Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Younger children that can ride a launch coaster, plus one real attraction with no height limits for kids.
Younger children does not mean preschoolers. Children for which Rock and Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror might be a little too intense for. A longer ride that families can ride together, if they meet the height requirements inherent to a ride of this nature and enjoy roller coaster style rides.

If this is all they are adding for the younger set, then I don't think they have learned their lesson. I don't need kiddie rides, but the park does.
This land will also include TSMM (hopefully with capacity issues fixed), so 3 rides that we know of, 2 with no height limit, one with some sort of height limit. Plus whatever else is all on that concept art. Other attractions of some sort. Food/Merch/M&G/D-zone/Whatever.

Meet and greets only go so far, plus a lot of parents hate them.
I've always been interested in the number of people who truly hate M&Gs for their children. I don't mean anecdotal evidence ("I don't like them"), but the full population of people. Disney has added tons of Meet and Greets over the past few years, and you rarely find one that is not busy. Parents may not like to spend their time in line, but they do like their children's enjoyment of the character at the end. If they did not, they would not stand in them. The parents make a call, does the time spent in this line outweigh my kid's enjoyment of the M&G? If so, they skip it. If not, they stand in line. IMO again, M&Gs are a good addition to a section of a theme park with well loved characters.

vinnya1726

I doubt it, but you never know. I've been told this will all go behind TSMM, but up next to where Animation Courtyard is.

That is exactly how I was figuring it in my mind also. I am thinking they will still be able to keep the old Art of Animation building, with the entrance for Toy Story Land right to the left of it. They are putting the Star Wars Launch Bay in that spot for now and I am sure they are going to want that to be in that spot while the work finishes up on the new area. If they are going to start the new area soon, which we all hope they will they are not going to knock down the Animation Building.

Bairstow

It makes as much sense to make a land out of Toy Story as it does any other property.

I suppose; so long as "being pleasant to look at" isn't part of one's criteria.

toystoryplayland.jpg

PorterRedkey

Younger children does not mean preschoolers. Children for which Rock and Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror might be a little too intense for. A longer ride that families can ride together, if they meet the height requirements inherent to a ride of this nature and enjoy roller coaster style rides.

This land will also include TSMM (hopefully with capacity issues fixed), so 3 rides that we know of, 2 with no height limit, one with some sort of height limit. Plus whatever else is all on that concept art. Other attractions of some sort. Food/Merch/M&G/D-zone/Whatever.

I've always been interested in the number of people who truly hate M&Gs for their children. I don't mean anecdotal evidence ("I don't like them"), but the full population of people. Disney has added tons of Meet and Greets over the past few years, and you rarely find one that is not busy. Parents may not like to spend their time in line, but they do like their children's enjoyment of the character at the end. If they did not, they would not stand in them. The parents make a call, does the time spent in this line outweigh my kid's enjoyment of the M&G? If so, they skip it. If not, they stand in line. IMO again, M&Gs are a good addition to a section of a theme park with well loved characters.
I really don't count TSMM as an addition, even with the added track. It will still be busy. Even with Toy Story land open, DHS will only have 7 rides.
I think the Slinky coaster will be a great first "real" coaster for kids. More thrilling than SDMT or even Big Thunder by the looks of it, since it has 2 real drops. I just think another small ride, specifically one for the kiddies would round out the area nicely.

I don't have kid, so my information is anecdotal, but it comes from both of my sister-in-laws. One of them waited in line 2 hours to meet Anna and Elsa only to have their child leave screaming. That's not the meet and greet's fault, but not fun either. Personally as an adult I like meeting characters, but I don't come to the parks for that.

Mawg

My kids have learned the kind they like and don't like, the ones where you stand in a line and someone is yelling at everyone in line to have their autograph books out and ready, you get your turn, it's a quick high five, sign the book take a picture and your gone they skip now, it's not worth it to them. But the ones where they just grab a bunch a children and more or less play with them, dance with them and interact with them create more lasting memories.

note2001

This expansion will have elevations the other Toy Story areas in other parks don't have. Andy has been busy digging tranches, and mounding up dirt. With good views laid out by imagineering and some great landscaping, this could be spectacular. (As long as it doesn't resemble flat Florida land severely lacking in shade.)

Disneyhead'71

My girls never cared much for m&g, but then again I never shoved my kids in line for that all important photo.

bakntime

It seems as though that if Disney fans are going to have a standard they might as well make it a double.
You're the one that brought up Hulk out of the blue and use the term Pixie Dusters.

You'll also note I said this with regard to Toy Story Land's explanation:

"It's up to the guest to decide if they buy into that or not."

Nothing in my post indicates a double standard, and I gave no opinion nor defense of the Toy Story Coaster. All I did was: 1) Give my opinion on how the Hulk Coaster feels to me, because you specifically brought up the Hulk Coaster. It's ugly and lacks anything to draw me in. The "official" explanation from Universal for what the coaster is and why it's there was never evident to me when I was there (and you'll notice I placed a Disney ride - Primeval Whirl - into that same category of underwhelming theming), and 2) Give Disney's official description for what Toy Story Land is, along with the coaster.

I never claimed whether the Toy Story coaster would look good or bad or otherwise. It's not built yet, I haven't been there, and I don't know. And, all the while, I somehow managed not to call anyone a "Universal Fanboi".

I'm trying to see where the double standard is in my post, and I can't. Care to enlighten me?

Last edited:

TalkingHead

I knew it was only a matter of time before people would start pushing the "all-new" TSL as having three attractions. Pro-tip: it's not a good sign when the area's most advanced ride will be at least ten years old when the land finally opens.

LuckyOswald

As a Kings Island annual pass holder, have to disagree with you there. Now that they lost the paramount rights it's known as "backlot stunt coaster" and the only theming to speak of is a parking structure you go through and a helicopter that "shoots" at you, and doesn't work half the time. I like the ride fine enough, but I wouldn't consider it a nicely themed coaster.
Edit: saw where it said coaster car. Carry on...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom