Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Indy_UK

Only a few hours train ride away we already have the parks:
  • Chessington World of Adventures
  • Adventure Island
The studio 1 retheme seems not that big of a change, it still looks like a Hollywood sound stage inside so I don't get why they are moving away from the studios theme but then building what appears to be a classic studio sound stage with building flats again.

It looks from the concept that they are playing the angle of Studio 1 is your portal into the movies with the new cinema facade but to me it looks like a cheap cutback to what they could have done there

IMDREW

Lots to unpack and the more I think about it all, the less I like it. Is there any chance in heaven they’ll rethink the name? There looks to be nothing but bad comments about the new name online. Surely thats not what they hoped for.

It’s a bit sad, having hoped for a DCA kind of reinvention of WDS to getting just lipstick on a pig. Expensive lipstick is still just that.

Creathir

Guaranteed this was done purely to satisfy some market survey which determined “Disney World” had strong name ID, so they wanted to capitalize on that…

Absolutely abysmal name. In no way does a single park deserve this level of grandiose, and given the similarities to other properties on that continent and in others, it feels rife with confusion.

Fuster Cluck I believe is the term…

WinD2

The only new rides in the park are what looks to be a Tangled-themed rehash of the Mad Hater teacup ride and Frozen ever After. What a waste. Disneyland Paris needs more rides and adventure, not photo ops. UGH!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Only a few hours train ride away we already have the parks:
  • Chessington World of Adventures
  • Adventure Island
The studio 1 retheme seems not that big of a change, it still looks like a Hollywood sound stage inside so I don't get why they are moving away from the studios theme but then building what appears to be a classic studio sound stage with building flats again.

In Florida we have an "Adventure Island" water park in Tampa that was there before Islands of Adventure opened, so yeah, similar situation.

This WDSP name change is very odd...also the logo looks like it's directly from Captain Marvel.

I don't know what I would have called it, but it wouldn't have been that.

Ice Gator

How many times do I gotta say... "DISNEY'S HOLLYWOOD ADVENTURE (PARK)"

I feel like that's a good name- "Hollywood Adventure". Committed to the worlds of the big Disney movie franchises, but not attached to the "Studio" aspect. Always felt like California Adventure would be better off having that title too- considering what is left of the small 'Hollywood' section and entryway is the only thing 'California' about the park now.

Yes, there is also Grizzly Peak- but I'm 99% certain that's where they are planning to plop their Avatar world they just announced for DLR. Might as well rename them both since they're essentially becoming the same park- Hollywood Studios knock offs with the only theming being "worlds of random popular IPs"

celluloid

In Florida we have an "Adventure Island" water park in Tampa that was there before Islands of Adventure opened, so yeah, similar situation.

This WDSP name change is very odd...also the logo looks like it's directly from Captain Marvel.

I don't know what I would have called it, but it wouldn't have been that.

Not quite similar.

Adventure Island...has no central theme other than tropical touches of asthetic to a water park. It is of course, the worst of the major FL water parks. It is really old and an extension of Busch's property in Tampa. We would hope Disney would do more than that.

Islands of Adventure is different. While it has slacked a bit with Potter. The concept was a nautical connection to adventure. While sometimes brought into context, it still had the connection with a shore for each "island" and Port of Entry being the land that ties it together.
Universal Studios
Disney Studios
and Hollywood Studios kept the connection to the movie making and hollywood that is inspired by real, never was and always would be as its central theme.

EPCOT, for a long time still had the spirit of a World's Fair in showcasing tech and culture through inspiration.
Adventure World sounds like a carnival.

This...

This has no central theme but that they are worlds, and you are going to have adventures. Adventures is in every story. So to use it as the central theme or world does not make sense.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Not quite similar.

Adventure Island...has no central theme other than tropical touches of asthetic to a water park. It is of course, the worst of the major FL water parks. It is really old and an extension of Busch's property in Tampa. We would hope Disney would do more than that.

Islands of Adventure is different. While it has slacked a bit with Potter. The concept was a nautical connection to adventure. While sometimes brought into context, it still had the connection with a shore for each "island" and Port of Entry being the land that ties it together.
Universal Studios
Disney Studios
and Hollywood Studios kept the connection to the movie making and hollywood that is inspired by real, never was and always would be as its central theme.

EPCOT, for a long time still had the spirit of a World's Fair in showcasing tech and culture through inspiration.
Adventure World sounds like a carnival.

This...

This has no central theme but that they are worlds, and you are going to have adventures. Adventures is in every story. So to use it as the central theme or world does not make sense.

I'm just referring to the naming convention, nothing more. Two parks within 2 hours drive with "Island" and "Adventure" in the name

SplashJacket

Any park with

“Hollywood”

or

“Studios”

or

“Movie”

Is automatically atrocious, unless it’s either in Hollywood or an actual studios (anything with movie is just always bad).

Glad WDSP changed its name. Nothing extraordinary, but an upgrade nonetheless.

I hope Hollywood Studios changes its name soon… it’s quite odd that a company who’s films are primarily filmed in Georgia bears the name Hollywood for its IP park.

celluloid

Any park with

“Hollywood”

or

“Studios”

or

“Movie”

Is automatically atrocious, unless it’s either in Hollywood or an actual studios (anything with movie is just always bad).

Glad WDSP changed its name. Nothing extraordinary, but an upgrade nonetheless.

I hope Hollywood Studios changes its name soon… it’s quite odd that a company who’s films are primarily filmed in Georgia bears the name Hollywood for its IP park.

I am going to have to tell you about...Magic and how it is actually not in The Magic Kingdom.

Also, Universal Studios Hollywood is in LA, but not actually in Hollywood.

How is a generic name of world and adventure at all an upgrade? It is fine if the park was changing its core theme, but there is nothing central about it like what other major theme parks in the Disney and Universal caliber have done in the past.

LondonTom

This is an awful name 😂 Should have just kept WDSP if they can't think of any better or worth having. It sounds so generic, like any number of small amusement parks.

I really like the suggestion of Disney Cinémagique Parc, but if they really wanted adventure in the name. They could have at least gone for Disney Paris Adventure, it at least feels correct and even helps DCA lose its idea of being a California adventure but Disney Adventures in California (and Paris).

As for the rest of the announcements, just fluff that should have been announced on a Disney Parks Blog post as they do it rather than having an anniversary event. (Nothing wrong with any of the changes, but it just feels a lot at once as DLP likes to keep silent in between events like this when a lot of these announcements should have been done individually so people discuss them)

The Studio 1 remodel is nice enough and I like the extra trees in World Premiere Plaza but much like Disney Village it feels nothing fundamentally is changing with it and at this time it feels like DLP needs some bigger changes in these places 😂

It all feels a little odd, can't believe they didn't even give a little tease at Space Mountain/Lion King land.

SplashJacket

I am going to have to tell you about...Magic and how it is actually not in The Magic Kingdom.

Also, Universal Studios Hollywood is in LA, but not actually in Hollywood.
Both names describe what it is and what it means
How is a generic name of world and adventure at all an upgrade? It is fine if the park was changing its core theme, but there is nothing central about it like what other major theme parks in the Disney and Universal caliber have done in the past.
Studios themes are just excuses to be cheap and they’re thankfully moving away from that.

No reason to keep that.

And for the people calling for Movie or even Cine******* whatever, Disney has always been and will always be more than movies. Even if you just look at IPs, Disney has movies, shows, cartoons, etc. But a movie-focus theme also prevents anything original from going to the park.

Do I think “Adventure World” is a good name, not really, it’s whatever, but it’s a better guide for the park than whatever sorry excuse of a supposed world-class attraction had before for its name and guiding principle.

mrflo

I was hoping for DLP to finally reveal the full details with new concept art about the new "theme" and storyline of WDS. Considering we have been shared almost all of those changes and teased about the plans by insiders more than a year ago, an official announcement was long overdue. At least I want to give DLP credit for providing those infos now.

While I had a hard time translating those insider scoops over the last years into a park theme that made sense to me , I was hoping for the official announcements to fill that gap. However, especially with the new generic name it is clear now that there is not much to make sense of and DLP creatively went the laziest way possible - with some very questionable decisions. Even Universal's Epic Universe - which hardly disguises to be an IP park - is way more elaborate just from a conceptional point of view. This has nothing to do with limited budget or the other usual constraints. Whoever has been or is driving those creative decisions for WDSDAW/DLP either does not care about Disney standards or is just not fit for the task. Seeing similar negative feedback on the official social media channels just on the name itself, I hope DLP is reflecting on those and going back to the drawing board.

With lots of additional funding supposedly coming to DLP over the new couple of years, I am getting worried again that this money would not be in the best hands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom