News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yes. Yes it should. For two years now I’ve been saying the land would have a DVC booth and a duel restroom / QSR serving window building with no indoor seating. And that’s all. Sadly seems I’m right.
Considering how well the Rookery at Wind Traders has done w/ the "adopt a Banshee", I figured we would see something similar in TSL in terms of a unique item(s). The Toy Story franchise has so many possibilities to create something special.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don’t think you truly appreciate the amount of work that differentiates a schematic design and a full set of construction documents. Schematic design started around the time
Satisfied guests spend more and will even be okay with experiencing fewer atttactions..
Oh I do appreciate it. I won’t apologise for the overly lengthy time this will take. Fiscal spending. And the fact Epcot has the lions share of WDW P&R capex for the next four years. Tron will be purposely spread out.

smile

Look at TSL. That land should have had several highly themed stores with one-of-a-kind elements. Perhaps Ms. Potato Head runs one and a big AA comments on guest purchases - they already know how to build AA Potatoes. Maybe another store allows kids to design their own toy coasters like Andy supposedly did and then buy the kit they made for absurd sums. Something, anything to get people IN the stores and get them to STAY there. Instead, TSL has NO shops (and almost no shade).

like the ideas, but -
good grief... any room for actual rides in there?

get sold on the idea of entire parks composed of themed shops and m&g's on steroids, why don't cha?

celluloid

like the ideas, but -
good grief... any room for actual rides in there?

get sold on the idea of entire parks composed of themed shops and m&g's on steroids, why don't cha?

They could have fit the two over real estate based rides they have there now and those shops. So much grass and no shelter. When the weather comes in, this land's additions have zero to offer.

yensidtlaw1969

Oh I do appreciate it. I won’t apologise for the overly lengthy time this will take. Fiscal spending. And the fact Epcot has the lions share of WDW P&R capex for the next four years. Tron will be purposely spread out.
^^^This . . . TRON absolutely COULD and SHOULD be happening faster. It really doesn't take this long to build a ride like this. They don't go up overnight, but with ground already clearing this thing shouldn't be opening after 2020.

Then, it wouldn't feel like so long if it hadn't already been a year since this was announced . . . isn't that something? It's a poor tactic to announce things so far out, and it's only exacerbated by these self-imposed overlong design and construction practices.

lazyboy97o

^^^This . . . TRON absolutely COULD and SHOULD be happening faster. It really doesn't take this long to build a ride like this. They don't go up overnight, but with ground already clearing this thing shouldn't be opening after 2020.

Then, it wouldn't feel like so long if it hadn't already been a year since this was announced . . . isn't that something? It's a poor tactic to announce things so far out, and it's only exacerbated by these self-imposed overlong design and construction practices.
Ground is being cleared because that is a relatively simply task that can be done with minimal information before design work is anywhere near complete.

Missing20K

I'm unsure as to the exact timeline of the design process here, but just quick back of the envelope math based on personal experience with projects over 100,000 sf. Granted, none were of a themed entertainment variety, but one is an under construction NCAA Division 1 Arena and another is a Power Co-Generation Plant. This project is acres big, so it's not exactly apples to apples.

site/civil design = approx. 3-4 months.
schematic design = approx. 2-4 months
design development = approx. 2-4 months
construction documents = 9-12 months
construction = 18-24 months

3 or 4 years seems relatively appropriate. That's not to say WDW couldn't throw more resources at it to speed the process up, but if they do use third party architecture and construction firms, it's not as easy as telling the firm, "we need this done faster", after contracts have been awarded. Firms can't just scale up at the whims of a client.

If WDW wanted it faster, they could have done it. Just not after the fact.

Skibum1970

Ground is being cleared because that is a relatively simply task that can be done with minimal information before design work is anywhere near complete.

Dumb question alert. What kind of design work would be needed if it is a clone of the one in China? Are you talking the engineering stuff that deals with soil and building footers or something different? Not being snarky but just wondering.

Missing20K

Dumb question alert. What kind of design work would be needed if it is a clone of the one in China? Are you talking the engineering stuff that deals with soil and building footers or something different? Not being snarky but just wondering.

Even if a "clone" there is still a ton of design work, particularly in construction documents, that would need to be done to have it built in WDW. They wouldn't be able to take all the drawings and engineering and just submit them for permit. Besides the metric to imperial conversions, there would be an enormous amount of work regarding accessibility, wind loads, seismic activity, FL sinkholes, and so on and so on.

Sorry didn't mean to answer for him. Just saw the post and thought I'd contribute what I know.

smile

They could have fit the two over real estate based rides they have there now and those shops. So much grass and no shelter. When the weather comes in, this land's additions have zero to offer.

considering that rather lame off-the-shelf tsl rides from elsewhere could have easily sufficed, i can't bemoan a lack of shops in this instance

Skibum1970

Even if a "clone" there is still a ton of design work, particularly in construction documents, that would need to be done to have it built in WDW. They wouldn't be able to take all the drawings and engineering and just submit them for permit. Besides the metric to imperial conversions, there would be an enormous amount of work regarding accessibility, wind loads, seismic activity, FL sinkholes, and so on and so on.

Sorry didn't mean to answer for him. Just saw the post and thought I'd contribute what I know.

Nope, this is great information. I always just scratch my head why a park like Kings Island can build a new coaster in roughly ten months but the same ride takes so much longer in WDW. However, I'm not privy to all the background work that KI has already done before they start construction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom