• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

IMDREW

Great question. Long before the announcement of this very large plan, the main talks I was aware of regarding WDSP was a new "placemaking". This placemaking was mainly to improve "La Place des Stars" (the place where the former Cinémagique is, along with Stitch Live & all). However, during that period of talks, there were some people who claimed that Studio 1 (the building you go through right after entering the park) would be demolished and everything there would be re-themed / improved. Ever since the major plan was announced, I have not heard anything about either La Place des Stars or the Studio 1 revamp, but I will ask this during the evening (~8 hours from now, for the American readers)
Oh please do! I also hoped they would build a new sorcerers hat like DHS had as the parks weenie. I always thought that one would be perfect for WDS. Really excited to hear back from you!

IMDREW

Advertisement
@fradz Anything you could find out yesterday?

fradz

No additional news so far, and I doubt that the discussions prior to the large announcement are still very relevant. Wait and see, will keep you posted if I learn more ;)

Tom Fitzgerald briefly spoke about the plans for WDS during a conference at the first Disney FanDaze. Not many new insights, but he revealed some details about his vision for Disneyland Paris. He acknowledged that the 'boomerang' circulation path is a problem. According to Tom WDS is missing a Main Street and a hub.

To make up for the missing Main Street they're adding a garden walkway that leads to the new lake. This walkway will be set up as Jardin des Tuileries, a large park in the center of Paris. As we already know, there will be a number if immersive lands around the lake. The Frozen land has to become the weenie of the park. Tom said Elsa's castle will be 'Matterhorn-esque'.

He also called this expansion 'the frist phase' and mentioned that they are making room so that the park can continue to grow in the future.

Robbiem

Tom Fitzgerald briefly spoke about the plans for WDS during a conference at the first Disney FanDaze. Not many new insights, but he revealed some details about his vision for Disneyland Paris. He acknowledged that the 'boomerang' circulation path is a problem. According to Tom WDS is missing a Main Street and a hub.

To make up for the missing Main Street they're adding a garden walkway that leads to the new lake. This walkway will be set up as Jardin des Tuileries, a large park in the center of Paris. As we already know, there will be a number if immersive lands around the lake. The Frozen land has to become the weenie of the park. Tom said Elsa's castle will be 'Matterhorn-esque'.

He also called this expansion 'the frist phase' and mentioned that they are making room so that the park can continue to grow in the future.
Really interesting post. I agree that WDS is probably the worst designed disney Park anywhere so layout changes can only be a good thing. I also think expanding the park further is the right thing, i know there is a contractual obligation for a third park but at the moment i would really rather see WDS and DLP built up first. I think the WDS rebuilding has the potential to be a really exciting project on a par with the expansions in hong kong and tokyo

RunningKoen

It's been discussed here before but the lay out change might be the most important thing of the entire expansion. The amount of new attractions is relatively low, but the placement of them, combined with the lake as central hub, will have a tremendous impact.

I'm really happy with this vision, and the confirmation of the hub layout, because it can change the fundamental problems with WDS, making it the half day park it is now.

Also. Evening show @ hub.

IMDREW

I think fantasmic would be a too expensive show to run at DLP right now. With all the effects, fireworks and castmembers it requires. A world of color would be perfect for DLP and easy to make special versions for hollidays and special events.

MickeyMario

Considering the setup of the lake, a show that works from all sides would be ideal.

World of Color is great, but it works only from a very small section of the already small viewing area

RunningKoen

I think it will be a fireshow like illuminations, otherwise there wont be a lot of space to view. And a 360 view will help the lake become a central hub. DLP can have the big castle projection show, let WDS have something else

Retro Oswald

I have a bad feeling this nighttime show for studios park, will end up being similar to the show that Epcot is going to be updated to. If theres a lot of projection mapping involved, they can change the projections and have a 'different show'

I do wonder if they'll build the Alien Swirling Saucers as seen in the concept art.

It's pretty much the exact same ride as the Cars Rally ride and would be placed literally a 20 second walk away.
Three thoughts...
1) They are similar but the Cars ride spins whilst the Mater ride sways/whip.
2) MK parks often have very identical spinner attractions.
3) The area between Cars and Nemo is a bottle neck so with increased attendance the ride could need to be removed to improve guest flow.

Top Bottom