Transportation nightmare at MK (6/16)

rob0519

This. sorry it's going to off some people who stay at the deluxe resort, but its just too easy to park at one of the deluxe hotels and walk in. the T&T center is usually mobbed at the end of the night (along with the monorails and boats), and not having to deal with that at the end of a long Disney day is a huge help. It's maybe 3/4 of a mile walk to the contemporary and beats waiting in a line for a boat or monorail at the end of the night.

While not on the same level, isn't parking in a resort,(and not having a dinner reservation or paying for valet parking) where you are not staying and therefore not entitled to park in order to " not having to deal with that at the end of a long Disney day" and "beats waiting in a line for a boat or monorail at the end of the night" similar to obtaining a GAC under false pretenses to beat waiting in line for a ride? Both actions are looking to get yourself a favorable advantage. Just asking.

Piebald

The Contemporary parking lot or the Bay Lake Tower parking lot?

I have an AP so i dont do it to bypass paying, and in my defense my girlfriend and i usually get a snack inside before going to the park.

I just park far away or where they tell me to. I don't mind walking.

CDavid

The real problem here was a lack of effective crowd control, which sometimes is about all you can do to manage such a situation. You cannot conjure more buses and available drivers out of thin air. Given several hours notice you could have more ready, but if a problem happens near or at closing time you are pretty much going to make do with what you've got. A few buses can be diverted to the Mk from other destinations, but you cannot just abandon DTD or other park transportation, and in any event diverted buses are going to take time as they'll have to first drop their passengers and then reach the MK.

You do need some redundancy in any transportation system, but that costs $$$ for something you will very rarely need. The real solution, again, is crowd control.

Dasnowz

There were more then 2 cp people out there. That may be who you actually saw. Several watercraft personnel were moved into the area as well. The problem is that people do not listen to the CM. There were several people tried going in through exit gates to the ferries.

There was an incident with guests arguing that they do not have to wait that they have a wheelchair pass (GAC) that makes it so they can go where they want when they want. It was explained to them that the ferry was at capacity and they still argued with the cm. They were demanding to be let on instead of waiting 5 min for the next one.

I am sad to say this but There are people who believe the lines do not apply to them thus causing issues. Several cm were yelled at by guests. Its Florida. It rains. Its not cm fault. This is rainy season. Come prepared. If its raining in the parks mass amounts on people try to leave. wait a bit in the park and avoid the crowd. Only the resort monorail was down. The rest were up and running.

FYI when the monorail goes down it takes some time to come back online. The computers need to be reset and a test run is done to ensure no guests become stuck someplace.

The smaller watercraft vessels cannot run in lightening storms. They are not equipped properly. Guest safety is priority number one. I am sorry your day was ruined by the weather. Its not Disney's fault. There were lightening strikes all over the place. It was insane.

And parking in a resort is cheating the system. You do not have dining reservations there which is the only reason you are supposed to be there unless you are a resort guest. There is no way to justify this. I am sorry. It doesn't matter if you get a snack. this creates a lack of parking for those who need to be there. This is why parking lots are starting to check if you have reservations to eat or are staying there and turning people away. There are times a pass is issued for x amount of time and after that you can and will be ticketed. Parking lots are running at capacity.

PhotoDave219

And parking in a resort is cheating the system. You do not have dining reservations there which is the only reason you are supposed to be there unless you are a resort guest. There is no way to justify this. I am sorry. It doesn't matter if you get a snack. this creates a lack of parking for those who need to be there. This is why parking lots are starting to check if you have reservations to eat or are staying there and turning people away. There are times a pass is issued for x amount of time and after that you can and will be ticketed. Parking lots are running at capacity.

No, we were drinking at GrandFla. We were resort guests. Valet'd mine thanks to the Table in Wonderland.

awilliams4

While not on the same level, isn't parking in a resort,(and not having a dinner reservation or paying for valet parking) where you are not staying and therefore not entitled to park in order to " not having to deal with that at the end of a long Disney day" and "beats waiting in a line for a boat or monorail at the end of the night" similar to obtaining a GAC under false pretenses to beat waiting in line for a ride? Both actions are looking to get yourself a favorable advantage. Just asking.

Definitely.

awilliams4

I have an AP so i dont do it to bypass paying, and in my defense my girlfriend and i usually get a snack inside before going to the park.

I just park far away or where they tell me to. I don't mind walking.

There were fairly recent threads about how they were cracking down on the Contemp/BLT parking.

I own there and was just curious if the crack down was continuing. The thread suggested that the guards were checking dining ressies and IDs to see if people really had them or not.

PhotoDave219

There were fairly recent threads about how they were cracking down on the Contemp/BLT parking.

I own there and was just curious if the crack down was continuing. The thread suggested that the guards were checking dining ressies and IDs to see if people really had them or not.

It varies from Day to Day. Its very frustrating as to the inconsistancies.

Dasnowz

it depends on the guard and what resort capacities are at the time. if they are really full then they are more strict. if its low capacity then they enforce it more.

PeterAlt

Met up with my college friend and her family last night at MK. Massive storm rolled in right after Wishes. Lightning hit the monorail, shutting down both lines. In addition, too stormy for the boat launches, only the ferry was running. I needed to get back to the Grand, the only way to do that was by bus.

I walk toward the bus depot--again, not just rain, but heavy lightning in the area, masses of people fleeing--the only crowd control is two college program kids saying "Ferry to the right, buses to the left." There's no signage on the board for any monorail hotel--when I asked at the window, apparently the three parties behind me all had the same question. The bus depot itself was a mob scene. No CMs that I could see. No switchbacks. No discernable lines. Just a mass of people, pushing and shoving (and parties with ECVs trying to make their way back out like salmon swimming upstream because apparently they went the wrong way to try to get on a bus--again, no crowd control whatsoever). One bus sat at least 5 minutes after being completely filled. In the 15 minutes I stayed there, I didn't see a single monorail resort bus pull up. People were yelling and cursing at the driver to move along and get another bus in there.

I ended up calling a friend who lives behind MK to come give me a ride from the Contemporary. A lot of seasoned guests seemingly had the same idea, because the Contemproary bus lot was jammed, too. Full buses were pulling up and not letting any of the crowd on. Other guests were just grabbing taxis.

Completely unacceptable for any legal "host." Just a complete failure on the part of transportation and customer service management. I will say this. Forget Avatar, forget Cars, the #1 priority needs to be a parking garage within walking distance of MK. Walt's plan of having to be transported to the park may have worked in the 70s, but post-9/11, with modern crowds, it's a stupid anachronism.
Hmmm... After being a big proponent of monorail, after giving this some thought, I agree.

My deal with the monorail - or peoplemover - is that these systems bring distance spaces closer together so that everything is within walking distance (monorails or peoplemovers simply act as a bridge connecting two walking areas into one larger seemless walking area). However, if there's a parking garage, this "bridge" isn't neccessary. It's logical that this bridge should be eliminated within the zone of a given park, which parking should naturally be part of. Now, for getting to park to park, or resort to park, or resort to resort, or resort or park to shopping area, monorails and peoplemovers are still necessary. Or they can do what they did at DLR and build hotels and shopping right at the entrance of the park.

Epicpilot

I think disney really needs to make the walkway between BLT and Contemporary to MK covered, also does anyone think Disney should invest in some Mickeys Magical Crowd Control SWAT team? That should keep everyone under control...

PeterAlt

I think disney really needs to make the walkway between BLT and Contemporary to MK covered, also does anyone think Disney should invest in some Mickeys Magical Crowd Control SWAT team? That should keep everyone under control...
What's BLT? I'm sure you didn't mean Bacon Letus Tomato (on toast with mayo).

Any way, look at USO and how they used elevated moving sidewalks from the parking structures. Smart design.

They can do this for the contemporary to the MK and the EPCOT resorts to DHS, and DAK to AKL.

There is a patented system for a moving sidewalk system that progressively moves faster the longer it runs. This is the perfect innovation for Disney to build and showcase!

Dasnowz

The thing is and most people forget or don't know there is a reason for the ferry/monorail. You are supposed to park at the mk parking and take Disney transport. you are supposed to take this time to leave the real world behind and the magic builds. you get glimpse of the castle and the excitement it building even higher. Then you get off and walk up the hill and the castle view disappears behind the train station. Again anticipation builder. Then you come under the train and the magical view down main street happens. This is Walt's vision. To build parking right there would loose this.the parking closer would create even more headaches. The road structure there cannot handle more traffic. It would be a massive rebuild and design of everything. The problem is capacity is being increased and the base ideas are not being increased to meet capacity. Hopefully the new bus things being implemented will help. Hopefully the new routes watercraft is trying will help. Things are being done/worked on to address the issue. It take time and people need to be patient. Today's I want it immediately society needs to understand this and don't so the issue and complaints arise.

PeterAlt

The thing is and most people forget or don't know there is a reason for the ferry/monorail. You are supposed to park at the mk parking and take Disney transport. you are supposed to take this time to leave the real world behind and the magic builds. you get glimpse of the castle and the excitement it building even higher. Then you get off and walk up the hill and the castle view disappears behind the train station. Again anticipation builder. Then you come under the train and the magical view down main street happens. This is Walt's vision. To build parking right there would loose this.the parking closer would create even more headaches. The road structure there cannot handle more traffic. It would be a massive rebuild and design of everything. The problem is capacity is being increased and the base ideas are not being increased to meet capacity. Hopefully the new bus things being implemented will help. Hopefully the new routes watercraft is trying will help. Things are being done/worked on to address the issue. It take time and people need to be patient. Today's I want it immediately society needs to understand this and don't so the issue and complaints arise.
Good point. What if an elevated moving sidewalk takes you to Main Street?

TP2000

I'm looking at Google Earth and I can't figure out where they could build a 10,000+ space structure for Magic Kingdom nearby. And can they even build a giant 10,000+ space structure on the soils around Seven Seas Lagoon?

The Disneyland parking structure has 10,000 spaces and is 6 floors tall and truly massive. It's serviced by a fleet of 18 trams in a giant transportation plaza, but is also a 10 minute walk from the Disneyland/DCA entrance plaza. Where could you put a similar structure and even more robust transportation system nearby the Magic Kingdom Park area?

That said... It's Central Florida. The weather from May to October is horrible and oppressive and it rains nearly every day, oftentimes violently and for hours at a time. This isn't something Disney can control, and people who willingly visit WDW this time of year should be prepared. On the flip side, it seems Disney could be more honest with folks and make announcements in the park stating the transportation system is operating at a severely reduced capacity due to weather safety issues and it's recommended to remain in the park until the monorails can reopen.

They always want to be so happy-shiny with everything, but at some point you just have to be honest and tell folks "The monorail is closed and it's a mess out front, why don't you stick around for awhile and avoid the headache?"

PeterAlt

I'm looking at Google Earth and I can't figure out where they could build a 10,000+ space structure for Magic Kingdom nearby. And can they even build a giant 10,000+ space structure on the soils around Seven Seas Lagoon?

The Disneyland parking structure has 10,000 spaces and is 6 floors tall and truly massive. It's serviced by a fleet of 18 trams in a giant transportation plaza, but is also a 10 minute walk from the Disneyland/DCA entrance plaza. Where could you put a similar structure and even more robust transportation system nearby the Magic Kingdom Park area?

That said... It's Central Florida. The weather from May to October is horrible and oppressive and it rains nearly every day, oftentimes violently and for hours at a time. This isn't something Disney can control, and people who willingly visit WDW this time of year should be prepared. On the flip side, it seems Disney could be more honest with folks and make announcements in the park stating the transportation system is operating at a severely reduced capacity due to weather safety issues and it's recommended to remain in the park until the monorails can reopen.

They always want to be so happy-shiny with everything, but at some point you just have to be honest and tell folks "The monorail is closed and it's a mess out front, why don't you stick around for awhile and avoid the headache?"
They can build it on top of the current MK bus loop stop.

TP2000

They can build it on top of the current MK bus loop stop.

Of course!

Memo To TDO: Build this Disneyland structure on the MK bus loop loading area. Thanks!
2007_1112_images_04b.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom