Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Sir_Cliff

It never made sense to have a hotel in the middle of a studio backlot. That's why the area after you exit Studio 1 should have been historic LA proper with real buildings and fronts.

More greenery is nice, but it's not a substitute.
Yes, I also have to say that I am underwhelmed by the plans for the whole backlot area. They seem more like the kind of plans they implemented in the immediate aftermath of the park's failure (new paint and more greenery) when they had little to no money than what I would expect from the expanded budgets the park should have under full Disney ownership and without those crippling debt repayments.

LondonTom

It will also be fun when tourists ask for certain attractions and will be confused as to which are in Adventureland and which are in Adventure World

Just wait until Lion King Land first opens you have to explain to them about Hakuna Matata in Adventureland and the show over in Frontierland but the Lion King ride and land is over in the park called Adventure World 😂

Yes, I also have to say that I am underwhelmed by the plans for the whole backlot area. They seem more like the kind of plans they implemented in the immediate aftermath of the park's failure (new paint and more greenery) when they had little to no money than what I would expect from the expanded budgets the park should have under full Disney ownership and without those crippling debt repayments.
I kind of excitedly showed my partner (who comes with me on Disney trips but isn't as big a nerd about the ins and outs and goings on apart from what I inform her about 😂 ) the studio 1 concept art and she was like "But it looks the same as now?" 😂 I was like no, see they have added these planters that ain't currently and the paints are different 😂

Which sums it up well, I wasn't expecting too much but feel, like there could have at least been a few changes even if it was just more shopping (or food service options of any kind that ain't trucks, which would be great for the resort as a whole!)

fradz

Just wait until Lion King Land first opens you have to explain to them about Hakuna Matata in Adventureland and the show over in Frontierland but the Lion King ride and land is over in the park called Adventure World 😂
Good point, that's IMO gonna be an issue. LK land is in one park, LK show is in another entirely. The rest is like "whatever", people won't really care and likely will still call it "The Studios" for the next 15 years. I mean, most casual guests still call the resort "Euro Disney" so yeah :)

I've spent so much time in parks in the last 20 years that I can already hear families saying "I want to do the Lion King" ("Je veux faire le roi lion") and confusion arises.

cjkeating

Good point, that's IMO gonna be an issue. LK land is in one park, LK show is in another entirely.
That's assuming the Lion King show remains after the Lion King Land opens? Historically Disneyland Paris doesn't keep shows around for as long as WDW for example so I could easily see this being swapped out for another musical based on an IP that is popular but yet to be featured in the park. Moana for example.

Also don't forget it's common for IPs to be spread across multiple parks at WDW. And don't forget the Lion King show is in Frontierland as it is... Also Buzz and Toy Story Land are in two different parks already at DLP.

I also think people are putting too much emphasis on the land names, I don't think the general public especially first time visitors are that familiar with the land names. You just have to spend some time in Facebook planning groups to see the level of understanding most first time guests have of the parks.

mrflo

If you were ask to pick a different park name, what would it be?

If they have to add Adventure to the name, at least it should be a bit more specific and still be connected to the magic of movies - e.g. Disney Cinematic Adventure or directly Disney Cinemagic.

If the emphasis is more on the World part and it has to stay more generic, I at least would prefer something like Disney Fantastic Worlds - which was actually also the name of a D23 event.

FW-Celebration_Iris_For-Digital-780x440.jpg

lazyboy97o

If they have to add Adventure to the name, at least it should be a bit more specific and still be connected to the magic of movies - e.g. Disney Cinematic Adventure or directly Disney Cinemagic.

If the emphasis is more on the World part and it has to stay more generic, I at least would prefer something like Disney Fantastic Worlds - which was actually also the name of a D23 event.

Epic Universe at one time was going to be called Fantastic Worlds.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
How about a name that says "here, you'll find a whole hodgepodge of exciting themes loosely separated from one another, brought to you by a brand you can trust!"

And call it... Disneyland

It's worked several times before, they just keep re-using it. Throw a "II" on it and a city name. Done.

JaKnight

I think "Disney Hollywoodland" would have been a better name (Disneyland Paris, Disney Hollywoodland and if they ever built a 3rd park, they should keep on "land" on it)? They could have built archs or gates (They don't have to be as expensive as Epic Universe' portals) of entry for each area that show you that you are getting into each "movie" (Pixar, Marvel, Frozen, Avatar and Lion King/Star Wars or whatever). So the park would have a thematic coherence.

abaker1975

Whilst the new name is uninspiring I can live with the conceit of entering through a studio, then a movie premiere and then onto the land representing each film.

What I am more interested in is how much they improve Theatre district and the eventual films they will use for the pads around the lake. I also hope they start adding regularly to Disneyland Parc as the resort it's self needs one or two new things a year for quite a while.

celluloid

It needs something of a throughline.

If you entered through an interior studio pavilion to sent up the adventure and make that the core, than the Cinematic Adventure name would sort of made sense(since there is a weird edict in this hypothetical of having to keep adventures) but at that point, studio makes sense as well. Entering the movies and their worlds.

That is the big issue. You have a park with lands and no throughline, its not a very strong theme park. Certainly not to the Disney standards, or let alone Universal anymore.

For example. Islands of Adventure has a natuical look on adventure throughout the lands in ranodm touches, and the obvious fact that each one is based on an island of some sort, loosely for context or not. The throughline is there in the music, sounds and sights.

Universal Studios, as much as I often don't like recent additions that replaced superior ones, often keeps the strength of either in the movie when when they want the lines blurred or featuring attractions that relate to what people think movie making is. Sometimes, those lines are blurred into one, such as ET Adventure or Revenge of The Mummy.

EPCOT: While not a true world's fair. It was the throughline for a long time. It inspired to showcase the world we live in, and could live in, even when fantastical.

Animal Kingdom, obvious celebration of adventure of nature, caring for nature and inspired by nature as central back to the Tree of Life.

Epic Universe. This could be just a name of lands. But it is clear they are attempting an cosmic outlook on the concept of adventures and journeys of these worlds and portals will be connected by a center land. Much in the same way Magic Kingdom at one time, had Main Street USA unifying the spokes to different lands. There is a throughline.

What in the name Worlds of Adventure could connect the IP? It does not seem to follow that format.

Robbiem

Just a silly name. Really don't see the point of changing it. Most people wont care what its called and the name change cash could have been spent on something better like more place making improvement. There are still plenty of people who say Euro Disney or MGM studios

Having ‘world’ next door to ‘land is a bit odd too especially when land is bigger and better 😀

Sir_Cliff

Just a silly name. Really don't see the point of changing it. Most people wont care what its called and the name change cash could have been spent on something better like more place making improvement. There are still plenty of people who say Euro Disney or MGM studios

Having ‘world’ next door to ‘land is a bit odd too especially when land is bigger and better 😀
Yes, just seems like change for the sake of change and, in this case, the end result is arguably not even a lateral move but worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom