Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Winter

Well...

IaSW is an E-Ticket and here's its queue...

View attachment 284080

Another lovely E-Ticket queue...

View attachment 284082

CBJ jams the queue...

View attachment 284083
Those were E Tickets back in like 1970. I doubt IASW would be E ticket anymore, and Country Bear certainly wouldn't. And the monorail is a form of transportation rather than a ride so......

Regardless though, I do agree that you don't have to have an absolutetly amazing ride queue to be an E Ticket though lol.

Goofyernmost

Just because you’d don’t care about it doesn’t mean it is not a still widely used industry term that has meaning inside and outside of Disney.
Just because you do care about it along with a handful of industries that put some imagined value to it, doesn't make it of any real value to the majority. It is a dead term, significant, only to those you mentioned. The real value of any attraction is how much the public likes it. I could make an argument that Horizons, WoM, Imagination was an E when it opened, but, none of those exist anymore. Reason: it lost favor with the public. Internal opinion of greatness has to be proven. I think I'm a great singer... others would probably disagree.

yensidtlaw1969

Just because you do care about it along with a handful of industries that put some imagined value to it, doesn't make it of any real value to the majority. It is a dead term, significant, only to those you mentioned. The real value of any attraction is how much the public likes it. I could make an argument that Horizons, WoM, Imagination was an E when it opened, but, none of those exist anymore. Reason: it lost favor with the public. Internal opinion of greatness has to be proven. I think I'm a great singer... others would probably disagree.
Who's claiming it's valuable to the majority? We who post here are totally in the minority, and the distinction has meaning to us. Hence the discussion board.

Also, the reasons Imagination, WoM, and Horizons aren't around anymore is NOT as simple as falling out of favor with the public, but that's a discussion for another thread . . .

gmajew

Premium Member
I was really hoping they would be doing testing or soft openings when I was in town June 8th-15th but it does not look like it will happen. Tough to even go to Hollywood Studios for a day with out it open as you can be in an out in a few hours. So may be off to Universal for that day!

yensidtlaw1969

It looks better from the air.

Dumbo has never been anywhere near the highest rated attractions. Yes, it had long lines because it had terrible capacity for what became considered a must-do classic. TSMM was the highest rated ride in the country. Not even a comparison. But it doesn't matter.

The idea of using a business tool to describe ride quality decades later is a bit stupid.
I wasn't suggesting Dumbo was among the highest rated attractions, only that popularity does not necessarily equal ticket designation.

Rumor has it that The Great Movie Ride was rating low with guests towards the end of it's life, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an E-Ticket level attraction. The scope and ambition of that ride was matched only by other E-Tickets, like Pirates, Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion. The scale and scope of Toy Story Mania is matched by attractions like Buzz and The Little Mermaid (I might argue that Mermaid exceeds it).

It doesn't make the ride any less of anything it is to be a D instead of E-Ticket, but E seems to suggest it's more than it is, and more than it was intended to be. Even with it's mega popularity.

Goofyernmost

Who's claiming it's valuable to the majority? We who post here are totally in the minority, and the distinction has meaning to us. Hence the discussion board.

Also, the reasons Imagination, WoM, and Horizons aren't around anymore is NOT as simple as falling out of favor with the public, but that's a discussion for another thread . . .
Any mention of it is just plain useless. It is meaningless until the public decides it is a valued ride. It is a system for determining ride popularity that would cause people to buy more tickets. It was originally set up based on the things that Walt, basically, felt was a high quality, sure to be big, attraction. That said, however, he was also a businessman, something that Disney Cult worshipers fail to let themselves recognize. He put that emphasis on the things that he thought would be popular regardless of how god like he is seen. If he was wrong then it was no longer an E ticket because he needed them to sell more tickets and increase his revenue. That is real life and not the divine conveyor of entertainment that could not make mistakes others seem to think he was. Certainly, they think that with his halo glowing brightly it would never occur to him to take advantage of the good things to increase the income. I don't care if some people use it still, even though it is quite similar to heading out to go for a leisurely drive across country in a Model T Ford. It may still be around, but, it is no longer the vehicle of reality. To me it is the same as talking about how we should still use our trusty abacus because it was once a tool for math.

I have heard and acknowledge all the reasons why Horizon, WoM and Imagination are no longer around, however, if popularity had been up there you can rest assured that they would still be there just as Pirates and Haunted Mansion are still there after all these years. It is just plain practical retail math. Like it or not "retail math" is part of every business including the sainted Disney Parks.

JohnD

I was really hoping they would be doing testing or soft openings when I was in town June 8th-15th but it does not look like it will happen. Tough to even go to Hollywood Studios for a day with out it open as you can be in an out in a few hours. So may be off to Universal for that day!

I'm there a week from Sunday through June 3. Probably not likely for me either. I'll just have to wait until the fall or the holidays.

yensidtlaw1969

Any mention of it is just plain useless. It is meaningless until the public decides it is a valued ride. It is a system for determining ride popularity that would cause people to buy more tickets. It was originally set up based on the things that Walt, basically, felt was a high quality, sure to be big, attraction. That said, however, he was also a businessman, something that Disney Cult worshipers fail to let themselves recognize. He put that emphasis on the things that he thought would be popular regardless of how god like he is seen. If he was wrong then it was no longer an E ticket because he needed them to sell more tickets and increase his revenue. That is real life and not the divine conveyor of entertainment that could not make mistakes others seem to think he was. Certainly, they think that with his halo glowing brightly it would never occur to him to take advantage of the good things to increase the income. I don't care if some people use it still, even though it is quite similar to heading out to go for a leisurely drive across country in a Model T Ford. It may still be around, but, it is no longer the vehicle of reality. To me it is the same as talking about how we should still use our trusty abacus because it was once a tool for math.

I have heard and acknowledge all the reasons why Horizon, WoM and Imagination are no longer around, however, if popularity had been up there you can rest assured that they would still be there just as Pirates and Haunted Mansion are still there after all these years. It is just plain practical retail math. Like it or not "retail math" is part of every business including the sainted Disney Parks.
. . . That's a lot of Walt worship talk you just conjured in the discussion here. I don't think that's been on the map of this thread even once until now, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make to us. I think a lot of us recognize that Walt made money off of Disneyland and was pretty good at it. I fail to see anyone here actively groveling at his feet.

The usefulness these days in the Ticket nomenclature is to delineate what level of experience the Imagineers are intending to design and provide for guests. If that's not interesting to you then that's fine, but if you're concerned about finding meaning then a Disney fan discussion board may not be the place. Fan forums like this are generally harmless and often engaging but a relatively non-useful endeavor save for providing a venue to express ones interest in the subject at hand. Which is what most of us are doing here.

What's more, the E-ticket system still comes into play because there isn't another model that's supplanted it yet in terms of the rating of theme park experiences. It's not a very public model anymore, which is why sometimes we enter this gray area in discussing what lands where, but it's rich in it's history and speaks to the guest expectation for those who are familiar with its workings. And it's apparently not useless, or so much of this thread wouldn't have become about it. It doesn't seem necessary for you to police the subject so ardently.

JohnD

. . . That's a lot of Walt worship talk you just conjured in the discussion here. I don't think that's been on the map of this thread even once until now, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make to us. I think a lot of us recognize that Walt made money off of Disneyland and was pretty good at it. I fail to see anyone here actively groveling at his feet.

The usefulness these days in the Ticket nomenclature is to delineate what level of experience the Imagineers are intending to design and provide for guests. If that's not interesting to you then that's fine, but if you're concerned about finding meaning then a Disney fan discussion board may not be the place. Fan forums like this are generally harmless and often engaging but a relatively non-useful endeavor save for providing a venue to express ones interest in the subject at hand. Which is what most of us are doing here.

What's more, the E-ticket system still comes into play because there isn't another model that's supplanted it yet in terms of the rating of theme park experiences. It's not a very public model anymore, which is why sometimes we enter this gray area in discussing what lands where, but it's rich in it's history and speaks to the guest expectation for those who are familiar with its workings. And it's apparently not useless, or so much of this thread wouldn't have become about it. It doesn't seem necessary for you to police the subject so ardently.

A fascinating discussion to be sure -- to be discussed in General Discussion. I know, I know. I'm not @The Mom but I'm on this thread looking for Toy Story Land news and this debate is cluttering that up.

Disneyhead'71

Agreed, looks like it really coming along now. I think there wil be a big push in a couple of weeks from now on that midway mania entrance but the rest looks like the DVC booth and more trees to be planted
I don't believe that it will be as tight in regards to getting finished as people think. There really isn't that much left to do. And over a month to do it.

JohnD

I don't believe that it will be as tight in regards to getting finished as people think. There really isn't that much left to do. And over a month to do it.

Which, if memory serves, construction hands over to operations. So that could be in the next several weeks with training for CMs to follow. I'm basing this on what I've read from others commenting on this forum. Those in the know can better clarify.

flyerjab

Number of things of note (to me anyway):
  • Amazing what 2 months will do for vegetation in Florida. Yes, a lot more plants have been added, but what was already in place is so much more lush and green, especially around the coaster track.
  • They've matched the paint on the side of the TSMM show building along the entrance path to the land so it's all one color.
  • The walkway railings are quite different from the model. Undecided if they're an upgrade or downgrade overall.
  • The entrance marquee for A S S is much more elaborate than what was shown in the model. A definite step up. Still waiting on more props for the queue area. Subtle tweaks to the color scheme of the roof as well it appears.
A few model vs. actual shots (all from @wdwmagic):
View attachment 283951

View attachment 283958

View attachment 283953

View attachment 283955

View attachment 283956

View attachment 283957

I am quite impressed with how good of a job they did making it look like actual toy sets. Especially in the first photo of the SDD queue area. In that photo it looks like an actual toy to me, and not a life-sized ride. I think Imagineering did a great job with this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom