Trespassing third parties

TrainsOfDisney

But they aren't monetizing their streams in that they don't charge for them. Sure, there are donations, but there is no monetary barrier to viewing their streams.
It’s like travel blogs that put up photos of Disney, and those photos / info lead to ads being clicked and some revenue generated.

But calling it “commercial activity” is technically true, but a stretch.

lewisc

Are you are denying the various counts that Touring Plans has done or claiming they are fabricated? Because there have been numbers posted in this thread by Len about at least one significant MK ride. I tend to trust TP & Len because they've been at this a long time and know what they are doing and talking about when it comes to rides and numbers.
The data doesn’t tell us how many DAS users are playing games. The data doesn't tell us what will happen if the number of DAS guests is reduced. Assume the number is near zero. Would that shorten the standby line? Or Would that just increase the number of paid G+ per hour?

Yep. Data doesn't lie.
No but people misrepresent what the data says. Sometimes lie. Sometimes imply the data says something it doesn't.

The data doesn't tell us how many scammers use DAS. The data doesn't tell us if the impact is on the standby line or the number of paid G+ slots being offered.

lewisc

I'll go with the data that actually says DAS is being abused, vs a user of the system defending it.
Found your original point. THERE IS NO PUBLISHED DATA showing to what extent, if any, DAS is being abused.

Len's observations make no such claims. Posters who imply any such claim are being dishonest.

lazyboy97o

Are you are denying the various counts that Touring Plans has done or claiming they are fabricated? Because there have been numbers posted in this thread by Len about at least one significant MK ride. I tend to trust TP & Len because they've been at this a long time and know what they are doing and talking about when it comes to rides and numbers.
Yep. Data doesn't lie.
You only have half of the data. What is the baseline of visitors with a disability?

The CDC says that 27% of the general population has a disability. The 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design requirements for mobility related accommodations such as parking spaces and hotel rooms tend to fall in the 2% - 3% range. So even if you assumed those with a mobility related disability have no other disabilities, you’re still left with a lot of people who potentially qualify for accommodation. Disney is also known for being accommodating, so they have higher visitation from those needing accommodation. Most people also don’t visit the parks alone. All of this together means a seemingly high percentage of DAS use can represent true usage.

lewisc

I'm not sure why building trademarks are on topic.

Posts by photpass CM confirmed pictures of guests shouldn't show pictures of the theater in the background. The John Wick movies were shot in NYC. The Continental Hotel is a real bldg. Fees were paid to the owners for exterior, and I think interior, shots.

The streaming Continental Hotel series was shot in Europe. The outside of the hotel was changed. They didn't want to pay rights fees.

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure why building trademarks are on topic.

Posts by photpass CM confirmed pictures of guests shouldn't show pictures of the theater in the background. The John Wick movies were shot in NYC. The Continental Hotel is a real bldg. Fees were paid to the owners for exterior, and I think interior, shots.

The streaming Continental Hotel series was shot in Europe. The outside of the hotel was changed. They didn't want to pay rights fees.
Trademarks are things like a logo. They’re a design that represents a brand. Buildings are rarely afforded protection of trademark. Buildings in the US completed after 1990 have copyright protection, but pictorial representation obtained from public space is explicitly excluded in the law.

The Chinese Theater issue just wasn’t true. It was a fan made excuse that got repeated enough. Both buildings predate architectural copyright protection in the US.

People sometimes pay owners for things just to make life easier. Every episode of every version of Law & Order isn’t paying licensing fees for every building in the background of nearly every scene. It’s not a thing.

UK Disney

Does Disney even need to offer DAS? I'm not saying for a second that they shouldn't for those who need it, but beyond ensuring the parks and rides are wheelchair accessible do they legally need to offer the service?

Andrew25

Does Disney even need to offer DAS? I'm not saying for a second that they shouldn't for those who need it, but beyond ensuring the parks and rides are wheelchair accessible do they legally need to offer the service?
It's a bit of a gray area, but legally you are required to reduce any sort of barriers that would prevent someone covered under the ADA, such as wheelchair ramps, hearing impairment devices (or some other form of communication), etc. from being excluded from your business.

They need to offer wheelchair accessible ramps, alternative communication, but everything else is unfortunately questionable.

TrainsOfDisney

There was a period in the waning days of the Sorcerer Mickey Hat where PhotoPass Cast Members were told to not grant requests to change position so as to have the Chinese Theater in the background instead of the Hat.
Oh yes!!! I remember that. That was part of the reason the hat was there to begin with wasn’t it?

But that’s totally different than photographing, streaming etc.

I believe Disney still pays for the rights to the Brown Derby as well.

Isamar

So we are now gonna blame DAS for Disney’s years of neglect and lack of capacity. This is definitely a new line of defense

We can acknowledge that some people abuse the DAS system without blaming the DAS system itself. It’s an important system that addresses the genuine needs of many guests. But any system can be abused and there will always be people out there who will abuse it. It would be impossible for Disney to create a perfect process to screen a guest’s eligibility. Like any benefit, if it’s too difficult to get approved, many applicants who do need it won’t be able to access it. An “easier” screening process will leave openings for a**holes to exploit. Any blame for that exploitation falls on the a**holes, not the DAS system and not the many guests who genuinely need it and use it in good faith.

Splash4eva

We can acknowledge that some people abuse the DAS system without blaming the DAS system itself. It’s an important system that addresses the genuine needs of many guests. But any system can be abused and there will always be people out there who will abuse it. It would be impossible for Disney to create a perfect process to screen a guest’s eligibility. Like any benefit, if it’s too difficult to get approved, many applicants who do need it won’t be able to access it. An “easier” screening process will leave openings for a**holes to exploit. Any blame for that exploitation falls on the a**holes, not the DAS system and not the many guests who genuinely need it and use it in good faith.
Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world and we never will not justifying any of it at all. My guess is theft is rampart as well in world so at what point do we blame that for increased prices? Point is this. I could be wrong but imo DAS is not as bad as people make it out to be.

lazyboy97o

Oh yes!!! I remember that. That was part of the reason the hat was there to begin with wasn’t it?

But that’s totally different than photographing, streaming etc.

I believe Disney still pays for the rights to the Brown Derby as well.
It was not. It was just an excuse made up by fans to justify why the thing stuck around too long. Disney isn’t paying licensing fees for any of the many buildings imitated at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The Brown Derby license is to use the restaurant brand but not the building design.

It would be impossible for Disney to create a perfect process to screen a guest’s eligibility.
No, but Disney could stop actively doing the many things they do to increase crowding and making abuse attractive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom