Trespassing third parties

lazyboy97o

To build on that, they also have the ability to do it on their timeline. I doubt they have the capacity to tackle every revenue draining or competing business before lunch and then set up their own stuff after lunch and be done.

It’s very possible(no evidence though) they are dealing with the tour guide thing now and just working with Uber/lift and other industries until their business plan targets it in a year or two. Or they could be very happy not being in that business at all.

My point is there seems to be a concept of “all or nothing” in some discussions but it’s rarely that simple.
In the case of Uber and Lyft, they were specifically cited as part of the decision to end Magical Express. Disney has set up areas for people to utilize these services.

There was a period where Uber was very much into operating without permission. Founder Travis Kalanick was very into chaos and “move fast and break things”. Mr. Kalanick is also no longer with Uber very much because of his disregard for good business practices.

lewisc

Because they too get in the way. Have you seen the gas station next to the Boardwalk? They take literally every possible legal space and illegal space in the lot just to be close to the parks during closing hours and there are signs up trying to stop it too. Have you ever heard the saying, “A few bad apples…..”?
A few COSTCO had to ban instacart drivers from parking while waiting for orders to accept. Too many parking spots were being occupied by instacart drivers who wanted to be on propery waiting to accept orders

Uber and Lyft also take money away from a Disney service (Minnie Van) and from an approved Disney service (Mears).

If permission is the key, only Mears and Minnie Vans have permission.
We have no idea if permission was needed or was granted. Signage and designed pick up areas suggest any necessary permission was granted.
I have just heard back from the second person I reached out to regarding this. The first is high up in WDW security. The second is a captain at Orange County SO who is a shift commander for the detail at WDW. They both told me the same story and it had nothing to do with abuse of DAS. I can't go into great detail but there is a threatened law suit that has caused the change.
Makes more sense then some of the speculation in this thread.

EeyoreFan#24

In the case of Uber and Lyft, they were specifically cited as part of the decision to end Magical Express. Disney has set up areas for people to utilize these services.

There was a period where Uber was very much into operating without permission. Founder Travis Kalanick was very into chaos and “move fast and break things”. Mr. Kalanick is also no longer with Uber very much because of his disregard for good business practices.

Good point. I kinda forgot about the Uber start shenanigans. It was probably at least a couple times a month I’d see an article about a spat with an airport authority or city board or cab company or something.

lewisc

If they get sued, Disney would much rather be a codefendant with Uber or Lyft than with Joe Schmo's VIP Tours.
Joe Schmo tours might not be properly insured.

The, probably few, VIP guides with enough well paying guests might be able to get appropriate insurance. Disney could train and permit a small number of tour groups. Obviously Disney would be compensated

LittleBuford

The Lyft logo appears on WDW’s rideshare signage; they are in official partnership with Disney, as already signalled by the Minnie Van service.

Uber also has permission to operate on property, as we know from the fact that they are, well, operating on property. I’m not even sure what’s under debate here.

Chip Chipperson

Uber and Lyft also take money away from a Disney service (Minnie Van) and from an approved Disney service (Mears).

If permission is the key, only Mears and Minnie Vans have permission.
Incorrect again. Disney allows Uber and Lyft drivers. They even partner with Lyft to use their app for Minnie Van's. The difference between Uber/Lyft and Minnie Vans is that Minnie Van's have access to areas that the rideshare drivers don't. Even Mears doesn't have access to the same areas as Minnie Vans. Disney has dedicated parking areas for Uber and Lyft. Next time you leave one of the parks, take a look around and you'll see signs directing guests to the rideshare pickup area, which is separate from the Minnie Van pickup area.

Chip Chipperson

Oh, so the people who put up signs know more than the people who invite tour guides to vip parties?
You have to be intentionally saying these absurd things at this point. The person installing the signs has no say in what signs are installed or where they are installed. They do what they're told by their bosses, who were told by  their boss - aka, the person in charge of WDW.

Lilofan

What’s absurd?

Uber drivers are operating a commercial business on Disney property.

It’s fine if Disney wants to allow them and not tour guides, that’s their choice. I’m just pointing it out.
It all ends up in the same place , bringing business & feeding the Mouse and its operations.

Chip Chipperson

What’s absurd?

Uber drivers are operating a commercial business on Disney property.

It’s fine if Disney wants to allow them and not tour guides, that’s their choice. I’m just pointing it out.
What's absurd is that you have been told multiple times that Disney allows rideshares and has set up specific parking areas for them to pick up passengers that the theme parks. Some resorts even have specific parking spots marked for them to wait for passengers. They also cited rideshres as a reason for ending the Magical Express service, yet despite the signs all over property and a specific statement issued by Disney, you claim to have never seen anything in writing saying that they're allowed.

Smiley/OCD

Listen Disney can easily enforce the need for DAS by implementing stricter policies. I would fully embrace that but then you will get everyone saying how dare Disney do such a thing. Here is my take. If you have a need/disability disclose it. When i do my video interview and even before in city hall. I simply tell them what my condition is. I truly dont care about privacy etc and any “laws” as to why they cant ask. So im fully transparent to my needs and concerns.
THIS!!! I have MS, not afraid to talk about it and refuse to hide behind those laws banning Disney (or any other company) from asking. I own my own ECV, use the DAS and NOW anyone who meets me knows and can see why I need it. IMHO, the people who say “how dare I be asked” about their disability are the ones exasperating the problem. Just be transparent…

ETA: I’ve SEEN abuses of the DAS policy in the parks with my own 2 eyes and YES, it does go on…I’m a firm believer in karma and we will ALL have to answer for our actions…

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

What's absurd is that you have been told multiple times that Disney allows rideshares and has set up specific parking areas for them to pick up passengers that the theme parks. Some resorts even have specific parking spots marked for them to wait for passengers. They also cited rideshres as a reason for ending the Magical Express service, yet despite the signs all over property and a specific statement issued by Disney, you claim to have never seen anything in writing saying that they're allowed.
The rules say the following is prohibited -
  • The sale of goods or services, or the display of goods or services, unless prior written approval has been obtained.
Does Uber / Uber drivers have prior written approval? Maybe the company does! Definitely could be. I don’t know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom