Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

cjkeating

Modern water rides can have the splash they cause from drops controlled and any other intentional water sprays can be turned off or reduced to not touch the riders.

I think what we should be focusing on is some of the best "classic" Disney rides are flume based rides so are a great ride system for Imagineering to utilise.

Also don't forget 2 of the 4 new rides at Tokyo's Fantasy Springs are flume rides.

mrflo

I think what we should be focusing on is some of the best "classic" Disney rides are flume based rides so are a great ride system for Imagineering to utilise.

Also don't forget 2 of the 4 new rides at Tokyo's Fantasy Springs are flume rides.

How would you define flume rides? To me Pirates is still more of a classic boat ride with some gentle drops. So far I would have only considered Splash Mountain as a Disney flume ride - still one of my all-time favourite attractions though.

The only way I could really see a Splash-style ride work would be if you briefly emerged for the drop and then quickly disappeared indoors again at the bottom of the drop. In general, you'd have to really tone down the amount of water that gets into the log/boat from Splash, at least during colder months.

I like the idea. It could be similar to what they have done at TDS with the drop at Journey to the Center of the Earth - of course with a different ride system.

4c42cc47.gif

Haymarket

This is Studio 1 presently, right?
1000004812.jpg

This is how it'll look after the renovation:

1000004814.jpg

Apart from the landscaping, is the cinema look much better? The present look has a certain balance to it, doesn't it? Maybe it just needs some landscaping in front?

Attachments

• 1000004812.jpg
    1000004812.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 50
  • 1000004814.jpg
    1000004814.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 41

Sir_Cliff

This is Studio 1 presently, right?
View attachment 752728

This is how it'll look after the renovation:

View attachment 752727

Apart from the landscaping, is the cinema look much better? The present look has a certain balance to it, doesn't it? Maybe it just needs some landscaping in front?
I think that is actually Studio 2 in the second picture (without too much of a change):

1699217808296.png

Haymarket

Do we know if they changing it much apart from the awning at the back?
Is the awning going in the back? WDW.NT says "The entrance into the park (on the left in the above rendering) will have a new awning and resemble a cinema." I guess then they mean that the entrance to the (rest) of the park is the back of Studio 1 then?

Last edited:

Haymarket

Ah - from the caption to that image in the original post:

"In this sectional view, we can see the two facades on the entrance and exit side of studio 1. The park is located on the left, behind a reproduction of the facade of a famous cinema. The canopy will allow the transition to the cinematic universes of the Walt Disney Company."

So the front probably won't be changed. Good. I kind of like it now.

BrianLo

Thanks for posting all of that! It really reaffirms for me the sense that it is a concept fans have been playing with for years (imagine a Lion King ride with a replica of Pride Rock as the facade!) but that if Disney was going to do they probably would have done by now. Again, I guess we'll see. I find the silence of insiders the thing that most makes me think it's at least a serious proposal.

The climate thing, though, really makes me think they wouldn't do this. I know they have Splash at Tokyo, but I really doubt Europeans are going to be keen on a flume ride with any significant outdoor section for large chunks of the year. I went during an unusually cold snap back in February and even Storybook Land Canal Boats was a little painful with a big jacket and gloves! If they're going to invest the $100million+ in a new ride, an outdoor ride that gets you wet really doesn't make sense. If it's an indoor flume ride like Frozen Ever After, well, wouldn't that a bit too similar to Frozen Ever After for a second big attraction around the lake?

They have the Flying Dutchmen at Efteling and whatever that raft ride is called.

It's also highly possible the entire attraction is indoors? I think the Splash analogue sticks in everyone's brain, but it doesn't need to be partially outdoors as much or even at all. Or a Crushes coaster type moment for some kinetic energy, but far far shorter than Storybook Land Canal Boats.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
@DonniePeverley , are you referring to this?

Even keeping in mind this was before Disney took over control of DLP, the Marvel plans plus Hotel New York and Disneyland Hotel plans are already done (barring the actual opening of the DL hotel which is next month).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If so, then it’s continuing. That was 6 years ago, the Studios expansion is ongoing and in that time they completed the rebuilding of Phantom Manor, Big Thundermountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Orbitron, Autopia, the castle and it’s a small world plus the retheme of Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, and added 3 new theatre shows. Now it looks like (H)SM is next. And then after that….

Last edited:

DonniePeverley

Even keeping in mind this was before Disney took over control of DLP, the Marvel plans plus Hotel New York and Disneyland Hotel plans are already done (barring the actual opening of the DL hotel which is next month).

Not much of a plan.

It's like me saying i'm going to have a transformative 10 year plan to redo my home. And end up just putting up some new towel racks. Crushing disappointment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom