Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Incomudro

I'm ok with single IP lands. And TS is a great IP. The attractions here are in the ok-good range.

While not Potter, this will be a perfectly acceptable addition IMHO.

Not a big fan of the thematic style, it reminds me a little of Springfield. But no real complaints from me.
Yes, Disney's answer if you will to Potter is Star Wars.

NearTheEars

"It's supposed to be cheap" should never be uttered as the basis of a premier story experience. The idea of a coaster playset is just a silly rationalization that can be used to justify any decision. When any decision is in theme there really is not a strong theme.

So you would rather have a coaster in a toy themed land not be themed as a toy? I don't follow.

I don't think it will look cheap at all.

The other two Toy Story lands however ...

LaunchPadMcQuack

This is really exciting news. I am looking forward to more details coming out. I would have preferred it to be a Pixar Land vs just Toy Story since our children are really into the other Pixar films as well.

Mawg

My guess is TSL starts construction in earnest on Oct. 3rd and is finished Spring 2017. They should be able to get this one done in 18 month.
I agree, this is not a difficult build. No rock work, majority of theming can be built off site and dropped into place. The rollercoaster is a pretty standard roller coaster with the majority of theming coming from props. Flat rides never take them that long to complete. I'm sure it's why this was chosen as it can be done quickly and start to solve some of the parks problems. This will be completed just after Avatar.

CinematicFusion

Oh wow, yet another clone you can find in an existing Disney park. Great job Iger!
Avatar Land, Cars Land, Treasure trove, Star Wars land....yes cloned at WDW and Disneyland. I wouldn't call these clones.

Yes things get cloned like splash mountain, space mountain, haunted mansion. Is what it is.

Disneyhead'71

I agree, this is not a difficult build. No rock work, majority of theming can be built off site and dropped into place. The rollercoaster is a pretty standard roller coaster with the majority of theming coming from props. Flat rides never take them that long to complete. I'm sure it's why this was chosen as it can be done quickly and start to solve some of the parks problems. This will be completed just after Avatar.
Maybe before.

NearTheEars

I'm ok with single IP lands. And TS is a great IP. The attractions here are in the ok-good range.

While not Potter, this will be a perfectly acceptable addition IMHO.

Not a big fan of the thematic style, it reminds me a little of Springfield. But no real complaints from me.

That I agree with. I like Springfield, but wish maybe they took more of a realistic approach to its theming instead of cartoony.

But I guess it is a cartoon afterall.

I think animated recreations come off better in a dark ride experience.

Mawg

This is my guess for time line for the new Toy Story land
Jan 1 - demolition starts (4 months), props start being built offsite
May 1st - footings for coaster poured
June 1st - Underground work for electrical and water
August 1st - Foundations for flat ride and structures poured
Nov 1st - Vertical construction starts.
Feb 1st - theming starting ( a lot of paint)
April 1st - Props start being dropped
May 1st - Paths poured and landscaping
July 1st 2017 - Land opens.

wdwgreek

Yeah, growing up stinks, and there are no lawyers in Andy's play time are there? :) You still have time to change your major: I believe 'One Eyed Bart' may be a good direction to go and still stay approximately in the same field (albeit on the other side of the law.)
I already enrolled in a law school, so I feel like there's no turning back now...

wdwgreek

This is my guess for time line for the new Toy Story land
Jan 1 - demolition starts (4 months), props start being built offsite
May 1st - footings for coaster poured
June 1st - Underground work for electrical and water
August 1st - Foundations for flat ride and structures poured
Nov 1st - Vertical construction starts.
Feb 1st - theming starting ( a lot of paint)
April 1st - Props start being dropped
May 1st - Paths poured and landscaping
July 1st 2017 - Land opens.
What is sad is in the 9 months backlot tour has been closed they haven't taken the opportunity to begin the prop removal.

Mawg

What is sad is in the 9 months backlot tour has been closed they haven't taken the opportunity to begin the prop removal.
Yeah, they could have started demolition today if they had started sooner, or at the very least kept the backlot open longer.

ProjectXBlog

That I agree with. I like Springfield, but wish maybe they took more of a realistic approach to its theming instead of cartoony.
real-simpsons.png

PorterRedkey

Right. I'm not underwhelmed at all. A bug's land isn't awful, in my opinion. It's some of the best theming in DCA and the rides are fun for children and can be fun for adults. It's just they could have chosen something MUCH better to theme a land to.

It's funny, but I spent a lot of time in A Bug's land at DCA and I thought the theming was really fun. Even if we were not going to ride anything there it was a short cut to Carsland and ToT. We found the single 4-leaf clover and rode all of the "kiddie" rides. I love the benches made of the used Popsicle sticks. I hope Toy Story land at least includes some of the subtle theming A Bug's land includes.

Californian Elitist

It's funny, but I spent a lot of time in A Bug's land at DCA and I thought the theming was really fun. Even if we were not going to ride anything there it was a short cut to Carsland and ToT. We found the single 4-leaf clover and rode all of the "kiddie" rides. I love the benches made of the used Popsicle sticks. I hope Toy Story land at least includes some of the subtle theming A Bug's land includes.

I didn't know your DLR trip passed already. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

Yes, a bug's land has some really cool theming. You've already mentioned a few. I also like the bathrooms that look like Kleenex boxes. I think when we complain about a bug's land, we don't really complain about theming, but the choice of theming and the fact that it's all kiddie rides. I tend to complain about the former.

PorterRedkey

I didn't know your DLR trip passed already. Hope you enjoyed yourself!

Yes, a bug's land has some really cool theming. You've already mentioned a few. I also like the bathrooms that look like Kleenex boxes. I think when we complain about a bug's land, we don't really complain about theming, but the choice of theming and the fact that it's all kiddie rides. I tend to complain about the former.

Had a great time and I can't wait to go back! RSR was incredible as advertised. I can't believe how much more thrilling it is than Test track, even if TT goes faster. I love the hills! Indy was my favorite though. Splash mountain was having some issues with their animatronics. Dead ducks on the riverboat scene was a little depressing.

I can't image DCA before the refurb as it didn't seem as "Disney" and all the other parks I have visited, but at least the rides were fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom