Trespassing third parties

Tha Realest

This is not the first crackdown. Jim Hill got the boot for giving tours at Disneyland back in 2005.

Disney allows all sorts of businesses on their property. They’re all authorized beforehand. If I ask you if I can take your car for the day I’m borrowing it, if I don’t ask you then I’ve stolen it.
Jim Hill was abusing DAS (or the 2005 equivalent) to skip lines?

Drdcm

I’m not sure how a private walking tour he gave has anything to do with line skipping options, VIP tours (which skip lines) or DAS abuse.
I think it was just provided as an example of Disney cracking down on unauthorized tours in the past. Jim is a pretty well known example.

Tha Realest

I think it was just provided as an example of Disney cracking down on unauthorized tours in the past. Jim is a pretty well known example.
Again, the context of this entire discussion has been about DAS abuse, and the two aspects I mentioned were line skipping options.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m not sure how a private walking tour he gave has anything to do with line skipping options, VIP tours (which skip lines) or DAS abuse.
IIRC at the time... it was getting to be a bit of a distraction and a bit of a show. So it was causing guest confusion.

TrainsOfDisney

That’s not what these guides have been doing, in general they are travel planners that help their clients make reservations.

Apparently some guides were abusing DAS but what that exactly means is unclear and probably varied a bit.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
2. There is nothing in this story that leads me to assume that Disney knew about specific people/companies and let it slide for years. You are assuming something that isn't supported by evidence. It's possible that they didn't know about these specific companies or knew the business names but not the names of the tour guides themselves.
Ramon was a Guest services plaid for almost 10 years before he started his company. He and his husband are quite well known to Disney. He did VIP tours among other things when he was a CM. His husband was a CM up until the Covid shutdown. Disney would frequently allow Ramon and his associates into guest rooms prior to their arrival so he could decorate, do a theme, or leave gifts.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Companies with brand recognition like Disney like to control the touch points they have with their guests. It’s a part of the experience.

Ceding a part of that experience to someone who more than likely does not have the experience or qualifications to represent the brand - why would Disney do that.

I have this vision of one of the tour guides in their mid-twenties telling the small group they are accompanying as the pass Cinderella’s castle “Yep. Right under the castle is Walt’s frozen head. It’s the room on the right when you enter the utilidor.”

lewisc

I have this vision of one of the tour guides in their mid-twenties telling the small group they are accompanying as the pass Cinderella’s castle “Yep. Right under the castle is Walt’s frozen head. It’s the room on the right when you enter the utilidor.
That information was never made public. Disclosure of that info is a big NO NO.

Posters assume the only, or at least the major .reason for Disney's action is DAS abuse. I don’t think the issues are limited to that one issue

Chip Chipperson

Ramon was a Guest services plaid for almost 10 years before he started his company. He and his husband are quite well known to Disney. He did VIP tours among other things when he was a CM. His husband was a CM up until the Covid shutdown. Disney would frequently allow Ramon and his associates into guest rooms prior to their arrival so he could decorate, do a theme, or leave gifts.
So if he was a former CM, might that not be a reason why other CM's didn't rat him out to people higher up the food chain who would be able to make the decision to issue the ban? Also, having been a CM means that he should have been aware that he was breaking the rules with his business from the start. Just because he had enough CM's look the other way doesn't mean that management was cool with it. It's no different than Adam the Woo being banned for accessing backstage areas. He obviously had a CM help him get to the off-limits space but that doesn't equal "Disney allowing it." They were justified in banning him at that time and are justified in this case, too.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
That information was never made public. Disclosure of that info is a big NO NO.

Posters assume the only, or at least the major .reason for Disney's action is DAS abuse. I don’t think the issues are limited to that one issue

Everybody just likes to argue, lol. DAS is an easy argument starter. Like bringing up strollers or expressing your love for flour tortillas over corn.

DisneyHead123

Ah yes, I don’t have that view. Disney CAN ban them, just like they could ban Uber drivers and how they did ban multiple scooter rental companies.

My argument is more like… should they ban them, and should they have banned them in the way they did, having them trespassed at the gate.
I think that’s fair, so long as you acknowledge that Disney is within it’s legal rights in banning them.

On the question of should they have banned them, I’d need more information. I can totally understand how someone could innocently think that starting a Disney tour company was fine. There are people who sell nanny services in the parks, personal shopping services for resort guests, people who do in-room parties, and so on. If it was completely an enthusiastic mistake on the part of people who are actually Disney’s biggest fans, and they were treated like criminals and banned for life without warning? That’s a cold hard side of the Mouse I honestly don’t like seeing at all. Not cool. But it’s also possible that prior warnings were given and ignored, or that the tour guides were engaged in unsavory business practices. Again, I’d have to have more context.

On a somewhat related note, I’m always surprised by the number of Etsy sellers who straight-up sell licensed Disney characters on merchandise, when presumably not all of them paid for licensing rights. I read somewhere that Disney made the decision to build their Fandom by letting enthusiastic sellers do that sort of thing vs coming at hundreds or thousands of sellers with lawyers. Whether or not that’s true I don’t know, but I can see how Super Fans might assume that Disney was making a calculated decision to build good will and let certain things slide.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
So if he was a former CM, might that not be a reason why other CM's didn't rat him out to people higher up the food chain who would be able to make the decision to issue the ban? Also, having been a CM means that he should have been aware that he was breaking the rules with his business from the start. Just because he had enough CM's look the other way doesn't mean that management was cool with it. It's no different than Adam the Woo being banned for accessing backstage areas. He obviously had a CM help him get to the off-limits space but that doesn't equal "Disney allowing it." They were justified in banning him at that time and are justified in this case, too.
He has been doing it since 2010/11. His website is very clear. He was in the parks with guests at least 3 weeks a month. Disney was quite aware of what he did. He got invited to all the resort openings, special media parties for new merch or foods. Disney comped him multiple staycations to learn about new resorts or additions to resorts. He even went on a cruise or 2 on their dime.

lazyboy97o

On the question of should they have banned them, I’d need more information. I can totally understand how someone could innocently think that starting a Disney tour company was fine. There are people who sell nanny services in the parks, personal shopping services for resort guests, people who do in-room parties, and so on. If it was completely an enthusiastic mistake on the part of people who are actually Disney’s biggest fans, and they were treated like criminals and banned for life without warning? That’s a cold hard side of the Mouse I honestly don’t like seeing at all. Not cool. But it’s also possible that prior warnings were given and ignored, or that the tour guides were engaged in unsavory business practices. Again, I’d have to have more context.
If someone just set up a kiosk to sell goods at Disney Springs, would you think it was cold to have them booted? What about someone selling drinks in a park? At what other businesses would it be acceptable for others to just set up their own business?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom