Toy Story Playland

mvieguy

So, it's been mentioned in other threads, but I figured it would make sense to post it here since this is the topic...

Another website (one that can't be linked from here) reported today that a Toy Story Playland at DHS will consist of:

1. RC Racer
2. Woody's Round Up -- a re-themed version of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
3. A copy of the new LPS Luigi's Tire ride for DCA themed to Buzz [my guess: some short of flying in UFOs]

It sounds like an interesting mix and better than what is present at the other Toy Story Playland. (As an aside, I am curious if any of these will end up in Shanghai, which I think probably will be the case -- an attraction called "Woody's Round Up" is among those that WDW1974 said would be in Shanghai.) Regarding RC Racer, it has horrible capacity, so I wonder if they will double track it.

It also begs the question about what else is coming to the Pixar area of DHS. The footprint of these rides shouldn't be that big and there should be plenty of additional space among the old Backlot Tour footprint that more could be added. Is it unreasonable to hope for a dark ride or two as well?

And what about Cars? We know that Cars is coming in some capacity. It might include the town of Radiator Springs like DCA but without as much rockwork (you could just do the town without the mountain range in the back). But if they are putting reskinned versions of Mater's and the new Luigi ride in DHS then they surely won't be using those rides in DHS in any Cars themed area. So, what would they do?

would love to see a Floridia version of ratatouille

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If they retheme the Carsland rides to Toy Story does it make sense to build a version of Carsland at DHS? The rumor was replacing RSR with an all indoor dark ride but will that happen without any other Cars themed rides? Maybe they will clone rat ride instead. The other option is Monsters. They could go with a fleshed put Monstropolis area including at least a dark ride (clone from Japan?) and maybe a smaller ride or 2. The Pixar portion of this overhaul has to be more than just TSPL.

AndyS2992

So, it's been mentioned in other threads, but I figured it would make sense to post it here since this is the topic...

Another website (one that can't be linked from here) reported today that a Toy Story Playland at DHS will consist of:

1. RC Racer
2. Woody's Round Up -- a re-themed version of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
3. A copy of the new LPS Luigi's Tire ride for DCA themed to Buzz [my guess: some short of flying in UFOs]

It sounds like an interesting mix and better than what is present at the other Toy Story Playland. (As an aside, I am curious if any of these will end up in Shanghai, which I think probably will be the case -- an attraction called "Woody's Round Up" is among those that WDW1974 said would be in Shanghai.) Regarding RC Racer, it has horrible capacity, so I wonder if they will double track it.

It also begs the question about what else is coming to the Pixar area of DHS. The footprint of these rides shouldn't be that big and there should be plenty of additional space among the old Backlot Tour footprint that more could be added. Is it unreasonable to hope for a dark ride or two as well?

And what about Cars? We know that Cars is coming in some capacity. It might include the town of Radiator Springs like DCA but without as much rockwork (you could just do the town without the mountain range in the back). But if they are putting reskinned versions of Mater's and the new Luigi ride in DHS then they surely won't be using those rides in DHS in any Cars themed area. So, what would they do?
What? No Slinky Zig Zag Spin? I love that one, as simple as it is :grumpy: I hope it is included since it is so small and cheap to build with pretty large capacity.

mm52200

Regardless of what they plan on doing, they need to go ahead and jump on it and get started. DHS is hurting with atleast four attraction spaces not being used and needs new attractions and capacity ASAP. It's really unacceptable for them to close these things without immediately starting construction.

Donald Razorduck

What? No Slinky Zig Zag Spin? I love that one, as simple as it is :grumpy: I hope it is included since it is so small and cheap to build with pretty large capacity.

That may be the main course with the smaller rides acting as apps to come. Are they not adding a third track to Toy Story Mania. I like the well themed carny rides at the other parks, emphasis on well themed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Regardless of what they plan on doing, they need to go ahead and jump on it and get started. DHS is hurting with atleast four attraction spaces not being used and needs new attractions and capacity ASAP. It's really unacceptable for them to close these things without immediately starting construction.

But is it hurting from TDO's perspective if gate clicks have not decreased DHS is not 'hurting' from TDO's perspective and it is a validation of closing 'unpopular' attractions to save OPEX. From a Guest perspective yes the parks are indeed hurting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Its the most practical but honestly the most boring clone they could do. I'm glad they decided it would be better to leave it.
None of the rides from TSPL really appeal to me. I think they would be better off leaving it all behind and going with a Toy Story Spinner and the clone of the Mater ride from DCA rethemed to Toy Story. The Mater ride actually looks fun. The slinky dog ride at least has a low profile and won't be visible from the rest of the park.

doctornick

None of the rides from TSPL really appeal to me. I think they would be better off leaving it all behind and going with a Toy Story Spinner and the clone of the Mater ride from DCA rethemed to Toy Story. The Mater ride actually looks fun. The slinky dog ride at least has a low profile and won't be visible from the rest of the park.

To be clear: based on this recent rumor, they are indeed going with a Mater ride themed to Toy Story -- calling it Woody's Roundup and having it be wagons instead of tractors. I'm hoping that they have amusing songs to accompany it, as that is something that enhances Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

I wouldn't mind seeing Slinky Dog come to DHS in addition to the three rumored rides. It's such a small footprint and it would be unique for WDW (there's no catepillar type flat rides at WDW). it also would be all ages/heights -- both RC Racer (47 inches) and Mater's (32 inches) have height restriction. Yes, the limit for Mater's is pretty minimal, but if the idea for TSPL is to increase the number of rides that everyone can enjoy, it does cut off the smallest of guests.

Slinky Dog would obviously be all ages; in fact, it would really only appeal to the youngest of guests. I'm ambivalent, but would be fine if it were part of this expansion.

That said, there is so much room on the former Backlot Tour footprint, that the much more important question is what else is being added. It would seem to me that having some dark rides themed to Monsters Inc, Incredibles, Up, etc. would be sensible and would fit more into the kind of experiences that Disney has been known for.

wdrive

In all honesty I can't say I'd be thrilled when/if Toy Story Play Land came to DHS. It isn't great by any stretch, DHS needs more rides like this but Disney can do better.

DinoInstitute

In all honesty I can't say I'd be thrilled when/if Toy Story Play Land came to DHS. It isn't great by any stretch, DHS needs more rides like this but Disney can do better.
I, as well as probably most people, agree with what you said. However, it feels like a necessary addition because it is family friendly and something to do while the big stuff is being constructed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To be clear: based on this recent rumor, they are indeed going with a Mater ride themed to Toy Story -- calling it Woody's Roundup and having it be wagons instead of tractors. I'm hoping that they have amusing songs to accompany it, as that is something that enhances Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

I wouldn't mind seeing Slinky Dog come to DHS in addition to the three rumored rides. It's such a small footprint and it would be unique for WDW (there's no catepillar type flat rides at WDW). it also would be all ages/heights -- both RC Racer (47 inches) and Mater's (32 inches) have height restriction. Yes, the limit for Mater's is pretty minimal, but if the idea for TSPL is to increase the number of rides that everyone can enjoy, it does cut off the smallest of guests.

Slinky Dog would obviously be all ages; in fact, it would really only appeal to the youngest of guests. I'm ambivalent, but would be fine if it were part of this expansion.

That said, there is so much room on the former Backlot Tour footprint, that the much more important question is what else is being added. It would seem to me that having some dark rides themed to Monsters Inc, Incredibles, Up, etc. would be sensible and would fit more into the kind of experiences that Disney has been known for.
Agreed. I am in favor of this addition to increase ride capacity and also to add more to do for the whole family. It's a small percentage of both the total budget and total land cleared so I too am more interested what else is coming other than the Playland itself. That being said I think a Playland at DHS has to have much higher capacity rides. If this full expansion goes through the park will likely see millions of extra visitors a year. IMHO they should build a double Mater ride (themed to Mater or Toy Story) and a double spinner (dumbo style) themed to whatever Pixar property is appropriate. Build it right the first time instead of having to add 3rd tracks or extra theaters. If they build a third ride it could be slinky dog, but I think they need to build a double version of it. RC racer seems visually intrusive as well as incredibly low capacity. Seems like a train wreck waiting to happen. Nothing would be worse than building out the land and having a 60+ minute wait for those type of rides. They could probably flesh out the area with a kids play area or some smaller attractions like Belle's house or Casey's Splash zone from FLE.

With the space leftover I would hope for at least 1 Pixar dark ride in addition to some merchandise, food and meet and greet areas. Ideally we would get both a Cars and a Monsters dark ride. Having 3 legit D/E ticket rides (including TSMM) in Pixar Place would be ideal. Star Wars comes later on the other side of the park.

wdrive

I, as well as probably most people, agree with what you said. However, it feels like a necessary addition because it is family friendly and something to do while the big stuff is being constructed.

That was kind of the point I was trying to get. They can make things that are better than this and are family friendly though, but yes it does quickly and adequately fill a gap. I just (should) expect more than adequate from Disney.

ToTBellHop

That was kind of the point I was trying to get. They can make things that are better than this and are family friendly though, but yes it does quickly and adequately fill a gap. I just (should) expect more than adequate from Disney.
Eh, these additions are similar to Dumbo or the Mad Tea Party, which have always been welcome. DHS and DAK could both use more flat rides to help fill up your day without an E Ticket line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom