Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Stevie Amsterdam

So I’d take a total redesign of the existing park (esp the entrance) instead of SWGE. Make the park a place you actually wanna spend time in. Like Buena Vista Street or the original 20s mainstreet design. I think the park would benefit much more from that than another miniland.

BUT, how is that large lake gonna work with only FEA on the otherside and nothing else around it?
I could see them capitalizing on the Parisian weather and make it an ice rink in winter? 🎵Let it snow, let it snooow☃️

LittleMerman

I don’t feel like this revamp will do much of anything, really. In the end, what’s being added are just a horde of clones of things you can find in their other fully-owned parks, many of which are unspectacular to begin with; without anything new or unique. It’s most unique items in the past have been shuttered (CineMagique) or cloned (Ratatouille). It will be strange seeing a FEA that was never Malestrom before, however. Ultimately, this will erode the unappealing original theming, but not construct a solid new identity for the park. The days of DCA 2.0 are long gone...
It will be appealing to European Disney fans who don't get to go to the other parks regularly if ever at all. Frozen, Star Wars, and Marvel are some Disney's biggest portfolios and will bring a lot of buzz to DLP. They might not be the most exciting additions to us because like you said they're basically clones, but these are brands that will appeal to fans globally. Might not be ideal but 5+ new attractions (I'm including the new Cars attraction) is a significant expansion and a pretty attractive reason to visit the park.

Plus Disney is just as much about atmosphere as it is the actual rides so each mini-land will provide that for the guests - dining, shopping, architecture. The general public won't care that these attractions are clones in the same way the average WDW guest will not care (or even know) that Tron and Ratatouille are clones - I guarantee you they will still be extremely popular.

UNCgolf

Whilst I can’t wait for WDSP to get more much needed physical space (and water), building a clone of a ride that was shoe horned into a now 33 year old ride system is not one of their finer moments.

I'm still baffled by that. FEA is a mediocre (at best) ride clearly handcuffed by having to retrofit an existing ride. It makes absolutely no sense to clone it when they had the freedom to build something without those constraints.

Well, I suppose it makes financial sense, which is why it happened. And that seems to be the driving force behind almost every decision these days.

Last edited:

cjkeating

I'm still baffled by that. FEA is a mediocre (at best) ride clearly handcuffed by having to retrofit an existing ride . It makes absolutely no sense to clone it when you had the freedom to build something without those restraints.

Well, I suppose it makes financial sense, which is why it happened. And that seems to be the driving force behind almost every decision these days.
I don't even see how it makes financial sense... the ride system etc. will have had to be designed from the ground up it's not like they can 'clone' as the blueprints/designs will no longer be applicable to modern design standards. To me it just seems a really lazy attempt and I'm not necessarily blaming DLP as WDI clearly chose this route first for HK and then replicated it at Paris.

I feel like this will be one of the most underwhelming attractions to be duplicated three times in a Disney park?

UNCgolf

I don't even see how it makes financial sense... the ride system etc. will have had to be designed from the ground up it's not like they can 'clone' as the blueprints/designs will no longer be applicable to modern design standards. To me it just seems a really lazy attempt and I'm not necessarily blaming DLP as WDI clearly chose this route first for HK and then replicated it at Paris.

I feel like this will be one of the most underwhelming attractions to be duplicated three times in a Disney park?

They would have had that expense regardless, though. They're still saving money on the attraction itself -- don't have to design sets, AAs, etc.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (WDW, SDL, HKDL, DLR) is the one that's worse.

I think that's arguable. Winnie the Pooh isn't an especially great ride (I'd probably ride it over FEA if forced to choose, but neither are remotely special), but it's also never been anything other than a complimentary attraction. They are cloning FEA as the headliner for a mini-land built around one of their biggest movies. The circumstances are different.

Maybe they'll clone the Little Mermaid ride to a third park and it can throw its hat into the ring.

UNCgolf

Even that sort of stuff get redone with meetings over meaningless differences.

I'm sure it does, but I'm also sure they will spend far less money on it than they would designing a completely new ride from scratch.

Doesn't mean they won't still somehow spend an absurd amount of money overall for a cloned attraction.

J4546

yeah having a clone of 30+ year old rethemed flume ride is kinda odd as a headlining attraction for an all new expansion land. Esp if theres only 1 ride. to me its like if galaxies edge only had smugglers run and no RotR. itd still be a cool land but not really that great.

They should really go big with frozen land if thats there centerpiece land. Although I think Id rather they have BatB land there instead as it takes place in France and they already have one in japan that seems to be a hit. How about BatB land in center and then have both of frozens lands Arendelle and whatever iceberg land is called on opposite sides of big lagoon, so that way when your in one, you can gaze across the lagoon into the other.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seven years from now this will be done and poor EPCOT will still look like a construction site...

Does that make any of it less embarrassing?

I'd be fine if they just teared down the 3D movie theater in Discoveryland and used that space and the former Pizza Planet buffet for Rise of the Resistance and chose some other ride for the Studios.

...as long as it was rethemed with likeable characters...it could work.

Last edited:

cjkeating

The Frozen Coaster is a reskinned Seven Dwarfs Mine Train . . . I don't harbor any special love for the Mine Train, but despite its problems it feels fair to say that's more than just a well themed Barnstormer.
We thought/assumed/hoped it was a Seven Dwarfs Mine Train overlay, the aerial photos of construction show it as roughly a Barnstormer with a show scene between the station/first drop.

yensidtlaw1969

We thought/assumed/hoped it was a Seven Dwarfs Mine Train overlay, the aerial photos of construction show it as roughly a Barnstormer with a show scene between the station/first drop.
Can you link to some pictures? The most recent thing I saw was in December and it was looking eerily like the construction process for Seven Dwarfs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom