Trespassing third parties

lewisc

That would certainly be the ideal scenario, but realistically there is no way to enforce it. Disney would have to start monitoring who is entering standby queues and that would be a nightmare from a staffing/labor perspective and a lack of space/infrastructure.
What should the DAS guest go while waiting? Disney has eliminated most places to sit, other then restaurant. Shop? While waiting each time for your DAS? Have a cup of coffee, tying up.a table in.a QS restaurant for an hour or more?

Most parks have places where a guest can sit in a comfortable chair and snooze for 10-20 minutes. Places that also have movies featuring annoying puppets, robots resembling presidents of the US and an Angela Lansbury short where the audience is suppose to sing along.

DAS is given to guest who have an issue with queues. It makes some sense prohibiting those guests from waiting on any line more then a few minutes. I don't know if enforcing such a policy would be worth the effort.

Disney needs to attempt to reduce the number of DAS, holders assuming you can identify unworthy guests.

VQ is fair to all guests. DAS holdes can a shorter wait after their group is called but the difference isn't dramatic.

DisneyCane

What should the DAS guest go while waiting? Disney has eliminated most places to sit, other then restaurant. Shop? While waiting each time for your DAS? Have a cup of coffee, tying up.a table in.a QS restaurant for an hour or more?

Most parks have places where a guest can sit in a comfortable chair and snooze for 10-20 minutes. Places that also have movies featuring annoying puppets, robots resembling presidents of the US and an Angela Lansbury short where the audience is suppose to sing along.

DAS is given to guest who have an issue with queues. It makes some sense prohibiting those guests from waiting on any line more then a few minutes. I don't know if enforcing such a policy would be worth the effort.

Disney needs to attempt to reduce the number of DAS, holders assuming you can identify unworthy guests.

VQ is fair to all guests. DAS holdes can a shorter wait after their group is called but the difference isn't dramatic.
For legit DAS use you make a good point. For tour guides using it to give their clients a perk I'm sure they are doing attractions that are scoped out for shorter standby waits.

Fido Chuckwagon

This is a gross exaggeration. There are tons of places to walk around, sit, and even other outdoor things to experience, in every park, while waiting for your queue time to be ready. None of those things require upcharges. I guess my counterpoint to you would be, if the DAS guest truly cannot wait in line, then why would they want to wait in line while waiting for an attraction?

DAS does not require that you be constantly entertained by Disney, nonstop. It requires a reasonable accomodation that you not be required to wait in incredibly long lines. There is so much more to do in every Disney park than just the rides anyway.

phillip9698

There is a difference between making an accommodation so someone doesn’t wait in any particular queue for a long period of time and allowing said person to skip any and all queues at all times guaranteeing they have constant entertainment by attractions.

I don’t know how to say this without sounding heartless but if the person cannot wait any length of time or even exist when outside an attraction then maybe a theme park is not the right place for them.

Purduevian

Ideally, all rides would have a similar VQ system to Dumbo or Jimmy Fallon at USO, however allow multiple rooms with different levels of stimulation. It would put everyone in the same situation whether or not they are able to wait in a traditional line... because there is no traditional line.

I know it isn't practical for a lot of rides (there isn't room), but there are areas for expansion near some of the big hitters (Thunder, Mansion, Pirates, Space, Buzz).

lewisc

DAS guest truly cannot wait in line, then why would they want to wait in line while waiting for an attracti
That was my point. I can't remember seeing a line for Muppets, Hall of Presidents, B&tB sing along etc

Some people don't have an issue with normal lines but can't wait an hour + in the sun for attractions like FoP. I'm not sure any guest should be subjected to long lines with no shade.

VQ has some advantages for all guests

lazyboy97o

That would certainly be the ideal scenario, but realistically there is no way to enforce it. Disney would have to start monitoring who is entering standby queues and that would be a nightmare from a staffing/labor perspective and a lack of space/infrastructure.
They have the infrastructure in place to make it possible. There’s equipment in a lot of the queues to track people. The same way they automatically add a photo to your account they could run checks on if people have a DAS reservation elsewhere. They’re just not going to do something like that because nobody would be willing to lose their job the next day when the news is dominated by the story of the kid with cancer who wasn’t allowed to ride “it’s a small world”.

Yeah, I agree, although if DAS abuse continues to get worse (gets to a level similar to what caused them to have to change the system in the first place a decade ago), then they’re going to have to do something or everyone else’s guest experience will continue to degrade. Whether that something is tappoints at every queue to prevent double-dipping, or stricter requirements a la Universal, I don’t know.
The population of the US is aging and the number of Americans with a disability is expected to continue to increase. Instead of going after accessibility Disney could opt to elevate the experience for all and undertake the hard work of actually building adequate capacity.

Andrew25

They have the infrastructure in place to make it possible. There’s equipment in a lot of the queues to track people. The same way they automatically add a photo to your account they could run checks on if people have a DAS reservation elsewhere. They’re just not going to do something like that because nobody would be willing to lose their job the next day when the news is dominated by the story of the kid with cancer who wasn’t allowed to ride “it’s a small world”.

The population of the US is aging and the number of Americans with a disability is expected to continue to increase. Instead of going after accessibility Disney could opt to elevate the experience for all and undertake the hard work of actually building adequate capacity.

All of Disney's current issues will be fixed with capacity improvements, 100% agree. Part of why Disneyland doesn't suffer the "blowback" of long lines like at WDW is that there's no need to worry about missing out on an attraction or two. At DAK, if you miss out on Flight of Passage because you didn't want to wait 90+ minutes, it feels like you missed out on part of the park experience. At Disneyland, if you miss out on Rise you can just hop on over to the next attraction without worrying about losing value out of your day.

Splash4eva

Im a DAS user and im guilty of definitely going on rides multiple times not that you cant but imo limiting DAS users to 1 ride per day would be fair and not really cause any issues and ruffle feathers and my guess definitely ease some of the pain. Most times i do not have to because i buy Genie as well but on occassion we will

Kamikaze

Im a DAS user and im guilty of definitely going on rides multiple times not that you cant but imo limiting DAS users to 1 ride per day would be fair and not really cause any issues and ruffle feathers and my guess definitely ease some of the pain. Most times i do not have to because i buy Genie as well but on occassion we will
This doesn't fix the problem Disney is trying to address here, though. The person selling their DAS spots could just make it clear they can only go on a ride once a day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Since if you purchase Genie+ it limits you to only a one time ride per attraction per day, that would be a fair compromise. But lots of people would complain of course.

lazyboy97o

Ideally, all rides would have a similar VQ system to Dumbo or Jimmy Fallon at USO, however allow multiple rooms with different levels of stimulation. It would put everyone in the same situation whether or not they are able to wait in a traditional line... because there is no traditional line.

I know it isn't practical for a lot of rides (there isn't room), but there are areas for expansion near some of the big hitters (Thunder, Mansion, Pirates, Space, Buzz).
There is a reason Epic Universe is not going to be a virtual queue park. Virtual queues are actually inefficient and require a lot of excess capacity to properly function. Making virtual queues work would require not only for Disney to continue requiring reservations, they’d also have to significantly limit their availability.

Splash4eva

Since if you purchase Genie+ it limits you to only a one time ride per attraction per day, that would be a fair compromise. But lots of people would complain of course.
Listen as we know people will always complain no matter what and lets face it when you deal with millions of people annually you cant please everyone but to me im sure i am not the only one who at times goes on something more than once and my guess is this the “abusers” of the system may be doing that multiple times either way only allowing DAS to be used once per ride per day has to ease some LL log jams.

Splash4eva

This doesn't fix the problem Disney is trying to address here, though. The person selling their DAS spots could just make it clear they can only go on a ride once a day.
Ive already given my suggestion on how to fix that problem or try and curb it. If you have a DAS user you constantly adds/removes people daily weekly etc. its probably safe to say all those people going are not family/friends. Of course nothing is 100% but when that person is running a company etc. its not rocket science

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It’s not all that fair to a neurodivergent person who is very focused on a single attraction.
As I said - people will complain even though restricting DAS users to one ride per day levels the playing field. There is no one solution that will work.

So then you make a single exception that they can only ride that ride. If other people in their party want to ride something else, they buy Genie+.

lazyboy97o

As I said - people will complain even though restricting DAS users to one ride per day levels the playing field. There is no one solution that will work.

So then you make a single exception that they can only ride that ride. If other people in their party want to ride something else, they buy Genie+.
This is a rather callous position and one of questionable legality since there is not a general one ride per day rule.

Touchdown

This is a rather callous position and one of questionable legality since there is not a general one ride per day rule.
But there is a rule of one LL per day for G+, and they already limit GotG and Tron to once per day with VQ. It’s reasonable because of that.

lazyboy97o

But there is a rule of one LL per day for G+, and they already limit GotG and Tron to once per day with VQ. It’s reasonable because of that.
Those are general rules that apply to all persons. They are not a rule that only applies to those seeking accommodation.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Ok. So you believe that it is a reasonable accommodation that DAS users can ride the same ride multiple times in one day, but people who purchase Genie+ are limited to just one ride per day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom