Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

mrflo

The only enthusiastic reactions to the new name that I have seen was mainly by some selected Disney influencers and content creators focusing on the expansion. The average comments about the new name on the DLP social media channels, YouTube comments sections, etc. went from "meh" to "too generic" at best. Many also pointing out the obvious flaws that we have mentioned here.

I think DLP still should be able to adjust the name. It is not supposed to take over until World of Frozen opens - which could be at least another 16-20 months away. It's not even something new for them. Think of "Discovery Mountain" becoming "Space Mountain", adding "Walt" to "Disney Studios Paris", etc. The big question remains what is the alternative that enables them to still have their rebranding/reset.

Sir_Cliff

The only enthusiastic reactions to the new name that I have seen was mainly by some selected Disney influencers and content creators focusing on the expansion. The average comments about the new name on the DLP social media channels, YouTube comments sections, etc. went from "meh" to "too generic" at best. Many also pointing out the obvious flaws that we have mentioned here.

I think DLP still should be able to adjust the name. It is not supposed to take over until World of Frozen opens - which could be at least another 16-20 months away. It's not even something new for them. Think of "Discovery Mountain" becoming "Space Mountain", adding "Walt" to "Disney Studios Paris", etc. The big question remains what is the alternative that enables them to still have their rebranding/reset.
I'm surprised they hadn't realised all the problems with the name, particularly the abundance of regional parks with slight variations of the name Adventure World. I don't see any reason they can'd just quietly back away from this if they have been surprised at the lack of enthusiasm generated by the name. They announce plenty of things that never happen, so I'm personally crossing my fingers they just leave the name as is or at least use some variation on cinema or movies in any new name.

mrflo

Was just watching the video of Tom Fitzgerald and Natacha Rafalski talking about the Walt Disney Studios' new concept, theme & name. Tom Fitzgerald mentioned that the entrance courtyard would no longer be in the past but become completely contemporary including the used graphics, background music or CM costumes. They want to make sure that guests know immediately that the story of the park has changed.

Seems like the scenario that was shared by one of the insiders last year did not make the cut 😟. Though I am glad we are still keeping Earfel Tower and the Fantasia fountain - I hope :

"There are plans to rename Front Lot into "Hyperion Studios" or "Walt Disney Plaza" (the initial name of BVS) and Production Courtyard into "Theater District" but those budgets solely depend on "what's left". The Hyperion Studios would necessitate the removal of the Fantasia fountain and the Ear-ffel Tower to fit the time period of the 1920s, whereas Toon Studio would have to be entirely rethemed to fit the 1950's era of Theater District.

In the best case scenario, Front Lot will get a vintage overlay with old posters, the Storytellers statue, old cars and the famous neon signage from the early decades of the WDC along with the removal of the Earfel Tower and the Fantasia statue. But they will probably use this overhaul of Front Lot to pay tribute to the 100 years of the company and thus have some references to both Burbank and Hyperion studios. They haven't took their final decision on this part yet, except for the Studio 1 case.
"

LondonTom

Was just watching the video of Tom Fitzgerald and Natacha Rafalski talking about the Walt Disney Studios' new concept, theme & name. Tom Fitzgerald mentioned that the entrance courtyard would no longer be in the past but become completely contemporary including the used graphics, background music or CM costumes. They want to make sure that guests know immediately that the story of the park has changed.

Seems like the scenario that was shared by one of the insiders last year did not make the cut 😟. Though I am glad we are still keeping Earfel Tower and the Fantasia fountain - I hope :

"There are plans to rename Front Lot into "Hyperion Studios" or "Walt Disney Plaza" (the initial name of BVS) and Production Courtyard into "Theater District" but those budgets solely depend on "what's left". The Hyperion Studios would necessitate the removal of the Fantasia fountain and the Ear-ffel Tower to fit the time period of the 1920s, whereas Toon Studio would have to be entirely rethemed to fit the 1950's era of Theater District.

In the best case scenario, Front Lot will get a vintage overlay with old posters, the Storytellers statue, old cars and the famous neon signage from the early decades of the WDC along with the removal of the Earfel Tower and the Fantasia statue. But they will probably use this overhaul of Front Lot to pay tribute to the 100 years of the company and thus have some references to both Burbank and Hyperion studios. They haven't took their final decision on this part yet, except for the Studio 1 case.
"
Not sure that makes any sense, outside is modern and in the now, then you go back to an almost throwback Hollywood premiere, then a stylised Broadway-type area? Doesn't seem to match up to me. 😂 but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Sir_Cliff

Not sure that makes any sense, outside is modern and in the now, then you go back to an almost throwback Hollywood premiere, then a stylised Broadway-type area? Doesn't seem to match up to me. 😂 but it wouldn't surprise me either.
Also, didn't the Walt Disney Studios Store just re-open a few days ago with an interior that leans even more into the old time Hollywood theming than the previous version?

nickys

Premium Member
So Arendelle is going to have a castle, an FEA type ride and a QS. Shops and presumably a meet & greet location. Anything else?

Do we know what the Castle will be used for - is it part of the ride or the location of the shops, for example? Or is it still to be announced?

Do you all mind if I rant on this expansion for a few seconds?

First of all, putting a lake in a MOVIE themed park is stupid, it takes up so much space and honestly they should have put more lands on the lake site they wasted space for a lake. And why is Frozen being added here instead of disneyland Paris? It would make far more sense to place it there and they chose a horrible place for a copy and paste of a ride we have already gotten two times. Whoever approved this was out of their mind.

LondonTom

First of all, putting a lake in a MOVIE themed park is stupid, it takes up so much space and honestly they should have put more lands on the lake site they wasted space for a lake. And why is Frozen being added here instead of disneyland Paris? It would make far more sense to place it there and they chose a horrible place for a copy and paste of a ride we have already gotten two times. Whoever approved this was out of their mind.
I wouldn't worry about them putting lands on the lake, so far officially we haven't even got all the lands that was due to be put around the lake 😂

Also the park is no longer movie-themed, its adventure-themed now 😂 The Lake is fine, especially if they put a decent nighttime show on it.

Stevie Amsterdam

Adding a lake, like trees and other natural elements, is actually a great idea. It allows for water based entertainment shows and connects like a bridge for one part of the park to the other. It's also a nice break from hopping from ride to ride. I love strolling around World Showcase Lagoon or the "sea" in Tokyo. Especially at night.

Kevin_W

It's a big QS... 200+ seating capacity from memory.

The Snuggly Duckling in TDS is reported as having a capacity of 620 (similar to WDW's Be Our Guest). There will be a couple other restaurants in Fantasy Springs as well, so I hope the Studios park gets a bit more food expansion. (I also hope the quality is good. WDS still has the worst food of any Disney park I've been to by a large margin.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Snuggly Duckling in TDS is reported as having a capacity of 620 (similar to WDW's Be Our Guest). There will be a couple other restaurants in Fantasy Springs as well, so I hope the Studios park gets a bit more food expansion. (I also hope the quality is good. WDS still has the worst food of any Disney park I've been to by a large margin.)
PYM and Remys are pretty good IMHO. Not stunning but not offensive.

There’s also the lakeside TSR to come too

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

A lake bring more views into existence that you don't get by cramming more lands into the same space. Sometimes the visual impact is the goal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom