Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

orlando678-

By that addage you presumably think Chester & Hesters is prefect to, because that is exactly like a roadside carnival and thus matches it theme.

So far, I'd rate this announcement as 3/10 or a D-.
Very disappointing. They have the opportunity to do something mind blowing, but yet again they turn the dial down to absolute minimum and people lap it up.

Obviously we will wait and see, but with the strong rumours that Nintendo will be opening up the road at Universal in 2017 (thus probably before this) and hearing about the rumoured additions that will bring; it's clear where the smart people will be heading.
I actually dont like chester and hesters. It doesnt fit the dinosaur theme for me. The slinky ride however fits the toy theme perfectly for me

lazyboy97o

With completely different attractions
Rides do not created a themed experience. The design and experience of the land itself is going to be very similar.

So you would rather have a coaster in a toy themed land not be themed as a toy? I don't follow.

I don't think it will look cheap at all.

The other two Toy Story lands however ...
See above, the rides are not going to drastically change an established and repeated aesthetic. The entire problem with the land is it was created to justify pretty much any and all off the shelf rides. A custom coaster layout is not some crazy, over-the-top idea when companies like Six Flags and Cedar Fair will buy several in a single year. It's a coaster that has been "themed" with a theme that will fit anything. A Mickey Mouse ride could be added because there have been Mickey Mouse toys for years. They could add some more Star Wars rides here because there are Star Wars toys. Radiator Springs Racers could be value engineered to a bunch of flats as the Radiator Springs Racers Play Set. This is an amusement park with a common aesthetic and branding.

RMichael21

To be honest, I like this addition and here's why. Firstly, it's not meant to be some huge, amazing, over the top themed experience. Sure, it can be well themed and have decent attractions, but Toy Story Land's main purpose isn't the same as Star Wars Land's main purpose. For SWL, Disney wants to really WOW the crowd with new experiences that fans of the franchise and normal guests alike and enjoy. However, TSL's purpose is firstly to increase capacity in order to support the mass crowds the park will surely see once SWL is open and secondly to introduce attractions that the whole family can ride together, as TSMM is truly the only family ride that everyone can experience together.

I think that all of this negativity is coming from those who were expecting something that is not what DHS needs. I've said countless times that while DHS could use some new E-Tickets, it truly needs C and D Ticket family attractions to increase capacity and give something to do for the little ones.

I think that these additions will do just that. While the land isn't perfect, I think that it'll surely help round out the park once its done.

NearTheEars

Rides do not created a themed experience. The design and experience of the land itself is going to be very similar.

See above, the rides are not going to drastically change an established and repeated aesthetic. The entire problem with the land is it was created to justify pretty much any and all off the shelf rides. A custom coaster layout is not some crazy, over-the-top idea when companies like Six Flags and Cedar Fair will buy several in a single year. It's a coaster that has been "themed" with a theme that will fit anything. A Mickey Mouse ride could be added because there have been Mickey Mouse toys for years. They could add some more Star Wars rides here because there are Star Wars toys. Radiator Springs Racers could be value engineered to a bunch of flats as the Radiator Springs Racers Play Set. This is an amusement park with a common aesthetic and branding.

If any of those IPs showed up in the film then I'd agree they could probably add them into the land. If not, they'd have to be separate, which honestly I wish they had gone with an overall Pixar Place theme instead of Toy Story specific.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Agreed. A full Pixar area (or Marvel area) would make more sense in the larger scope of things. IMO, Marvel might have made more sense as a "land" though since Pixar's IP's are included in other parks. Regardless, both the StarWars and TS areas look like they're going to be great. :)

Marvel can't come to WDW until they build a large enough slate of popular movies and characters then the ones that are already being used at Islands of Adventure. Right now they have Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy. I believe everything else is off the table.

wdwgreek

Marvel can't come to WDW until they build a large enough slate of popular movies and characters then the ones that are already being used at Islands of Adventure. Right now they have Big Hero 6 and Guardians of the Galaxy. I believe everything else is off the table.
Which would explain why we have had a Baymax meet and a greet and that rumor about the GOTG GMR overlay, thank heavens for the TCM refresh!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interesting thought I saw on another forum. We have already talked about the structure at the top of this picture will be the new entrance to TSMM. Someone had the idea that the barn at the bottom would not only be a store, but would also be the new exit, which would making perfect sense dropping the ride out into a shop.
Capture.JPG

Mawg

To be honest, I like this addition and here's why. Firstly, it's not meant to be some huge, amazing, over the top themed experience. Sure, it can be well themed and have decent attractions, but Toy Story Land's main purpose isn't the same as Star Wars Land's main purpose. For SWL, Disney wants to really WOW the crowd with new experiences that fans of the franchise and normal guests alike and enjoy. However, TSL's purpose is firstly to increase capacity in order to support the mass crowds the park will surely see once SWL is open and secondly to introduce attractions that the whole family can ride together, as TSMM is truly the only family ride that everyone can experience together.

I think that all of this negativity is coming from those who were expecting something that is not what DHS needs. I've said countless times that while DHS could use some new E-Tickets, it truly needs C and D Ticket family attractions to increase capacity and give something to do for the little ones.

I think that these additions will do just that. While the land isn't perfect, I think that it'll surely help round out the park once its done.

I think most people get this, I do. This is much needed. I think what is bothering most people is they were still expecting more, a 3rd land. Indiana, Monsters, Cars, Muppets, new shows, just something else too. Maybe it's still coming and not announced yet. But, in the end if all that gets added is this and a new Star Wars land is it enough to make this park feel complete?

orlando678-

I kind of hope that now that we have this Toy Story Land, Buzz will be replaced in MK. Perhaps with a "Hero's Duty" attraction redo (from Wreck-it Ralph, which would really fit the shooter style.

Or you know, maybe something original and cool.
Why would they add another ride that doesnt fit "Tomorrow"land

Disneyhead'71

TWDC went from 1967 to 2001 without adding any new flat rides to their catalogue. During that time they built MK, Epcot, TDL, Eurodisney, MGM, and DAK. It wasn't until DCA opened that more lightly themed flat rides were introduced. And I guess the glowing success of DCA 1.0 convinced them that it is the path to success!

DHS doesn't need flat rides. What DHS needs is high capacity family rides. Flat rides traditionally aren't very high capacity. And Slinky doesn't appear to be much better than 7DMT in that regard. So while this will certainly help capacity wise, it biggest plus to the park is that it serves the demo that only TSMM is serving now.

ToTBellHop

Interesting thought I saw on another forum. We have already talked about the structure at the top of this picture will be the new entrance to TSMM. Someone had the idea that the barn at the bottom would not only be a store, but would also be the new exit, which would making perfect sense dropping the ride out into a shop.
View attachment 106268
Presumably that could only physically be the exit for the current two tracks. The new track would have to exit on the opposite side of the queue.

Disneyhead'71

View attachment 106268
I would say with the Al's Toy Barn facade and the angled walkway coming from TSMM, that it's a given.

ToTBellHop

I think most people get this, I do. This is much needed. I think what is bothering most people is they were still expecting more, a 3rd land. Indiana, Monsters, Cars, Muppets, new shows, just something else too. Maybe it's still coming and not announced yet. But, in the end if all that gets added is this and a new Star Wars land is it enough to make this park feel complete?
No, it won't. Which is why I don't think it is all we are getting. If you want an IP-driven park, you need at least one more mini land.

Bairstow

I think its funny how everyone is complaining about it being a full fledged land dedicated to one movie, but then state how successful Potterland is at Uni and how Disney needed to do something to counter it. Make up your minds people.

The problem isn't that a single movie is getting a dedicated land.
The problem is that Toy Story is the one movie getting a dedicated land, a property that Disney has already done to do death. There are already two dedicated attractions at Disney World right now and two similar Toy Story lands built at other Disneylands. On top of that, it appears that there's going to be significant aesthetic overlap with things Disney has done before like Bug's Land and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, also at Disney World.

Potterland set the bar because it's beautiful and impressive, not because it was all based on one movie.
Toy Story Land v3.0 might be beautiful and impressive, but given what we've seen of this kind of thing in the past, my expectations are low.
This is probably going to be a lot closer to Dino-Rama than Diagon Alley.

Better than what we have now, though. We just have to keep reminding ourselves of that.

toy-story-land.jpg

TalkingHead

My biggest concern is that they are using 11 acres for Toy Storyland. It seem you could fit another kids attractions with all that space. Something like Heimlich's Chew Chew Train would be nice for the little ones.

Here in Florida we have the blessing of size...all this lovely space we can inefficiently develop like its the sprawling Atlanta suburbs.

Not to throw salt on the open wound, but can you imagine how effectively 11 acres would be used at DL?

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

Here in Florida we have the blessing of size...all this lovely space we can inefficiently develop like its the sprawling Atlanta suburbs.
Really, no need to cram anything in, but 11 acres, come on.
I know it is weird, but with all of the rides DL, it seemed bigger than MK @WDW. You can walk all the way around Big Thunder! However, keep in mine the last time I was there was before the NFL project was completed.

note2001

The problem isn't that a single movie is getting a dedicated land.
The problem is that Toy Story is the one movie getting a dedicated land, a property that Disney has already done to do death. There are already two dedicated attractions at Disney World right now and two similar Toy Story lands built at other Disneylands. On top of that, it appears that there's going to be significant aesthetic overlap with things Disney has done before like Bug's Land and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area, also at Disney World.

Potterland set the bar because it's beautiful and impressive, not because it was all based on one movie.
Toy Story Land v3.0 might be beautiful and impressive, but given what we've seen of this kind of thing in the past, my expectations are low.
This is probably going to be a lot closer to Dino-Rama than Diagon Alley.

Better than what we have now, though. We just have to keep reminding ourselves of that.

toy-story-land.jpg

Agreed.

While I like that DHS is getting attention and all the new attractions being planned, the Toy Story theme still feels overly recycled. Why can't it have something unique from the start? A Monster's Inc land would have been perfect. Step through the closet door in Andy's room near TSMM and into the Monsters dimension.

Oh well, I'm still happy it's getting attention and look forward to the development process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom