Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

disnyfan89

Yeah, anyone know the etymology of the term "gravity building"?

Not sure of the history behind the term but I know that it's a common industry term/phrasing as at Universal the main coaster section after the launch on the mummy is referred to as the Gravity Zone/Section. In looser terms I think this just refers to the section of the coaster that is "powered" by Gravity. So since you are launched into the building containing the gravity section it is referred to as the "Gravity Building".

sedati

Just a heads-up that Bioreconstruct is putting up some wonderful new aerials. Here we can see the Jenga tower very much in place:
DNvcLTZU8AAUdZR.jpg:large

Also, take note of the area slightly to the right of top center. A paved area off the main path, next to Toy Story Mania. It's there on the model and artwork, but is left fairly nondescript. My guess is stroller parking.

Last edited:

DisneyPrincess5

I wonder when they will officially announce the Memorial Day opening. DH and I are taking a trip 5/20-5/27 and my Type A parts of me want to know more firmed up details so we can plan when we can go to DHS if at all. Trying to get a FP for the coaster should be fun :rolleyes:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, take note of the area slightly to the right of top center. A paved area off the main path, next to Toy Story Mania. It's there on the model and artwork, but is left fairly nondescript. My guess is stroller parking.
It is stroller parking. The TSM entrances are in the wall facing the stroller parking (not the wall facing the camera). The pathways to them will be in the shaded dirt area.

sedati

The TSM entrances are in the wall facing the stroller parking (not the wall facing the camera)
Here is another aerial from Biorecontruct that I've edited to show the Toy Story Mania Entrance:
DNvaIGIVQAAdizn.jpg_large.jpg

And for comparison, here is a cropped image taken from Blog Mickey:
toy-story-land-model-11.jpg

It's hard to see, but if you look, you can see the entrance marquee that you will pass under.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here is another aerial from Biorecontruct that I've edited to show the Toy Story Mania Entrance:
View attachment 241564

And for comparison, here is a cropped image taken from Blog Mickey:View attachment 241570

It's hard to see, but if you look, you can see the entrance marquee that you will pass under.
For your viewing pleasure I've amended it:

IMG_7946.JPG

Yellow is standby, including the second exterior switchback. Red is the genius that is FP+.

sedati

For your viewing pleasure I've amended it:

View attachment 241572

Yellow is standby, including the second exterior switchback. Red is the genius that is FP+.

My guess actually had Standby on the left. My reasoning comes from the fact that on the model you can see more straws between the new entrance building and the main show building- a fair plot of land. My assumption was that there would be an outdoor overflow queue to extend Standby in that area. Those upright straws would be barely visible and seem hardly worth the cost if that area wasn't used for something.

Throughout the model we see straws that are bent and straws that are straight. The bent ones have already been spotted at the entrance (unpainted) and clearly have a downward facing light. The straight ones... that's tricky. Could they be speaker poles? Could they also light up, but the whole shaft glows instead of offering a simple directional light? They don't seem to appear in the other Toy Story Lands. I don't think they're to be used to hang the Christmas lights- which we see in both the artwork and other similar lands to be strung between Andy's many Tinker-Toy creations. And to be realistic, a plastic straw isn't good for supporting much of anything. But they do appear in that back area, and they must serve some sort of purpose.

sedati

Mines not a guess ;)
Sorry, I wasn't trying to contradict your info, only state what I was seeing. I am still curious about the function of the upright straws. They could be purely decorative, but seeing how they are spread out seems to say they have a specific purpose/function. And it may just be an artistic flourish, but the model does show the entry building themed and painted fully in-the-round where the others aren't. There is a landscaping difference there as well. Again, I'm not contradicting you, only saying these points seem to indicate a public use of that back area.

Here's a better photo from Bioreconstruct showing the current status of the Mania Queue buildings, so other readers can more easily interpret Marni1971's new info:
DNvbma6WsAEDRVa.jpg:large

Jones14

So where does Potato Head show up in all this? I would assume that he’s in one of the two new buildings and not the soundstage itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom