Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

CinematicFusion

The problem isn't that a single movie is getting a dedicated land.
The problem is that Toy Story is the one movie getting a dedicated land, a property that Disney has already done to do death. There are already two dedicated attractions at Disney World right now and two similar Toy Story lands built at other Disneylands. On top of that, it appears that there's going to be significant aesthetic overlap with things Disney has done before like Bug's Land and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, also at Disney World.

Potterland set the bar because it's beautiful and impressive, not because it was all based on one movie.
Toy Story Land v3.0 might be beautiful and impressive, but given what we've seen of this kind of thing in the past, my expectations are low.
This is probably going to be a lot closer to Dino-Rama than Diagon Alley.

Better than what we have now, though. We just have to keep reminding ourselves of that.

toy-story-land.jpg
That background building is in the plans for DHS (the building with the A..B..C.. on the side and board game on roof) Is that TS Midway Mania? You can see it in the plans...

DSCN1080-1024x768.jpg

8_15_WDI_008-1-640x420-1440x564_c.jpg

Evolution

Using the term Pixie Dusters makes you sound a bit immature about this whole thing. That kind of condescending attitude isn't going to win you any debates, and it certainly doesn't make you sound any smarter. In fact, you come off sounding overly defensive when you resort to using terms like Pixie Dusters, as if you know that Hulk Coaster feels like it belongs in a Six Flags park. And while I've never said that I don't need to go to Universal (both parks are great), Hulk does feel to me like it's been plucked straight out of a Six Flags. Same for Rip Ride Rockit. Neither of them do a very good job of theming to make them feel unique (same goes for Primeval Whirl @ AK, but I suppose it fits the conceit of Chester and Hester's roadside carnival). Hulk has no story, nothing to draw you in and make you feel like there's a reason for this thing being here. I like the coaster, but it's ugly and the queue and the area around the coaster are not very memorable. Dragon Challenge fares better thanks to the queue and setting.

NearTheEars explained the premise of the Toy Story coaster, which was covered in the press info and yesterday's presentations. The idea is that you've been shrunk down to the size of a toy. All of Toy Story Land at DHS is supposed to be Andy's back yard, and he's set up all his toys and play sets, including a toy roller coaster set, but instead of using the train that came with it he's using Slinky Dog as the train. It's up to the guest to decide if they buy into that or not.

Straight from their website:

"Enter the laboratories of Dr. Bruce Banner and marvel at the towering scientific machinery. As you approach his gamma-ray accelerator warning lights flash and sirens sound – something's gone terribly wrong with the experiment. Your surroundings go rushing by you in a blur as you feel yourself transformed into The Incredible Hulk®."

It's also getting a 10 month long refurbishment starting next month.

Seeing a couple of toys along the ride won't make the this Slinky coaster feel special. It's still barely themed and would fit right in at a Six Flags. No need for a double standard.

DisDan

Straight from their website:

"Enter the laboratories of Dr. Bruce Banner and marvel at the towering scientific machinery. As you approach his gamma-ray accelerator warning lights flash and sirens sound – something's gone terribly wrong with the experiment. Your surroundings go rushing by you in a blur as you feel yourself transformed into The Incredible Hulk®."

It's also getting a 10 month long refurbishment starting next month.

Seeing a couple of toys along the ride won't make the this Slinky coaster feel special. It's still barely themed and would fit right in at a Six Flags. No need for a double standard.
Wow you can tell all this from concept art? Amazing, there is probably a lot of detail to this ride you are missing, sure it's a coaster but it looks to be very tightly integrated to the theme of the whole area. Also, that building to load and unload might tell a story to setup the ride and there seems to be some cool unique elements in the ride like that launch portion in the middle, which i'm sure ties into the story.

msteel

I think the coaster looks fun. I think the exposed track would work fine with the theme in this case.
From what I hear about the Junkyard Jamboree the alien ride sounds fun too.

And it will open (along with Pandora) on January 6th, 2017 :p

Evolution

Wow you can tell all this from concept art? Amazing, there is probably a lot of detail to this ride you are missing, sure it's a coaster but it looks to be very tightly integrated to the theme of the whole area. Also, that building to load and unload might tell a story to setup the ride and there seems to be some cool unique elements in the ride like that launch portion in the middle, which i'm sure ties into the story.

I agree, the ride looks great. I doubt they will theme it or try to sell a story like you are saying though. Unless it has onboard audio or something, it'll be hard to understand the story anyway. Have you seen the Tron coaster in Shanghai? It goes outdoors but it's covered. Disney is just going the frugal way with this coaster.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
We are the size of the toy soldiers.
That's basically the conceit of the TSPL in France. So Buzz is huge and RC Racer is huge and the walkie talkie is huge and Slinky Dog is huge. But you are the same size as the soldiers which is why you fit right into their seats on the drop ride.

DinoInstitute

Interesting thought I saw on another forum. We have already talked about the structure at the top of this picture will be the new entrance to TSMM. Someone had the idea that the barn at the bottom would not only be a store, but would also be the new exit, which would making perfect sense dropping the ride out into a shop.
View attachment 106268
Wouldn't surprise me. But those buildings don't really seem to be connected in the concept art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom