Transformative Multi-Year Expansion Announced for WDS Paris

Jordan dby

Can't say I'm overly excited about this apart from doesn't this validate a bit the "in the knows" who teased this alongside the bigger stuff (lion king, Pandora galaxy's edge).

Of course, even if all that good stuff is planned, plans don't always become reality.

Supersnow84

Wasn’t mini galaxy’s edge always coming to WDS, the park is already a thematic mess but at least it will fill some more space down near frozen

WDS probably has the biggest capacity to absorb boring copy lands from other parks because it expands paris offerings without actually sticking things in Disneyland that don’t fit and built out DCA/DHS show that messy hodgepodge parks can still be fun if they have plenty to do, WDS’s problem was always just that it was a hodgepodge, but also a tiny boring hodgepodge

cjkeating

WDS probably has the biggest capacity to absorb boring copy lands from other parks because it expands paris offerings without actually sticking things in Disneyland that don’t fit and built out DCA/DHS show that messy hodgepodge parks can still be fun if they have plenty to do, WDS’s problem was always just that it was a hodgepodge, but also a tiny boring hodgepodge
In one respect WDSP was ahead of it's time being a messy hodgepodge of IP... it set the template for Epcot, DHS, DCA to follow...

Supersnow84

In one respect WDSP was ahead of it's time being a messy hodgepodge of IP... it set the template for Epcot, DHS, DCA to follow...
It definitely preceded most of the other second gates in being a place to shove weirdly out of place IP’s, only DisneySea and AK so far have avoided it and AK looks set to get zootopia and TDS fantasysea so even that’s changing and with GE, tron, arendelle and zootopia it’s even spreading to the castle parks

Regardless I’ll take messy IP filled WDS that both is bigger than what we have now and maintains Disneyland Paris thematic integrity over trying to buildout its core theme making an old MGM style park but that might be more due to the fact that I just don’t like studios parks anyway

cjkeating

It definitely preceded most of the other second gates in being a place to shove weirdly out of place IP’s, only DisneySea and AK so far have avoided it and AK looks set to get zootopia and TDS fantasysea so even that’s changing and with GE, tron, arendelle and zootopia it’s even spreading to the castle parks

Regardless I’ll take messy IP filled WDS that both is bigger than what we have now and maintains Disneyland Paris thematic integrity over trying to buildout its core theme making an old MGM style park but that might be more due to the fact that I just don’t like studios parks anyway
Oh I agree. I am so happy WDSP is next door to DLP so they can dump most of the ill-fitting IP there and not in the main park. I'm good with a Star Wars Land behind Discoveryland as it'll be quite inoffensive and it should mean we lose Hyperspace Mountain.

And I was kind of joking about the irony that the worst Disney park has become the model that other parks are indirectly following of an IP dumping ground.

Supersnow84

Oh I agree. I am so happy WDSP is next door to DLP so they can dump most of the ill-fitting IP there and not in the main park. I'm good with a Star Wars Land behind Discoveryland as it'll be quite inoffensive and it should mean we lose Hyperspace Mountain.

And I was kind of joking about the irony that the worst Disney park has become the model that other parks are indirectly following of an IP dumping ground.
I thought GE was meant to be next to frozen at the back of WDS, not inside main Disneyland

FerretAfros

No, it should be roller blading with these guys.

The White Rabbit can often be found on rollerblades in parades at Disneyland. He memorably had them for Parade of Dreams for (and after) the 50th, but occasionally also appears with them in other various small street performances

2449971369_e4140aa58f_b.jpg

Given that it's always the White Rabbit on rollerblades and never any other characters, I've always assumed it was a weird throwback to Adventures in Wonderland, which has otherwise been completely forgotten by Disney and the general public alike. The idea that this upcoming show for Paris may also trace its roots back to it may not be so far-fetched.

mrflo

And here it is... The Alice stunt show article from Outsidears
Can't wait to see the new Mary Poppins water ski show on the lake either. 🤡

9ade5-5.png

While it sounds quite unusual, I am glad they are using the arena for a new show. Would be a wasted space otherwise. Does anyone know whether the entrance to the arena will be via the new English Garden area? If yes, would this mean that this part of the expansion area will already partially open with the new show next year?

cjkeating

Does anyone know whether the entrance to the arena will be via the new English Garden area? If yes, would this mean that this part of the expansion area will already partially open with the new show next year?
I would assume next year the entrance/exit will be through the weird path that is to the right of Tower of Terror. It reopened with Avengers Campus but recently closed due to construction works. When they were attempting to do Jungle Book Jive in the stadium during COVID this was doing to be the way in/out.

TheLewisHK

I appreciate from a money-grabbing perspective works to their advantage longing this entire expansion out to 8/9 years in total, however this really should have opened with three full lands (even Iger 1 ride lands) rather than just the one. Frozen NEEDS the support and to be flanked with a land either side, and the LMA stage should have been knocked down with AC extended slightly with a connecting path to the centre lake.

The result when this opens is going to be confusing for guests, jarring and unbalanced. I would go as far as to say it is operationally a terrible expansion without the full offering around the lake.

TheLewisHK

Some very rough copy pasting and editing, but the point is made -

What we are getting:
image003.jpg

What we should have got:
pixomatic_5102023174849445.jpg

(EDIT) Even removing the awful cars road trip would free up for another land
pixomatic_5102023194243185.jpg

The expansion as it stands to open honestly makes no sense to me. I love DLP but the plan (what we know) is just such a disaster.

Last edited:

J4546

I agree to an extent but dont want carsland in Paris, keep it exclusive to CA. And yes Frozen land should have at least 2 rides. And I also think the cars road trip thing wont be there in 10 years (hopefully)

TheLewisHK

I agree to an extent but dont want carsland in Paris, keep it exclusive to CA. And yes Frozen land should have at least 2 rides. And I also think the cars road trip thing wont be there in 10 years (hopefully)
I am not too sure on how much WDW/DLP will share visitors, however I would hazard a guess that a DLP guest is far more likely to travel to WDW than CA. But I agree, ideally a couple of original concepts would be great for the lake area. When it opens it's just going to feel so unbelievably threadbare and I really do think they've created the same problem as when the park first opened - there's just not enough to do

rickreptile

I agree, it's such a pointless ride, but the water segment can be reused with a pandora theme, it's still an awesome effect which could fit well with the theme of Pandora.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom