Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Animaniac93-98

Fries Head has always been my favorite Wonderland character.

I thought he was the Cheese Strings mascot

1710374039241.png

Same hair, and on a bike too!

FerretAfros

Fries Head has always been my favorite Wonderland character.
I have to assume they were going for the mome raths, the silent Tulgey Wood dwellers who get less than 15-seconds of screentime and are just as obscure in-universe as they are to casual parkgoers:

(Apologies for the cropped video and low quality audio; apparently the mome raths really don't have any fans out there)

I would guess this was done so the ensemble could be "characters" without actually being a specific character. But given the long list of recognizable Wonderland residents and somewhat-iconic visual style of both the animated and live-action movies, it's an odd choice made even more strange by the 90's aesthetic of the costume. Odd decisions all around.

UpAllNight

I just don’t understand the direction for this park at all, it’s such a mess. It’s like a jumbled ride-vomit without an overarching purpose?

Alice in wonderland, behind Avengers? A randomly plonked down tangled spinner and the way to a fully built frozen land. Lion King next to it?

cjkeating

Alice in wonderland, behind Avengers? A randomly plonked down tangled spinner and the way to a fully built frozen land. Lion King next to it?
Alice in Wonderland is a temporary show creating capacity for a resort that is getting busier.

The Tangled spinner will fit perfectly in the art nouveau gardens that are the promenade to the lake and then the path around it.

Regarding the link of Frozen and Lion King... I think we all just have to accept the lake area will be surrounded by unconnected mini-lands. I think of it as Islands of Adventure... yes the tenuous link is the IPs are all linked to books but in reality dinosaurs, wizards, super heroes and comic book characters have no obvious link to each other.

cjkeating

Perhaps you missed this show…

View attachment 773285
I honestly thought that this show was great in a hilarious way. I'd be happy if the Alice show was this much of a trainwreck masterpiece.

Kite Tails you could just walk in to, it had a fun pre-show for kids, the music was fun, the kites were hilarious and then you could just move on with your day. 15 minutes of entertainment for next to no time investment. The only downside was the heat if the sky was clear.

cjkeating

Have you seen the design of the ride? It's an art nouveau styled tea cup ride that happens to have boats and lanterns with a Tangled design.

I guess it depends on your views on modern theme park design. I'm not a fan of one IP lands unless it is really required and even then I think Disney has only ever done this well twice with Cars Land and Pandora.

I'm not sure when we last got a land or area that wasn't one IP themed at a Disney Park? Shanghai with their traditional MK lands? I guess Fantasy Springs at TDS even though in my view that is so IP heavy it's basically 3 one IP lands joined together by rock work and greenery. I reserve judgement until I've experienced it.

Sir_Cliff

The Tangled spinner will fit perfectly in the art nouveau gardens that are the promenade to the lake and then the path around it.
I don't really get why a studios park will now feature art nouveau so prominently, though. As far as I can recall, the logic behind the gardens and the choice of that architectural style seems to be just that they think it will look nice.

I don't love single-IP lands, but if they have to build them somewhere I can stomach them more at the Studios parks. Honestly, if one of the distinguishing features of the Studios parks was that they allow you to step literally into the worlds of different movies, I could see a certain logic there that differentiates them from the other Disney parks.

In this case, though, I don't see any thematic logic behind all the new connective tissue they are building to make the park hang together. The impression, at least, is that the Studios theme is going to sort of remain at the front of the park, then more or less disappear and give way to generic Disney theme park once you move past ToT.

wdrive

Have you seen the design of the ride? It's an art nouveau styled tea cup ride that happens to have boats and lanterns with a Tangled design.

I guess it depends on your views on modern theme park design. I'm not a fan of one IP lands unless it is really required and even then I think Disney has only ever done this well twice with Cars Land and Pandora.

I'm not sure when we last got a land or area that wasn't one IP themed at a Disney Park? Shanghai with their traditional MK lands? I guess Fantasy Springs at TDS even though in my view that is so IP heavy it's basically 3 one IP lands joined together by rock work and greenery. I reserve judgement until I've experienced it.

Yes I’ve seen the designs, Tangled and art nouveau will really struggle to be a perfect thematic fit imo.

Just seems very very random to me. Almost like they’ve gone through a list of IP that isn’t majorly represented in either park and decided Tangled was the main IP missing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom