Trespassing third parties

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I just wonder why they were allowed to operate for so long. I don’t think they should be allowed to operate. I understand Disney can make this decision without warning and for whatever reason. Why now though?
I have just heard back from the second person I reached out to regarding this. The first is high up in WDW security. The second is a captain at Orange County SO who is a shift commander for the detail at WDW. They both told me the same story and it had nothing to do with abuse of DAS. I can't go into great detail but there is a threatened law suit that has caused the change.

Smiley/OCD

We don’t actually have that many facts.

Fact - Disney allowed these guides to work for 10+ years.

Fact - it’s technically against the written rules.

Fact - disney has the right to trespass them for violating the rules.

Anything else?
Fact: It’s Disney’s property…they have the right to say yes or no or change the rules or policies ANY time they want whether you agree with or not.
Fact; if you have a problem with it or find it morally reprehensible, see the first fact…

lewisc

Fact: It’s Disney’s property…they have the right to say yes or no or change the rules or policies ANY time they want whether you agree with or not.
Fact; if you have a problem with it or find it morally reprehensible, see the first fact…
Fact Everyone basically agrees with that.

Some posters are curious for the apparent change in Disney policy.

A Disney spokesperson implied DAS abuse. A poster did some research and a said threatened law suit was the reason. That would explain the quick, no nonsense actions

lewisc

I have just heard back from the second person I reached out to regarding this. The first is high up in WDW security. The second is a captain at Orange County SO who is a shift commander for the detail at WDW. They both told me the same story and it had nothing to do with abuse of DAS. I can't go into great detail but there is a threatened law suit that has caused the change.

What lawsuit?
See above

lewisc

Max you can add is 5 so even if every party has that which they dont its 10k guests in lines but split the difference of 4 total 7k roughly. Thats 12% of guests max. So something still doesnt add up
I'm not going to read every post....Some of the numbers are for CA (law suite)and some of the numbers come from Len people counting guests use of ll and guesstimating what % are DAS I think some WDW are from law suite.

We don't have any current, official numbers
We have no idea how many DAS users lie and how many embolish their condition to get DAS. We also don't know how many guests are eligible for DAS but don't apply.

We haven't the slightest idea how many private guides utilize DAS. We don’t know how many private guides get assistance such as recovery passes, when not justified, from "friendly" CMs.

CAV

It is also true that you don't know if the person in charge knew it was going on, and allowed it until someone changed their mind. I have stated several times that Disney absolutely has the right to change their policies. I just don't buy the whole they didn't know what was going on. Either way they handled it badly.
So, how should they have handled it?

CAV

Uber and Lyft also take money away from a Disney service (Minnie Van) and from an approved Disney service (Mears).

If permission is the key, only Mears and Minnie Vans have permission.
For those talking about Uber/Lyft. These are covered under Florida law as TNCs (Transportation Network Companies -FS 627.748).

Only airports and seaports can charge "reasonable pickup fees" that are consistent with what they charge taxis.

Local governments, including county, municipality, special district, airport authority, port authority, or other local governmental entity or subdivision, can not charge fees, taxes, or other requirements to operate in their area. Reedy Creek falls under this provision.

This is why they can operate on WDW property.

TrainsOfDisney

For those talking about Uber/Lyft. These are covered under Florida law as TNCs (Transportation Network Companies -FS 627.748).

Only airports and seaports can charge "reasonable pickup fees" that are consistent with what they charge taxis.

Local governments, including county, municipality, special district, airport authority, port authority, or other local governmental entity or subdivision, can not charge fees, taxes, or other requirements to operate in their area. Reedy Creek falls under this provision.

why do I only see Mears taxis available for pickup then?

EeyoreFan#24

I think there’s a distinction there. The law may say they can drive all around RCID (public) property, but WDW property is private property. They may have a legal ability to be there up until they cross the entry gate/property line. Then it’s up to Disney. It may make a difference between the public garages and the Disney bus loops. However, Disney has chosen to work with them so they are allowed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom