Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

rioriz

I think it depends on time period to an extent as well as the department. Back when Magic Kingdom had their E-Ride Nights, it was clearly based on popularity. I remember BLSRS, for example, being included.

There's what marketing would call an "E" and what imagineering would call an "E". For the average guest, they're going to go with whatever marketing says, as most people don't really know much if anything at all about imagineering.

Personally, I think imagineering is more in tune with the truth. I'm just highlighting that there's a conflict within the company itself in regards to what is an "E"or not. Marketing will always bulk things up, of course. Point is though, they're the ones communicating with guests, not imagineering.

Wholeheartedly agree! There in lies the discrepancy. Theres what Imagineers considerNd E vs. what Marketing/Public deem E's.

I kniw its unpopular theory but if we went back to Tickets, no question TSM will be an E, along with SDMT. I believe weve discussed in the past here the title of Super E's to describe the technological advanced E's in this generation.

Anywho i think we hit it right when we discussed that there is a difference in Marketing/Public E vs. Imagineer E's

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
In the new set of photos posted, where is the TSM entrance being relocated? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

Blue/black proscenium still to be built. Red arrow entrance.

1526415168684.png

1526415329712.png

Goofyernmost

Popularity didn’t come into it.

An E became popular since... it was an E.
Sometimes, but, not always. It has to really be felt that it was going to be a real draw or it wouldn't have become a part of the "preferred" ticketing to drive sales. Nobody, ever invested that kind of money thinking that it will be just alright I'll agree that the designations were absolutely significant back when ticket sales depended on it. All it is now is an opinion and has no real need other then nostalgia for some people. It is as fake news as there is in today's world. And don't kid yourself, perhaps only 10 to 15% of the current guests have even heard about E's, so it is meaningless to most.

lazyboy97o

Sometimes, but, not always. It has to really be felt that it was going to be a real draw or it wouldn't have become a part of the "preferred" ticketing to drive sales. Nobody, ever invested that kind of money thinking that it will be just alright I'll agree that the designations were absolutely significant back when ticket sales depended on it. All it is now is an opinion and has no real need other then nostalgia for some people. It is as fake news as there is in today's world. And don't kid yourself, perhaps only 10 to 15% of the current guests have even heard about E's, so it is meaningless to most.
Just because you’d don’t care about it doesn’t mean it is not a still widely used industry term that has meaning inside and outside of Disney.

TP2000

@wdwmagic the latest aerial photos are very interesting and lots of fun to look at, thank you for offering them up!

And @hpyhnt 1000 that compare/contrast you did with the model is also super fun to look at! Thanks!

The land is coming together, and the vegetation is already looking lush.

That said, they really do appear to be in a race to the finish here. I wish them luck, as even the most simple of rides need lots of testing and adjusting before it can open up to two hour long lines of paying customers.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
@wdwmagic the latest aerial photos are very interesting and lots of fun to look at, thank you for offering them up!

And @hpyhnt 1000 that compare/contrast you did with the model is also super fun to look at! Thanks!

The land is coming together, and the vegetation is already looking lush.

That said, they really do appear to be in a race to the finish here. I wish them luck, as even the most simple of rides needs lots of testing and adjusting before it can open up to two hour long lines of paying customers.

Their original, hopeful deadline was just 10 days from now! But now they have... checks my sig...

Brian Swan

I cannot understand the obsession of differentiating between the esoteric and not even agreed upon B, C, D, E ticket categories when they are completely meaningless to someone visiting a park. If they still had the old ticket books I could see why the chosen category might be important (they were kind of the first "tier" system), but now the distinction is OBE.

TheOrangeBird01

E Ticket queue:

HP-and-the-Escape-from-Gringotts-1_LR.jpg

Not an E Ticket queue:

toy-story-mania-indoor-queue-1-9.jpg

While I somewhat agree with your post, both queues are themed pretty much exactly to their IP. You can't really expect or even want Harry Potter levels of detail for Toy Story, because they aren't anywhere near the same type of property. What classifies as an E for one thing isn't always translatable to something else (in this case queue theming).

No Name

It looks better from the air.

For years Dumbo was one of the most popular attractions in The Magic Kingdom, with lines that snaked through Fantasyland. That didn't make it an E-Ticket.

Internally the ride was known as it was being designed as a fun D-Ticket. For a Dark Ride that seems to ring true - more ambitious than a C-Ticket Snow White or Mr. Toad, but less so than an E-Ticket Haunted Mansion or Great Movie Ride.

Dumbo has never been anywhere near the highest rated attractions. Yes, it had long lines because it had terrible capacity for what became considered a must-do classic. TSMM was the highest rated ride in the country. Not even a comparison. But it doesn't matter.

The idea of using a business tool to describe ride quality decades later is a bit stupid.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I cannot understand the obsession of differentiating between the esoteric and not even agreed upon B, C, D, E ticket categories when they are completely meaningless to someone visiting a park. If they still had the old ticket books I could see why the chosen category might be important (they were kind of the first "tier" system), but now the distinction is OBE.
Attractions still receive a designation class when being designed. Nothing to do with "tickets". It’s an industry term born of old but now used to describe the scale, cost, size and investment of a project. It’s also a standard that’s quite immeasurable with no solid, defined borders.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom