Trip Report Readers Chick Chat and Guy Gabbing Thread!

Tuvalu

Looks messy but delicious!
It was!!
Very jealous, I have got to get to one of these Buc-ees!!
I told Em we are going to the one closest to home (about 40 minutes away) next week. (She was a little peeved that I went to Buc-ees without her.) I didn’t want to waste precious trip time yesterday by browsing. Lots of stuff to peruse!!

Think Cracker Barrel….on steroids! 🤣

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Took a picture of a palm tree for a friend.
Star Wars Love GIF

Zipadeelady

This is not a report, just some small Disney details of my most recent Orlando experience.

Joe and I flew down to Orlando on Nov 11th. We were very nervous for our Trip down.

Meet Ray, one of the many feral cats around my house ( I live in the country in the the woods). He is the white and black one sharing the bed made for one but three have managed to squeeze in. His momma is the tiger in the same bed. Ray and his sisters were from a litter that was born after we moved in. Ray and his sister, Phoebe in the house by herself, are the only two kittens we were unable to rehome. Ray was always sick and used to being handled from taking him to the shelter and vet appointments trying to get him better. At one point we thought he would lose his vision hence the name Ray Charles. Phoebe wasn't the smartest kitten which is why she is named after Phoebe Buffay. Anyway I digress. Ray has managed to always sneak into the house and C has fallen in love with him.

porch.jpg

Even though she is allergic to cats she really wanted to have him with her in Florida. So after yet another vet appointment Ray was taking a trip to Florida with us.

carrier.jpg

As we expected, or I should say hoped he was a good cat. Even with a 2 hour delay. He slept through most of the flight.

Walking a feral cat on a leash in Florida after his first trip on a plane :hilarious:

walk.jpg

We settled Ray in, ordered pizza and caught up with C.

Don't go to the Disney outlet. It's not worth it. That's all I have to say about that.

On Sunday after Ray has had plenty of time to learn the layout of the apartment we head to Disney Springs in the early evening to go to Salt and Straw which has become somewhat of a tradition while we are in the area.

ice.jpg

Joe always gets the nastiest sounding ice cream. Last month when he went to visit C with his mom he got something with crickets in it. This time it was a coffee based ice cream with anise :depressed:. C went with pineapple and coconut. I surprised myself and went with the oddest one, the seasonal caramelized turkey and cranberry sauce. Now to defend myself it was turkey bacon, still weird but not as horrible as it sounds. It's turkey so maybe @Tuvalu would like it.

Only tree picture I took.

tree.jpg

We hoped in the car and drove to our dining reservation at Toledo at Coronado Resort.

Love the wall of lanterns, reminds me of Kidani Village.

light.jpg

While waiting for our table we went to Dahlia Lounge where Joe got the Manhattan and said it was one of the best ones he's had.

man.jpg

C got the Sangria. Said it was good/OK

sangri.jpg

Me? I went to the restroom. It was beautiful! :hilarious:

room.jpg

Look! There are even paper towels with the resort printed on them!!!

bath.jpg

Toledo review next.

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

After returning from the restroom we went out onto the balcony for the view of Hollywood Studios.

view.jpg

I thought you could see Epcots fireworks from here but we were still eating at 9:00 and having a good time and didn't go back to Dahlia's to try and watch them.

For appetizer we go the Pan con Tomate. I read a review that said it was flavorless and the bread was too charred. We tried it anyway and we all liked it.

tomato.jpg

C got the Brick Oven Cauliflower (she's a vegetarian) and boy was it charred. She said it was good except for the extremely charred parts

cali.jpg

I got the Filet of Beef with olive oil potato puree and forest mushrooms. The filet was very tender but kind of tasteless, the potato puree was delicious, the forest mushrooms were tough. It also came with Date jam and Sherry vinaigrette. I'm confused, I tasted it, it was sweet like desert and not bad. I dipped a piece of beef in it. No no no no. Not good.

filet.jpg

Joe got the Marinated Hanger Steak. He loved it. If we weren't in a nice restaurant he may have licked the plate.

hanger.jpg

C was still hungry after her cauliflower so she ordered a desert. Chocolate Avocado Mousse. Are you seeing all that Mousse? It did come with a tiny scoop of Strawberry Basil Sorbet. I want my 10.00 back.

mouse.jpg

It may sound like a bad experience but I'm glad we tried it. We did like quite a bit about our experience but I don't think we'll be back. The atmosphere is nice but it was very loud.

C sent me a picture last night and it looks like Ray has settled in.

lap.jpg

Animal disclaimer.... After spending all Spring and Summer taking cats to the vet and shelter to get them fixed and medication we are now down to 6 feral cats. Five of them were very feral when we moved in and had many litters that we were able to find homes for or didn't make it. Phoebe is the only one left that has known people since being born. I wish I could find her a home although Joe would be sad since she is Joe's favorite. They are fed regularly and have many cat houses within the woods to stay warm in the winter.

Last edited:

Songbird76

It was a really whirlwind trip. It went by SO fast!! But I had SO much fun and it was so great to see my friends since it's been a few years.

A little background, there was this Harry Potter fan forum and there were some threads like this one where it had nothing to do with the books or movies, and was just general chat. Some people took advantage and posted some personal information that wasn't allowed, and they shut those threads down. So someone got the mods to create another forum where we could continue talking about our lives and getting to know one another. This was YEARS ago. It had to be more than 16 years ago, because I didn't have kids yet. One of the people on the forum was my friend who was trying to get published. There was a core group of us who got pretty close and we were all beta readers for her, giving her feedback on her books. We didn't understand why she wasn't getting an agent because her books were so good. I am still hoping that at some point my favorite book of hers will get published, and I hope they publish the original because she changed it to make it more marketable and I didn't like it as much. But anyway, we've been reading her books for over a decade and finally she got an agent and this is her first book that's going to be published and we are all SUPER excited for her, so we all wanted to be there for the launch. Unfortunately only 3 of us made it, but at least SOME of us were there.

The book is a murder suspense set in the Dublin Drag scene and all the drama that comes with families and with drag queens, etc. The launch party had drag queens and a drag king and the venue was a little speakeasy near Temple Bar, up three flights of really steep stairs.

Ok, so I left early Friday morning, and hadn't slept since Thursday morning because I had to work Thursday night and then go straight to the airport to be there in time for check in and to get through security, since that's been an issue here since flights opened back up after the last wave of the pandemic. It's only an hour and a half flight, and Dublin is an hour behind us, so I got there around 8:00 am, and had plenty of time to explore. The others weren't getting there until at least the afternoon. So after a shower and a nap, I went shopping because I needed to get some nylons and a hair clip to wear to the launch.

I didn't really know where anything was, and I have NO sense of direction (it took me 45 minutes to find my hotel from the bus stop which is supposed to be a 7 minute walk), so I didn't want to be out alone in a big city after dark, not knowing where I was going. I made sure I was back at the hotel before it got dark, and I just ate in the bar at the hotel.
I had Eggplant Milanese. I had no idea what it would be, and when I asked the server, she said "It's vegan". Well.....that's descriptive. :rolleyes: But it was delicious and I was STARVING.WhatsApp Image 2022-11-11 at 6.00.10 PM.jpeg

Then just because I love sweetcorn and rarely get it, I ordered a side of it.
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-11 at 7.13.49 PM.jpeg

And then I ordered dessert. It was like...Italian lemon parfait with raspberry sorbet?

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-11 at 7.55.34 PM.jpeg

I was still working on food when Cath showed up with her husband and some friends. She had to go out to organize something with the drag queens, and the boys left to go out drinking, and I stayed to wait for Jane, who was sharing a room with me.

The next morning, Cath had stuff to do for the launch and Amanda was helping her, so Jane and I set out to find the Chester Beatty museum. I had looked at a map to find things within walking distance of our hotel, and found this museum just a few minutes away, and they had some really cool exhibits. They had just gotten an exhibit of fragments of Biblical Papyrus, and they also had an exhibit about ancient book binding, which my daughter was jealous I would get to see. So we took lots of pictures and I brought back some books.

313933074_576698614218588_7544821878469825055_n.jpg315424014_3343440242607107_2671235932340337601_n.jpg315516945_1510451109418379_3706098130616868685_n.jpg315503061_1178498679750724_8118730290737247483_n.jpg

Jane and I are both huge book nerds, so this was the perfect museum for us. We loved it!!! And it's right behind Dublin Castle, so we took some pictures there. The selfies are all Jane's because I am HOPELESS with selfies.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-14 at 8.25.06 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-14 at 8.25.08 AM (1).jpeg

Songbird76

We were now in desperate need of food, so we went in search of a restaurant. Jane found a street with Google that was nearby and had a whole bunch of restaurants. We both love Indian food and she never gets to eat it because her husband can't have most of it because of medical issues, and her daughter seems to get sick to her stomach. So it was a good time to indulge!!

I'm curious....how many of you know what Poppadoms are?
315526739_3349461581940524_1469372235121741525_n.jpg

I've never heard of them, but Jane and our server were both shocked when I asked what they were. Apparently they are standard at any restaurant in India and any Indian restaurant in the UK/Ireland. I've been to a few Indian restaurants in the US and here and have never seen them.

I don't think I took a picture of the Chicken Pakora....it was ok, we should have skipped it in favor of our mains, which were so much better.

My butter Chicken, Janes Chicken Korma, Jane's Peshwari Naan, and my Garlic Naan. Everything was AMAZING.
315975219_661202498926860_1207480429481968816_n.jpg315521835_1181354296067295_6348325512411488362_n.jpg315500819_1175597770028324_8209521847664810733_n.jpg315527841_714957990054998_6395979389574235643_n.jpg

Songbird76

We went back to the hotel to get ready for the launch. I needed to shower, dry, and curl my hair and do makeup which I never do. I even got fake eyelashes to see if they would look ok or absolutely ridiculous.
So that's Amanda and Cath in the back and Jane holding the book and I'm next to her.
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-13 at 3.15.50 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-13 at 3.16.31 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-13 at 3.15.10 PM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-13 at 3.15.49 PM (5).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-13 at 3.15.51 PM (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-11-13 at 3.14.55 PM (1).jpeg
In the picture with the drag family, left is Victoria Secret, in the middle is Pixie Woo, who was filling in for Mizza (who pulled a hamstring and couldn't walk up the 3 flights of stairs and had to pull out) and the King on the right is Phil T Gorgeous.

They were all so sweet!! I talked to Victoria about my brother's Drag Queen Bingo he does to raise money for Wyoming AIDS patients, and I talked to both Victoria and Pixie about being involved in Angel Action after Matthew Shephard's murder. (Cath had told Victoria about it, and she came up and started a converstation with me about it.) And I talked to Phil for quite a while about everything and anything. They didn't perform. We only had 2 hours, so it was just mingling, taking pictures, and a couple of speeches and then we were shoved out the door. But it was so much fun and so great to see my friends.

After the event, we went back to the hotel and hung out at the bar, and did a toast, etc.

On the right is her agent, and next to him are some of her husband's childhood friends, and then Cath and then the lady on the left is a neighbor and librarian and her daughter is the one holding the champagne bottle.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-13 at 3.14.54 PM.jpeg

Zipadeelady

So I have a serious Bob question and the News and Rumors thread is a hot mess.

Everyone hates Bob C. He has only been in his position for 2 years, can the crap show that we call Disney World (which I still love) be his fault? I mean all the horrible choices that have been made lately weren't those already in the making with Bob I?

Now don't freak out, I'm a bit ignorant with the politics and corporate ladder at Disney (I believe there is a guy named Josh that might be mistaken for Satan). I just get all my information about what I need to do when visiting the parks from the Trip Report Forum.

FutureCEO

So I have a serious Bob question and the News and Rumors thread is a hot mess.

Everyone hates Bob C. He has only been in his position for 2 years, can the crap show that we call Disney World (which I still love) be his fault? I mean all the horrible choices that have been made lately weren't those already in the making with Bob I?

Now don't freak out, I'm a bit ignorant with the politics and corporate ladder at Disney (I believe there is a guy named Josh that might be mistaken for Satan). I just get all my information about what I need to do when visiting the parks from the Trip Report Forum.

Yes and no. For the most part big businesses can't do anything major in a less than two year time span. Look at Tron - ride was announced in 2017 and yet here we are in 2023 soon and it's still not open. I'm no IT person but I assume Genie Plus needs a lot of codes and that has to take a couple years to do and test out.

So the odds of Chapek being the fault for everything or even half the things done is very slim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom