Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Moon knight

Some initial plans had a new hotel planned behind the coaster building of Flight Force and next to the land initially supposed to be for SW:GE. I assume that the Star Wars hotel was at least considered for DLP as well and could have fit at that location.

With the plans for SW:GE changed, would you still like to see a new hotel at that location that could fit with of the Studio's themed lands at some point? Maybe some altered Animal Kingdom Lodge style hotel to fit with the potential Lion King mini-land?

I personally would prefer DLP to focus on new attractions first. But I like the idea of having at least the option/land to build a new hotel that could connect to the Studios.
vde_bm10.jpg

This hotel is an old sea serpent, it was to be built in addition to the Marvel Land inspired by New York (planned in 2012/2013), then the hotel would have revived an old EuroDisney idea by imitating an aircraft carrier of the S.H.I.E.L.D visible from the land. They thought, however, that it would be more practical to re-theme New York with a Marvel theme, rather than building a brand new hotel.

It was then presented as an Art Deco hotel to respect the architecture of this district of Val d'Europe, sometimes with Disney classics and sometimes inspired by sci-fi films such as Star Wars or Avatar. I am not sure that this is still on the agenda. The hotel glued to the Disney Village seems more likely given its proximity to both the future Convention Center and the expansion of the Disney Village.

mrflo

The hotel glued to the Disney Village seems more likely given its proximity to both the future Convention Center and the expansion of the Disney Village.
Do we know what theme the hotel between NPBC & DV could be? I hope for a Boardwalk style hotel & area to complement the theme of NPBC and have a transition to DV. Though not sure if this still fits with the more generic look they seem to be going for the DV update & expansion.

Sir_Cliff

Do we know what theme the hotel between NPBC & DV could be? I hope for a Boardwalk style hotel & area to complement the theme of NPBC and have a transition to DV. Though not sure if this still fits with the more generic look they seem to be going for the DV update & expansion.
I'm a little bit nervous to see what they come up with given Disney's recent trend toward generic hotel towers and the design for the new Disney Village. Paris seems less allergic to the idea of theming than Florida, though, so I hold out some hope they would consider how the new hotel would fit alongside the existing lake hotels.

In retrospect, it was somewhat, ahh, gutsy of Disney to go so full-throttle with the Americana when originally designing their Paris resort. I'm not sure Disneyland Paris management in the 2020s would be as keen to add another hotel that continues the American themes of the existing resorts. If they did, however, a revival of the old concept for a New Orleans hotel could be nice as a bridge between France and the US that also allowed for a lively outdoor area along the lake. While there is an obvious IP tie-in, though, I suspect PatF is not big enough in Europe and the general theme not sufficiently zeitgeisty for it to be approved.

Moon knight

I'm a little bit nervous to see what they come up with given Disney's recent trend toward generic hotel towers and the design for the new Disney Village. Paris seems less allergic to the idea of theming than Florida, though, so I hold out some hope they would consider how the new hotel would fit alongside the existing lake hotels.
The context is quite different. Disney has to convince Europeans that their hotels in DLP are distinctly themed with beloved Disney, Marvel or Pixar brands. There's plenty of world-renowned hotels in Paris, not so much in Orlando. They have to differenciate themselves by having some unique hotel concepts (such as The Art of MARVEL).

Disney Village can't copy Disney Springs cuz the neighbouring "Vallée Village" is already the equivalent of the Town Center of DS with its french architecture and overpriced luxury shops. Europeans go to Disney Village to find a "chic Las Vegas" and this is what it will essentially be a chic CITYWALK made by WDI.

Sir_Cliff

The context is quite different. Disney has to convince Europeans that their hotels in DLP are distinctly themed with beloved Disney, Marvel or Pixar brands. There's plenty of world-renowned hotels in Paris, not so much in Orlando. They have to differenciate themselves by having some unique hotel concepts (such as The Art of MARVEL).
I agree that seems to be the mentality at the moment, though I'm not sure I agree that Disney IP is the only way to differentiate their hotels as, ultimately, they are themed resorts and the theming continuing from the parks to the resorts distinguishes the experience from anything you will find in Paris. One point in favour of the overarching Americana theme, for example, is that automatically distinguishes the hotels from anything you'll find nearby.

I can live with their integration of the IPs into the resorts as it has been executed in Paris, which generally seems better than in Orlando. Sadly, though, I suspect a hotel themed around a national park lodge in California as designed by Frank Lloyd Wright wouldn't be approved today even with the integration of Bambi characters in the rooms. The IP would have to be more marketable and it would be the starting point for the experience.

Hopefully, those of us who want to can just keep staying in the hotels built during another era of Disney theming.

Disney Village can't copy Disney Springs cuz the neighbouring "Vallée Village" is already the equivalent of the Town Center of DS with its french architecture and overpriced luxury shops. Europeans go to Disney Village to find a "chic Las Vegas" and this is what it will essentially be a chic CITYWALK made by WDI.
I hope that is the case, but the artwork that has been released just looks like a generic mall to me. Seems like places I have walked through in the US, Australia, Mexico, the UK, Europe, etc. Fingers crossed, though, the execution will be better than the artwork.

Honestly, the original Festival Disney design looks more unique and eye catching. I guess they got rid of it for a reason, though.

Last edited:

Door Coaster

* The 2nd flat ride of the gardens wil be once again unique to Paris, it was initially designed for DCA and it's NOT a carroussel. I'll let Ally keep the exclusivity on this one so I won't spill the beans.

* The speeder-bike coaster would be, as I previously stated, the main E-ticket of this potential new themed area, so it won't be part of Discoveryland apparently. Hopefully they'll end up building a Mandalorian D-ticket ride along with it. Think about Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure ride but with Star Wars theming and some clever tricks to hide the tracks... Imagine yourself going to Star Tours and then disembarking from the Starspeeder in Discoveryland or on another planet, way more alive than the US Galaxy's Edges thanks to the speeder-bikes zooming sounds ! There still a long way to go before any of this is greenlit though...

* The Lion King ride couldn't have fit the Adventureland theme, believe me. Paris version of Adventureland is all about European's curiosity for numerous exotic regions of the world. We thus encounter Pirates, Archeologists, Genies and so on but we shouldn't be discovering that Lions are talking about kingdoms, succession or thrones. The Lion King has set a world for itself, in which not a single human being seems to live. Moreover, the African area of the land isn't big enough for the magnitude of a water based attraction showbuilding. Let Moana and the Jungle Book benefit from those expansion pads !
Ah.

And then you don't bring it up in this post, but Ally has Pandora as a 4th land.

Also, for the second flat: What is "KUKA Arm"?

EDIT: I just realized Star Wars is gonna be a tight squeeze because there's a rumored Villains coaster going near there in 2028.

EDIT 2: Not official, oops.

Last edited:

mrflo

There was a rumour on Themeparx last August where someone claimed that in a webinar a lead Imagineer had mentioned a significant new attraction coming to DLP in 2028. It was later added that this would be a Disney Villain themed rollercoaster in scale and scope of "Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure and build as a mini land near Discoveryland."

Sounds to me like they this is the same coaster but with a changed theme.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

There was a rumour on Themeparx last August where someone claimed that in a webinar a lead Imagineer had mentioned a significant new attraction coming to DLP in 2028. It was later added that this would be a Disney Villain themed rollercoaster in scale and scope of "Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure and build as a mini land near Discoveryland."

Sounds to me like they this is the same coaster but with a changed theme.
Wonder if this will be the attraction we will get in the US with the Villains land now seemingly moving forward at MK.

SplashJacket

I’m actually very intrigued for the next announcement, because, at the moment, everything seems to be all over the place.

I believe, and correct me if I’m wrong, the last announcement at any park was TBA in 2020.

We’re 3-years removed from that, and we’re quickly approaching no active construction projects outside of WDSP, if we ignore TBA, but even that’ll conclude relatively soon.

There’s a lot of dust getting kicked up at the moment, but I’m very intrigued to see how the dust gets settled.

It may just be a product of chaos, but @Magic Feather, who’s been absent and missed these past few months, and @marni1971 haven’t revealed their usual wisdom, granted, Marni said he’s largely been disinterested, but regardless.

I feel like the direction of future expansion is a lot murkier than has been the past decade, partly because there’s seemingly a hundred concepts being floated around.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney Park Fans: Disney announces projects too early such that it seems forever when they're finally done!!!

Also Disney Park Fans: We want insider leaks about projects so that we know about them very, very early!!!

Sir_Cliff

Disney Park Fans: Disney announces projects too early such that it seems forever when they're finally done!!!

Also Disney Park Fans: We want insider leaks about projects so that we know about them very, very early!!!

I think that's a little unfair in this case.

Don't want to speak for them, but I think the poster was just commenting on the fact that we have rumours seeming to multiply by the day about future DLRP projects and a lot of vague rumours floating around about the parks more generally. We've also had previously announced projects being quietly cancelled and no word about what, if anything, will replace them (e.g. WDS second land and the Play! pavilion). In the past, we always had one or two established insiders who could give some sense of the internal thinking, but they have mostly gone quiet. Disney, itself, also seems to have gone quiet, all of which feeds the speculation and rumours.

I don't think anyone is rushing Disney to announce things, just more being curious about what exactly (if anything) is happening with the parks beyond all the stuff that was announced 3+ years ago and is now crawling toward completion.

Last edited:

cjkeating

Part of it is just the vacuum also.

Ok so there is going to be a massive lake. At the far side of the lake will be a ride and a restaurant....

... just begs questions and speculation about the other 75% of the lake's circumference
I don't really get people's obsession with "what's next" can't people just wait for what has already been announced? Everything in the concept art is happening except is now Tangled and whilst not officially announced we are quite confident mini Galaxy's Edge is going to be another IP.

What's happening next? Well based on the past of DLP nothing for a number of years however as we are now in better times probably another expansion around the lake but that likely won't be open until 2030 at the earliest so everyone should just chill. Some of this discussion feels like the never ending rumour mill of what country is going to be added to World Showcase and everyone has been waiting since 1988!

Door Coaster

I’m actually very intrigued for the next announcement, because, at the moment, everything seems to be all over the place.

I believe, and correct me if I’m wrong, the last announcement at any park was TBA in 2020.

We’re 3-years removed from that, and we’re quickly approaching no active construction projects outside of WDSP, if we ignore TBA, but even that’ll conclude relatively soon.

There’s a lot of dust getting kicked up at the moment, but I’m very intrigued to see how the dust gets settled.

It may just be a product of chaos, but @Magic Feather, who’s been absent and missed these past few months, and @marni1971 haven’t revealed their usual wisdom, granted, Marni said he’s largely been disinterested, but regardless.

I feel like the direction of future expansion is a lot murkier than has been the past decade, partly because there’s seemingly a hundred concepts being floated around.
Actually, our last announcements were last September. There was San Fransokyo. The Avengers E. Zooana and Latino-Villains Land were blue sky spitballing at first but slowly but surely they're becoming reality. In fact even at announcement at least the Moana part of Dinoland replacement was very close to greenlight according to our trusted @ToTBellHop.

Sir_Cliff

I don't really get people's obsession with "what's next" can't people just wait for what has already been announced? Everything in the concept art is happening except is now Tangled and whilst not officially announced we are quite confident mini Galaxy's Edge is going to be another IP.
Why are we quite confident that the mini Galaxy's Edge is going to be anything? That's probably the main thing that hasn't been announced about which people on this thread are curious.

The curiosity is particularly fed by the fact it seems very strange the big relaunch of this park is going to involve such a long walk and big build up for... Frozen Ever After. As time is stretching on with no announcement of a second land, let alone construction beginning, the more it seems like the experience is going to be a bit weird with a one-attraction land sitting so far away from everything else at the back of the park.

Parkatm

What's happening next? Well based on the past of DLP nothing for a number of years however as we are now in better times probably another expansion around the lake but that likely won't be open until 2030 at the earliest so everyone should just chill. Some of this discussion feels like the never ending rumour mill of what country is going to be added to World Showcase and everyone has been waiting since 1988!

Well, to be fair, DLP hasn't got a new ride for more than 20 years now. WDC seems finally to get over its trauma in Europe and is now ready to invest. Not very surprised that people are obsessed with "what's next" in that situation.

As for WDSP, well, the plans show that this expansion phase will make the park, a 3/4th of a park. So it gets us thinking what a complete park would look like...

It's easy to say when you live in the US and had so much new rides in the last 10 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom