News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

UpAllNight

I do think there's too much of an acceptance of Disneys slowness around here with certain things.

Look at how fast serious construction projects are going up worldwide not just in the themed entertainment business but across all sectors, and then defend Disneys 4 year timeline for projects like this...but I get the 50th argument.

There will be an expectation for more announcements during the next d23 in 2019 regarding the 50th though...I wonder if this awesome d23 for WDW has set the next one up for unfortunate disappointment.

21stamps

And I thought Kali River Rapids felt short.... Obviously knew this would be shorter, but that's 30 seconds shorter than RNRC, and would be the shortest ride on resort, no?

The closest I could find was Barnstormer (which is painfully short) and is still 13 seconds longer than Tron...

Wait, Tron will be shorter than Barnstormer?!
I didn't even think that was possible.lol.

However, with the absence of a lift hill it should feel longer.

Kevin_W

Depending on loading it can be 50-odd seconds from launch to final brakes.

7DMT, RnRR, Kali - these are all rides that could be made much, much better just by making them longer. 2-3 minuets seems the standard for rollercoasters elsewhere, I'm curious why Disney insists on building them so short. Surely the incremental cost cannot be that high.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
7DMT, RnRR, Kali - these are all rides that could be made much, much better just by making them longer. 2-3 minuets seems the standard for rollercoasters elsewhere, I'm curious why Disney insists on building them so short. Surely the incremental cost cannot be that high.
Only thing I can think of is to get more people per hour, but I could be way off base here

ToTBellHop

That's hardly the norm for launching coasters. Disney's coasters with lift hills are the typical length. A lot of time is spent on lift hills. Granted, lift hills allow for show scenes.

lazyboy97o

I do think there's too much of an acceptance of Disneys slowness around here with certain things.

Look at how fast serious construction projects are going up worldwide not just in the themed entertainment business but across all sectors, and then defend Disneys 4 year timeline for projects like this...but I get the 50th argument.

There will be an expectation for more announcements during the next d23 in 2019 regarding the 50th though...I wonder if this awesome d23 for WDW has set the next one up for unfortunate disappointment.
Part of the problem is that Disney announces projects very early. It is not unusual for projects to be announced after Concept Design. That leaves Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documentation before construction can even begin. Even with clones those steps still need to occur to adapt the design intent to its new location.

rle4lunch

I agree about Kali. That's the shortest water raft ride I've ever seen. We don't even put it on the list when visiting AK, it's such a waste.

solidyne

Only thing I can think of is to get more people per hour, but I could be way off base here
Wouldn't adding track length still leave the exact same load time? You'd still have the same number boarding per hour, but they'd be on longer! (Assuming you had enough trains in action.)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Obviously knew this would be shorter, but that's 30 seconds shorter than RNRC, and would be the shortest ride on resort, no?

Lightcycle is essentially 60 seconds from the moment the train launches until the moment the train's speed is fully reduced by the brakes. By comparison, Rockin' Rollercoaster is about 70 seconds when comparing the same launch to brake time... though RNRC has a MCBR which slows the train pretty considerably which would add to the "ride time". Both coasters have that "pre-launch" build up between when the train leaves the station and when the launches that adds slightly to the ride experience time, however, similar to RNRC, this time is minimal and does not include any substantial time or dark ride elements.

21stamps

I don't think 2-3 minutes is the norm for a coaster.. 3 minutes is actually on the longer end.

FerretAfros

It's not quite exact in the art. They aren't putting riders in the direct path of the smoke.
In addition to the guests, I have to imagine that Disney doesn't want the train's smoke reaching the transparent roof structure either, which would detract from its futuristic look and potentially cause maintenance issues for the lights.

DL has a similar issue with their it's a small world façade, which has white and gold leaf arches extending over the tracks; no matter how good people claim DL's maintenance to be, those arches are always covered with soot. Considering that the Tron roof would be a lot more difficult to access and clean, I suspect they'll want to avoid any exhaust in that area entirely
maxresdefault.jpg

The only real way to avoid this is to enclose the train in some sort of tunnel, with a ventilation system. Someone already mentioned potentially adding a diorama in this area (some used dinosaur AAs are about to become available from Epcot), but I wonder if they might have windows looking into the ride, like at Splash Mountain or DLP's Pirates, instead or in addition to a diorama. It would be a nice way to "double dip" and get multiple additions for the price of one, and allow people who might otherwise not be able to see inside the attraction

It sounds like there are other designs in that area that still haven't been finalized or announced, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Jordanaous

There's a launch coaster over here in the UK that lasts just 20 seconds, and another that lasts 49 seconds. So Tron is technically towards the longer end of that... Just wouldn't want to wait 3 hours in a queue for a ride that lasts less than 30 seconds.

Always found the Disney coasters to be of considerable length, definitely versus other Six Flag-style theme parks, was disappointed with 7DMT though. Even though it's not considerably shorter than BTMRR, just feels like not much really happens in the 2mins 50secs you're on the ride.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Barnstormer:

Start of motion to lift hill crest: 23 seconds
Ride to stop outside station: 32 seconds

Total 55 seconds.

If it was a launch, it would be no more than 40 seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom