are some places and utilities that need to be where they need to be, but things as simple as sight lines when approaching a park, or not breaking up the visual unity of a resort with a new tower (hi, Contemporary and Grand Floridian) used to feel like a bigger consideration.

DCLcruiser

Yes, it is an issue. When at the Contemporary or on the Monorail, you are immersed in a world ... DISNEY World. This view is different from the view from AK parking lot. It should be special. It will now be ruined.
I get the idea, but in reality, you see parking lots and a lot of back-of-the-house facilities when on the Monorail. Also, the Contemporary doesn't really scream Disney magic (and it's my favorite hotel). Do they even still do the night-time light show in Bay Lake?

Monorail_Orange

I get the idea, but in reality, you see parking lots and a lot of back-of-the-house facilities when on the Monorail. Also, the Contemporary doesn't really scream Disney magic (and it's my favorite hotel). Do they even still do the night-time light show in Bay Lake?
Yes. See the GF Walkway thread. The Electrical Water Paegent seems as though it will continue. (I say this not because there have been any rumors of it's demise, but we never know anymore what's safe and what's going on the chopping block to budget cuts anymore.)

RoysCabin

Electric water pageant? I watched it while waiting for the resort monorail late last month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom