Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

cjkeating

Why are we quite confident that the mini Galaxy's Edge is going to be anything? That's probably the main thing that hasn't been announced about which people on this thread are curious.

The curiosity is particularly fed by the fact it seems very strange the big relaunch of this park is going to involve such a long walk and big build up for... Frozen Ever After. As time is stretching on with no announcement of a second land, let alone construction beginning, the more it seems like the experience is going to be a bit weird with a one-attraction land sitting so far away from everything else at the back of the park.
Why do they need to announce anything when they haven’t cancelled mini Galaxy’s Edge? It’s still on the concept art on the constructions walls.

Frozen is 2025. The third land (should be) 2027 and who knows with the general lack of cash in TWDC maybe that will get pushed back to 2028 so it doesn’t clash with the 35th? They are in no rush to announce anything when they have people waiting for Frozen/lake/show/restaurant/Tangled.

mrflo

I find it generally fun to read rumours and speculate about what could come next. And it is not like Disney is not feeding the fan base with future outlooks at InsidEars or D23 events themselves. Though I have also read way too many elaborate rumoured master plans for DLP over the last 25 years that did not become reality - in particular on the attraction side. Hence, I tend to be more sceptical and cautious about anything that is supposed to arrive 3+ years in the future. Even once announced we know how quickly and often quietly things get canceled again.

Regarding the WDS expansion announcement that was made five years ago, I did not and don't care much about Frozen. For me it was always Star Wars and an attraction in the quality and scale of RotR that got me excited. I even went from Europe to WDW to be there for the opening day of Rise. Without it or an equal replacement - like FoP - the expansion would not live it up to the initial expectations that it raised those five years ago - at least for me. Like many of you already said - there will be even a visual gap around the new lake. Hence, I am particularly interested to learn if and how DLP will complete the "2 billion dollar" WDS expansion by 2027.

Sir_Cliff

I find it generally fun to read rumours and speculate about what could come next. And it is not like Disney is not feeding the fan base with future outlooks at InsidEars or D23 events themselves. Though I have also read way too many elaborate rumoured master plans for DLP over the last 25 years that did not become reality - in particular on the attraction side. Hence, I tend to be more sceptical and cautious about anything that is supposed to arrive 3+ years in the future. Even once announced we know how quickly and often quietly things get canceled again.
Indeed. Who doesn't like a good rumour!

I also find DLP rumours always seem the most random, though, so I tend to be even more sceptical than usual when I read about unannounced future plans online. My impression is that the European fanbase by and large doesn't have many actual insiders and is very creative.

Regarding the WDS expansion announcement that was made five years ago, I did not and don't care much about Frozen. For me it was always Star Wars and an attraction in the quality and scale of RotR that got me excited. I even went from Europe to WDW to be there for the opening day of Rise. Without it or an equal replacement - like FoP - the expansion would not live it up to the initial expectations that it raised those five years ago - at least for me. Like many of you already said - there will be even a visual gap around the new lake. Hence, I am particularly interested to learn if and how DLP will complete the "2 billion dollar" WDS expansion by 2027.
I like FEA more than most people on here, but even I find it an unusually slight attraction on which to hang this big relaunch of the park. Rise, on the other hand, does seem like a next-level type attraction that would create some genuine excitement for the resort. This is where the silence around what is going in that space creates a slight curiosity/anxiety about how long exactly Frozen is going to be the 'big' new attraction around which almost half of the park is built.

mrflo

his is where the silence around what is going in that space creates a slight curiosity/anxiety about how long exactly Frozen is going to be the 'big' new attraction around which almost half of the park is built.
So true. The silence or at best vague comments by Natacha Rafalski regarding the 3rd land basically create a vacuum that automatically pulls in lots of speculation. If DLP is not owning the narrative it just leaves it up to the fans to speculate and fill in the blanks.

Parkatm

I agree with everything you said, especially about the next-level type attraction which won't be FEA and I am afraid that it won't be TLK either. The silence on this 3rd land and the possibility that we might be losing the main asset of this expansion, is indeed causing a lot of anxiety (at least, my anxiety comes from there).

Though I have also read way too many elaborate rumoured master plans for DLP over the last 25 years that did not become reality - in particular on the attraction side. Hence, I tend to be more sceptical and cautious about anything that is supposed to arrive 3+ years in the future. Even once announced we know how quickly and often quietly things get canceled again.

Sir_Cliff said:
I also find DLP rumours always seem the most random, though, so I tend to be even more sceptical than usual when I read about unannounced future plans online. My impression is that the European fanbase by and large doesn't have many actual insiders and is very creative.

Well, we agree on the assessment : most of the rumors for DLP never materialize but I am not sure it is because they are false and the European fanbase is too creative. I think that they are often true but mostly get cancelled for economic issues.
So I tend to apply the same level of skepticism in front of WDW rumors versus DLP rumors in term of believing to them ; but nevertheless more cautious about their actual chance to happen someday when it comes to DLP rumors.

That being said, I hope that the fact that the resort now belongs to WDI entirely will mean in the future, that there are now, as many chances for a DLP project to be cancelled than a WDW project (and not more).

Moon knight

The silence on this 3rd land and the possibility that we might be losing the main asset of this expansion, is indeed causing a lot of anxiety (at least, my anxiety comes from there).
Have a hot cocoa + s'mores Walt Disney Studios 2.0 Park Disney's Worlds of Dobbies Park won't be rededicated sooner than FY 2025/6, then we'll have to wait two additional years for this third land 🥱

mrflo

Have a hot cocoa + s'mores Walt Disney Studios 2.0 Park Disney's Worlds of Dobbies Park won't be rededicated sooner than FY 2025/6, then we'll have to wait two additional years for this third land 🥱

Are you telling us that this is how the transformed Studio 1 will look like? 😆;)

sg-properties-firstlookinsidethenewdobbiesgardencentreintewkesbury-2022-news.jpg

Parkatm

The hot cocoa, that’s done ✔️ . I resigned myself to the wait, i am used to being anxious 😬

In French, we would call it the Walt Disney Truffaut Park.

XenoYosh

I hope the third land will open in 2027 :(
I’m afraid of being very old when this new land opens 😂

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I’d imagine these Avatar 2 box office numbers won’t all but influence what goes in the Galaxy’s Edge plot at Walt Disney Studios. Especially after Iger commented on Pandora being a bigger success than the already successful Galaxy’s Edge:

“We have learned that when we invest in increasing capacity, the Star Wars lands would be a good example of that, Pandora was a great example of that, we can grow our business.”

5D6ECFEC-D74A-43F4-8017-4AD075701A93.jpeg

Last edited:

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I’d imagine these Avatar 2 box office numbers won’t all but influence what goes in the Galaxy’s Edge plot at Walt Disney Studios. Especially after Iger commented on Pandora being a bigger success than the already successful Galaxy’s Edge:

“We have learned that when we invest in increasing capacity, the Star Wars lands would be a good example of that, Pandora was a great example of that, we can grow our business.”

View attachment 707322
I myself am hoping that Disney goes with Avatar in the former SWGE plot. Sounds way better than some Lion King land.

UNCgolf

I don't really get how a Lion King land would work in a theme park as there are literally no man-made structures in the world of the Lion King. It's not like they can just build an African village like Harambe at Animal Kingdom.

Yeah -- a Lion King ride sounds like a great idea (let's add that at Animal Kingdom, preferably as a new build but certainly instead of Zootopia in any circumstance). An actual land doesn't really make sense to me.

mrflo

I fully agree. The visuals of the movie with the iconic sunrise and endless views of African landscape up to the horizon are very strong. Trying to recreate this for a ride or even a mini-land could end up looking silly and cheap. The musical and other popular shows based on the Lion King succeed by giving an interpretation of the movie. Of course, the music is also playing a key role giving enough time for each popular song in a show format.

tlk25listicle_sunrise_3256d6d1.jpeg
3543.jpg

WDI did a great job with Pandora for AK, so I am not saying that it would be completely impossible. But Pandora has a fantasy landscape and had the masterminds of Joe Rohde and the creator James Cameron himself behind it. I doubt that they have the same creative caliber behind LK for WDS.

I would prefer them to use the Splash Mountain ride system for a Jungle Book attraction in Adventureland instead - characters are still very popular today, iconic music by the Sherman Brothers and the last movie Walt was involved in. Have Lion King in a permanent show/theatre instead like in AK and start building Pandora in WDS as soon as you can.

Sir_Cliff

Yeah -- a Lion King ride sounds like a great idea (let's add that at Animal Kingdom, preferably as a new build but certainly instead of Zootopia in any circumstance). An actual land doesn't really make sense to me.
In theory I agree, though I wonder what they could do with Lion King in ride form other than some kind of book report. Aladdin had a few obvious possibilities for rides, but Lion King is a bit harder to imagine for me.

I fully agree. The visuals of the movie with the iconic sunrise and endless views of African landscape up to the horizon are very strong. Trying to recreate this for a ride or even a mini-land could end up looking silly and cheap. The musical and other popular shows based on the Lion King succeed by giving an interpretation of the movie. Of course, the music is also playing a key role giving enough time for each popular song in a show format.
I've always wondered whether part of the reason we've never heard rumours of Lion King rides (until now) had to do with the difficulty in recreating the scale of the film. It's one thing to be weaving through a castle or woods, but the African savannah is a little harder to recreate. The only real way I could see it happening is with scenery close up and screens in the background, which could also end up looking a little lame.

As for the land, the best analogy I can think of is how you create a land themed to dinosaurs. Universal has gone with a theme park bringing dinosaurs into the modern world, and Disney a tourist town that has sprung up around an archeological dig. A land set back in the time of the dinosaurs, however, seems impossible to pull off believably as you couldn't include any obvious human structures. The same, presumably, goes for The Lion King.

Moon knight

The only real way I could see it happening is with scenery close up and screens in the background, which could also end up looking a little lame.
Well, they didn't use screens for this one... Efficient landscaping + rockwork usually does the trick IMO
91746963_10157514755457620_6188004136353529856_o_4853338a.jpeg
Disney Sleeping Beauty.jpg

Again Pride Lands : World of the Lion King (as I call it 😝) will feature 3 distinct sub-areas : 1) Timon and Pumba's Jungle, think of a cartoony version of Pandora. TDS' Neverland will mingle Mary Blair's inspired plastic flora with real plants and from what I understood they're taking a similar approach while designing this specific area ; 2) the Pride Rock area will be magnificent with Rhodes, red oats and lemon grass and 3) the Elephants Graveyard with its massive Elephant skull just like the one from the Art of Animation Resort at WDW (will that be even greenlit by today's oversensitive WDI teams ? We'll see ) and fuming dwarf volcanoes.

yensidtlaw1969

Well, they didn't use screens for this one... Efficient landscaping + rockwork usually does the trick IMOView attachment 707527View attachment 707528

Again Pride Lands : World of the Lion King (as I call it 😝) will feature 3 distinct sub-areas : 1) Timon and Pumba's Jungle, think of a cartoony version of Pandora. TDS' Neverland will mingle Mary Blair's inspired plastic flora with real plants and from what I understood they're taking a similar approach while designing this specific area ; 2) the Pride Rock area will be magnificent with Rhodes, red oats and lemon grass and 3) the Elephants Graveyard with its massive Elephant skull just like the one from the Art of Animation Resort at WDW (will that be even greenlit by today's oversensitive WDI teams ? We'll see ) and fuming dwarf volcanoes.
Is the idea that the flume would be the only Lion King ride? Or would there be some sort of smaller ride(s) in the Jungle/Graveyard areas?

SplashJacket

In theory I agree, though I wonder what they could do with Lion King in ride form other than some kind of book report. Aladdin had a few obvious possibilities for rides, but Lion King is a bit harder to imagine for me.

I've always wondered whether part of the reason we've never heard rumours of Lion King rides (until now) had to do with the difficulty in recreating the scale of the film. It's one thing to be weaving through a castle or woods, but the African savannah is a little harder to recreate. The only real way I could see it happening is with scenery close up and screens in the background, which could also end up looking a little lame.

As for the land, the best analogy I can think of is how you create a land themed to dinosaurs. Universal has gone with a theme park bringing dinosaurs into the modern world, and Disney a tourist town that has sprung up around an archeological dig. A land set back in the time of the dinosaurs, however, seems impossible to pull off believably as you couldn't include any obvious human structures. The same, presumably, goes for The Lion King.
Definitely agree that a Lion King land/attractions lacks an obvious route, that said, a Dinoland or Lion King could be like Camp Jurassic at Islands.

Surround the land with building-high rock-work or dense foliage, with the centerpiece being a nice water feature. Put shops and restaurants within caves, or rock overhangs. Think mermaid mermaid queue and the backside of 7DMT.

Lion King would be the same, except I don’t think building more than a mini-land would be smart. Just build pride rock as a centerpiece, have the attraction entrance be on the right side, exit on the left with a big shop built into the rock work. Have a restaurant embedded into a hill where pride rock is facing, or build it off to the side into an elephant graveyard or call it a waterhole and build it around a small lagoon and water feature.

I really don’t know what you would do for the ride vehicle, I honestly think a water ride works the best, because a water ride isn’t an animated object, it could be driftwood in a stream. Go through an ambient graveyard. It would be cool to enter a cave, have dark ambient lighting, then have scar walk out from above and try to recruit you to overthrow the king.

Scar is easily one of the best villains, so would be a good way to maximize his inclusion. Then you could have a couple hyenas throughout the line or initial part of the line, go to an elephant graveyard, then run into danger, have Timon, Pumba, and Simba rescue you from a waterfall. I imagine doing like Maelstorm, but instead of being backwards orient you forwards and have it overlook the pride lands, and then have side-track switch that takes you to a completely hidden area or a pivot switch through a dense jungle. Pumba could run and headbutt the side of your raft and then have you put in the jungle. You could have them do some Hakunah matata stuff, then eventually return to the pride land with a climatic battle with scar where you actually do go down a large drop where where you have another scene or two, like with Splash and then have the ride end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom