News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

wannabeBelle

Nope, this is great information. I always just scratch my head why a park like Kings Island can build a new coaster in roughly ten months but the same ride takes so much longer in WDW. However, I'm not privy to all the background work that KI has already done before they start construction.
I was stunned to find out that ALL Of EPCOT only took 3 years to build!! Marie

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even if a "clone" there is still a ton of design work, particularly in construction documents, that would need to be done to have it built in WDW. They wouldn't be able to take all the drawings and engineering and just submit them for permit. Besides the metric to imperial conversions, there would be an enormous amount of work regarding accessibility, wind loads, seismic activity, FL sinkholes, and so on and so on.

Sorry didn't mean to answer for him. Just saw the post and thought I'd contribute what I know.
That takes two years? When EPCOT Center was built in three?

Pixieish

But then - and this is the truly shocking thing - they failed to take the necessary next step: building heavily themed stores with unique merchandise to persuade guests to shop somewhere other then the single mega-shop near each parks entrance.

Look at TSL. That land should have had several highly themed stores with one-of-a-kind elements. Perhaps Ms. Potato Head runs one and a big AA comments on guest purchases - they already know how to build AA Potatoes. Maybe another store allows kids to design their own toy coasters like Andy supposedly did and then buy the kit they made for absurd sums. Something, anything to get people IN the stores and get them to STAY there. Instead, TSL has NO shops (and almost no shade).

WDW failed at the one thing at which it is supposed to be the best in the world - pushing merchandise. The miscalculations regarding MM+ are breathtaking.

My husband and I were just talking last night about how there are very few stores that have unique merch now in comparison to when we were on our honeymoon in 2000. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part, it's the same stuff everywhere...which is a huge shame because the attraction/land specific stuff is the stuff people want and will pay more for, but they shouldn't have to hunt for it.

Missing20K

That takes two years? When EPCOT Center was built in three?

I can't speak to the exact process here, just speaking from experience in designing and administering construction of large scale buildings. You might be amazed at the glacial pace of construction these days. Engineers, particularly, are not known for their speed in creating documents, at least the one's we use.

You would know far better than I, but EPCOT Center wasn't designed and constructed in three years, was it? There seems to be many years of design iteration for EPCOT before shovel went to ground, no? Truly asking, as I am in awe of your knowledge of the Disney history.

EDIT: Also, did they use third party architecture and construction firms then, or did they do everything in house then? I have no clue.

Last edited:

Missing20K

The Polynesian hotel went from dirt to welcoming guests in 8 months...seriously. It took almost 2 years to complete a gazebo in DAK...

No clue about the gazebo, but the Poly is essentially a 50's/60's motor lodge dressed up. Not to mention we aren't discussing creating the design and construction documents. As well as the fact the regulatory environment regarding ADA accessibility and International, State, and Local Building Codes wasn't remotely what it is today.

celluloid

No clue about the gazebo, but the Poly is essentially a 50's/60's motor lodge dressed up. Not to mention we aren't discussing creating the design and construction documents. As well as the fact the regulatory environment regarding ADA accessibility and International, State, and Local Building Codes wasn't remotely what it is today.

These things are true, But the way we build and manufacture things have also improved and expedited to negate most of that as well. It is fiscal calendar and pleasing shareholders now more than anything else.

Also, this coaster is a predesigned model in a show building that already has media completed and proof of concepts.

Bocabear

I
The Polynesian was a lot more than a 60s motor lodge... That is an over simplification... and I am sure there are more regulations now, but 2 years and 4 months worth of regulations? I have no expectaion of them building this ride in 8 months, but 3+ years seems awfully excessive.
dcr101893LARGE.jpg

Missing20K

I
The Polynesian was a lot more than a 60s motor lodge... That is an over simplification... and I am sure there are more regulations now, but 2 years and 4 months worth of regulations? I have no expectaion of them building this ride in 8 months, but 3+ years seems awfully excessive.
dcr101893LARGE.jpg

Take the "thatch" roofs off and you have a collection of two story motor lodges.

And yes, the regulatory environment adds an incredible amount of time to the process. There are so many agencies that need to "sign off" on plans that to get them approved alone can take months in some locales.

EDIT: As an example, I'm currently working on what is essentially a utility shed for a national telecom. It's 20 feet by 40 feet. I've been working on it for 4 months. No approvals from the Historic Board yet, no Building Permit yet, no shovel to ground. This is a structure that does not even hold any people, just equipment. Yes the regulatory environment for construction is a major hurdle to the speed of the process.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can't speak to the exact process here, just speaking from experience in designing and administering construction of large scale buildings. You might be amazed at the glacial pace of construction these days. Engineers, particularly, are not known for their speed in creating documents, at least the one's we use.

You would know far better than I, but EPCOT Center wasn't designed and constructed in three years, was it? There seems to be many years of design iteration for EPCOT before shovel went to ground, no? Truly asking, as I am in awe of your knowledge of the Disney history.

EDIT: Also, did they use third party architecture and construction firms then, or did they do everything in house then? I have no clue.
Fair point about the design time. Design for the park as-built began in early 79 and finished roughly in August 1982 (no joke). Design was virtually all in house I belive but construction was sub contracted to just about everyone. The running joke was phase one opened October 1982 but was finished December 1982.

Bocabear

Take the "thatch" roofs off and you have a collection of two story motor lodges.

And yes, the regulatory environment adds an incredible amount of time to the process. There are so many agencies that need to "sign off" on plans that to get them approved alone can take months in some locales.
Buildings are buildings, but to build that amount of them, plus several restaurants, a monorail station, a lobby building with waterfalls, two elaborate swimming pools and a wave making system in the lake, a marina... it is much more complex than building a Howard Johnson's...
and getting different approvals can be a lengthy process, but are you then suggesting that they construction is going to sit for 2+ years awating approvals and then be built in a year? No, of course not... A lot of those approvals and plan designs are done long before the first dirt is moved and usuall long before any public announcement is ever made...let alone artwork of the completed attraction created... Before we see anything and any sort of concept art released publicly, working plans etc are already done... Not saying they don't go through rounds of cuts afterwards, but the basics are complete.
they didnt tell the art department to draw something up to release to the public and they will figure it out later...

aladdin2007

Yes. Yes it should. For two years now I’ve been saying the land would have a DVC booth and a duel restroom / QSR serving window building with no indoor seating. And that’s all. Sadly seems I’m right.

which was a big mistake, in my opinion anyway, especially with the hordes of crowds. As it is people are now camping out in the middle of stores sitting in the middle of the floors, on store shelves etc...I couldn't believe how bad it was in the magic kingdom last week. the emporium was gridlock. ok sorry I got off topic.

Missing20K

Buildings are buildings, but to build that amount of them, plus several restaurants, a monorail station, a lobby building with waterfalls, two elaborate swimming pools and a wave making system in the lake, a marina... it is much more complex than building a Howard Johnson's...
and getting different approvals can be a lengthy process, but are you then suggesting that they construction is going to sit for 2+ years awating approvals and then be built in a year? No, of course not... A lot of those approvals and plan designs are done long before the first dirt is moved and usuall long before any public announcement is ever made...let alone artwork of the completed attraction created... Before we see anything and any sort of concept art released publicly, working plans etc are already done... Not saying they don't go through rounds of cuts afterwards, but the basics are complete.
they didnt tell the art department to draw something up to release to the public and they will figure it out later...

Never said it wasn't more elaborate as a resort. I said the buildings are not complicated. There is a reason in that pic the buildings are all being completed at roughly the same time, and it's not because they were difficult to build.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what is happening with the TRON coaster delays, I'm just saying what I've experienced personally designing and construction large scale building projects. That's all. I'm not sure everyone here appreciates the time it really takes to go from the idea, to a design, to construction documents, to actual construction. Just trying to help shed light on the process.

Missing20K

Fair point about the design time. Design for the park as-built began in early 79 and finished roughly in August 1982 (no joke). Design was virtually all in house I belive but construction was sub contracted to just about everyone. The running joke was phase one opened October 1982 but was finished December 1982.

Still a very quick timeline that would just be nearly impossible for any firm to meet based on current design and construction processes. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Did they use multiple outside firms for construction? I mean it seems they would have had to considering the size. My guess is these days one General Contractor is awarded the overall bid, and they subsequently sub-contract out the individual trades. This also adds time to the process. When the GC has to wait on an electrical contractor's worker who was sick or something, it all starts to snowball.

Last edited:

cmb5002

Still a very quick timeline that would just be nearly impossible for any firm to meet based on current design and construction processes. Thanks for the info!

It is a very quick timeline. Something else to consider: Building EPCOT is also the type of work that brings multiple national companies into an area, that have more resources to throw around. Building Tron and other current projects is more of a job for local/regional construction companies. Plus they didn't earn a dime on Epcot til it was open. MK doesn't need Tron to make money.

There's also a tremendous lack of quality construction employees. Frankly the industry is still seeing the fallout from the 2008 crash. Crews I see are a mix of a few grizzled veterans ready to retire and bunch of young guys that don't have a clue. In 2008, all the young guys were laid off and lots of them found other jobs and never came back. They'd be the foremen right now, helping train the new generation, but they just aren't there.

Not to say all of the projects couldn't be done quicker. Quality project/quick project/cheap project - choose 2.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom