Transportation nightmare at MK (6/16)

Dasnowz

A resort guest there for dining clearly only gets parking privileges. Pool privileges are only there for resort guests who have a room.

The parking privilege given is for the time you are at that specific resort dining or consuming alcohol not to resort hop or go into the parks.

And yes while there you are considered a guest. Everyone on property who is visiting is. but its a limited time guest as they figure you will eat/drink and leave with all your belongings( car kids trinket key chain) within a reasonable time period not spend several hours there. Then if you want to go into the park you become a guest of the parking lot by ttc.

PhotoDave219

The parking privilege given is for the time you are at that specific resort dining or consuming alcohol not to resort hop or go into the parks.

And yes while there you are considered a guest. Everyone on property who is visiting is. but its a limited time guest as they figure you will eat/drink and leave with all your belongings( car kids trinket key chain) within a reasonable time period not spend several hours there. Then if you want to go into the park you become a guest of the parking lot by ttc.

Again, you're condoning drinking and driving? I'm not going to move my car until I'm completely sober.

Prock3

Ive been a transportation CM at MK and have been involved in what some of us like to call "A Mass Exodus" which is when 60,000 people try to leave the park at the same time, I have a few rings to add.

1. In regards to setting up extended queues for buses, do you have any idea how long it would take to set one up for each and every resort bus? hours, unless you want to use 50 CM's to do it then you could get it done faster. That would also require a ton of stanchions, and need a lot of storage. Queues can be quite difficult to set up and may take a long time unless you've done it dozens of times, just look at the extended queues they use at TTC in the morning, the one for the ferryboat takes nearly an hour for two people to set up.

2. Its borderline chaos after wishes anyway, it may not look like it to guests but trust me it is. Setting up queues just organizes a tiny bit, and with the way MK's bus loop is set up they wouldn't do much good.

3. I've been one of the CP's standing behind the podium saying you have to wait till the next boat, 97% of people are fine with being stopped and will listen, but oh the other 3% are something else. (I got berated once because I stopped the stroller line to let more regular guests on the boat, that was fun.) Ive also been the guy standing with the orange wand, thats even less fun than being behind the podium, when it gets busy guests won't listen, a hundred CMs could be standing there trying to direct guest flow but the overall mentality of guests will be "Im at Disney, Im paying thousands of dollars to be here, I can do whatever I want".

I know some will say well they can just do what they do on new years and the 4th if they need to get people out fast, well they literally start setting up for those holidays days before they actually happen, they schedule triple the CM's they need for crowd control, and open shifts for more if anyone would like to pick them up. Transportation is a well oiled machine when they can plan ahead.

And regarding the resort guest issue, You are a "Resort Guest" the moment you drive on disney property. In order to keep your car at a resort you have to be an "Overnight Resort Guest" of that resort. You can not just park, have a drink then go to the park for 8 hours, that is against policy.

Prock3

Oh and those saying build a parking structure over the bus loop at MK I really hope your joking.

And the only place they really have enough room to build a decent size parking garage would be the spot for the venetian hotel (just north of the TTC south of CR) but the land is too unstable to support a significant amount of weight.

Dasnowz

Again, you're condoning drinking and driving? I'm not going to move my car until I'm completely sober.

No but if you are that drunk then you should not be in a theme park either. You are using getting a drink as an excuse to park wherever you want and go into the park. Anyone can come up with an excuse for anything that they want to justify it to themselves. It does not make it right.

And if having that drink is so important why don't you have a designated driver who can move the car to where it should be while you are in the park?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Ive been a transportation CM at MK and have been involved in

And regarding the resort guest issue, You are a "Resort Guest" the moment you drive on disney property. In order to keep your car at a resort you have to be an "Overnight Resort Guest" of that resort. You can not just park, have a drink then go to the park for 8 hours, that is against policy.
Thanks for your input, but I think you too are overlooking the legal implications of someone that has more than "a drink" at the resort.

You are, like you said, a transportation Cast Member. Not a member of Disney's Legal Team.

Prock3

Thanks for your input, but I think you too are overlooking the legal implications of someone that has more than "a drink" at the resort.

You are, like you said, a transportation Cast Member. Not a member of Disney's Legal Team.
Disney isn't going to let you drink a fifth of jack then climb in your camry and drive away, if they know you're drunk they won't let you drive, they will wait for you to sober up. But they certainly aren't going to let you go to one of the parks while you wait, I'm sure security has a lengthy procedure on it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Disney isn't going to let you drink a fifth of jack then climb in your camry and drive away, if they know you're drunk they aren't going to let you drive, they will wait for you to sober up. But they certainly aren't going to let you go to one of the parks while you wait, I'm sure security has a lengthy procedure on it.
One doesn't have to drink a "fifth" to be legally drunk. One doesn't even have to "act" inebriated to be legally drunk.

Prock3

One doesn't have to drink a "fifth" to be legally drunk. One doesn't even have to "act" inebriated to be legally drunk.
True, but I would assume that disney has no knowledge of you being intoxicated and has no reason to stop you from driving. Disney knows the risks involved, look at Downtown disney, WS, and Jellyrolls, they've got a way to solve it if the issue arises.

PhotoDave219

No but if you are that drunk then you should not be in a theme park either. You are using getting a drink as an excuse to park wherever you want and go into the park. Anyone can come up with an excuse for anything that they want to justify it to themselves. It does not make it right.

And if having that drink is so important why don't you have a designated driver who can move the car to where it should be while you are in the park?

Now youre saying that if you have a drink you shouldnt go into a theme park? Are you unaware that they sell alcohol at three of the four theme parks?

tmstephe

Ive been a transportation CM at MK and have been involved in what some of us like to call "A Mass Exodus" which is when 60,000 people try to leave the park at the same time, I have a few rings to add.

1. In regards to setting up extended queues for buses, do you have any idea how long it would take to set one up for each and every resort bus? hours, unless you want to use 50 CM's to do it then you could get it done faster. That would also require a ton of stanchions, and need a lot of storage. Queues can be quite difficult to set up and may take a long time unless you've done it dozens of times, just look at the extended queues they use at TTC in the morning, the one for the ferryboat takes nearly an hour for two people to set up.

2. Its borderline chaos after wishes anyway, it may not look like it to guests but trust me it is. Setting up queues just organizes a tiny bit, and with the way MK's bus loop is set up they wouldn't do much good.

3. I've been one of the CP's standing behind the podium saying you have to wait till the next boat, 97% of people are fine with being stopped and will listen, but oh the other 3% are something else. (I got berated once because I stopped the stroller line to let more regular guests on the boat, that was fun.) Ive also been the guy standing with the orange wand, thats even less fun than being behind the podium, when it gets busy guests won't listen, a hundred CMs could be standing there trying to direct guest flow but the overall mentality of guests will be "Im at Disney, Im paying thousands of dollars to be here, I can do whatever I want".

I know some will say well they can just do what they do on new years and the 4th if they need to get people out fast, well they literally start setting up for those holidays days before they actually happen, they schedule triple the CM's they need for crowd control, and open shifts for more if anyone would like to pick them up. Transportation is a well oiled machine when they can plan ahead.

Thanks for the great insider clarifications.

Spending money in the resorts counts as being a resort guest. Sorry to burst your bubble there.

And as a perk of an AP, unlimited parking at Resort Hotels. If you have an AP go to Poly, drink, eat , walk around, there is no time limit. PhotoDave is right. I use the Resort monorail to get out of MK quicker sometimes. Is that an Abuse?? Probably in the eyes of Disney.

PhotoDave219

And as a perk of an AP, unlimited parking at Resort Hotels. If you have an AP go to Poly, drink, eat , walk around, there is no time limit. PhotoDave is right. I use the Resort monorail to get out of MK quicker sometimes. Is that an Abuse?? Probably in the eyes of Disney.

People have the misguided thought that somehow I or other people park at the Poly at 8am and spend 15 hours in a theme park. You have to be kidding me. I'm in bed at 8am. It too damn hot to be outside until the sun goes down.

If i would ever enjoy a backscratcher and then head over to MK (thats a big IF) it doesn't happen until at least 6PM or later.

backinaction

Have you ever been turned away or do you have to tell them you have dining ressies?

we just tell them were going to look around and grab something to eat. despite what other people say on the forum, they almost always let us in (unless its a crazy holiday or event and even then they mostly let us in)

TP2000

Sorry, but drinking at the Grand and using Valet to still go to Magic Kingdom is cheating the system.

Not only do I respectfully disagree with you, but I think you've just given a lot of other nice folks a great idea. And if I lived in Orlando, that's probably exactly how I'd visit Magic Kingdom Park: Valet the car at the Grand Floridian, stop in for a cocktail, then board the monorail and zip over to the park for the evening.

Oh, wait.... That's almost EXACTLY what I do when I visit Disneyland! :cool:

I valet park my car at Downtown Disney, stop at Catal or Napa Rose Lounge or Trader Sam's for a cocktail (on festive occasions, you understand) and an appetizer, then stroll the remaining way through Downtown Disney and enter Disneyland or DCA for a few hours. Then reverse my direction, walk out through Downtown Disney or take the monorail from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney, and go to the valet booth to pick up my car and sail away. Instant fun, extra money for Disney, and no parking headaches for me!

I can also think of a few times I've valeted at Grand Californian for dinner at Napa Rose, and included a stop inside one of the theme parks before the meal.

Paying to have your car valet parked at the Grand (or Contemporary or even Poly) and having a drink or meal in the hotel before heading to the park for a few hours with your AP is the Orlando version of that tried and true way many APs visit Disneyland. It can work in Florida too, if Disney World management refuses to offer valet parking for their theme parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom