Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Bocabear

I think you really summed it up best. Not impressed but not exactly underwhelmed with the land either. As long as it doesn't end up like A Bug's Land (which is awful) I think it will be okay.
But that is just it...they have been retooling the "Bugs Land" concept again and again... I know Giant christmas lights a big toys... it just is not that interesting anymore...

Bocabear

Very true, comparing it to cars land was a mistake.
I have girls age 3 1/2, they should enjoy this land and I'll enjoy it with them. Would I care about the land if I Didn't have kids? No....but I would be interested in the coaster development. That ride has potential.
your girls will be 9 or 10 by the time any of this opens...and probably past the age that thinks this will be amazing...

Mouse_Trap

I agree except on the theming fact. I personally think the track looks like a toy track. Also this theme is more complex to make it fully themed, while Grizzly is actually a train and easy to theme. And it looks like a world of toys, which it is supposed to be so I think they are going to do a pretty good job.

By that addage you presumably think Chester & Hesters is prefect to, because that is exactly like a roadside carnival and thus matches it theme.

So far, I'd rate this announcement as 3/10 or a D-.
Very disappointing. They have the opportunity to do something mind blowing, but yet again they turn the dial down to absolute minimum and people lap it up.

Obviously we will wait and see, but with the strong rumours that Nintendo will be opening up the road at Universal in 2017 (thus probably before this) and hearing about the rumoured additions that will bring; it's clear where the smart people will be heading.

DinoInstitute

Will the coaster train cabs "slink" in expansion and contraction to each other as the coaster accelerates and slows down? If so, I could see this adding a really fun factor to this ride as well as making it a unique experience.

Again, sorry if this has already been discussed. So much info to take in!
That would actually be really cool :D
I could see an effect like that working on the launch in the middle of the ride- the front could launch, then the back slings forward, and so on...

I don't know if it will actually do this, I haven't heard anything, but think the video they showed at the announcement made it seem like it had the seven dwarfs swinging.

DinoInstitute

By that addage you presumably think Chester & Hesters is prefect to, because that is exactly like a roadside carnival and thus matches it theme.

Very disappointing. They have the opportunity to do something mind blowing, but yet again they turn the dial down to absolute minimum and people lap it up.

Obviously we will wait and see, but with the strong rumours that Nintendo will be opening up the road at Universal in 2017 (thus probably before this) and hearing about the rumoured additions that will bring; it's clear where the smart people will be heading.
I think part of why people are excited and not disappointed about this is because it shows that work is being done here. Yes, we know this isn't the very best DHS is going to bring, but it's the family fun people eaters that are needed. And this announcement shows that they are really putting in the effort, originality, and creativity into this park, so just imagine what's coming soon!

Saying that though, I still think this is quite a cool addition. :D.

Also, this will likely open in 2017. As will Pandora. So I don't see why that will be a bad year for Disney.

DinoInstitute

Looks exactly like a double version of the MK teacups, that you can find a version of in just about every park anywhere.
Nope. As mentioned, it's the maters junkyard jamboree tech. You can see in the concept art the aliens on their flying saucers pulling guests, just like the cow-tractors do in MJJ. :)
image.jpg

(Sorry this isn't the best picture of this art)

BaconPancakes

Isn't that PR spin similar to why DAKs Dinoland USA looks cheap too? Now if it was located in Andys bedroom instead....

I'm sure the coaster will be very nice. I just hate marketing trying to persuade us to believe their excuses.

And I did that without mentioning any other company or brand too!
Exactly! All this is is another "Chester & Hester land" with Toy Story "theming". Can't say I'm surprised that they would go the cheap route once again. Fool me once...

Mike S

Obviously we will wait and see, but with the strong rumours that Nintendo will be opening up the road at Universal in 2018 (thus probably before this) and hearing about the rumoured additions that will bring; it's clear where the smart people will be heading.
Fixed. I can't see Nintendo opening before Toy Story. Star Wars? Absolutely.

CinematicFusion

your girls will be 9 or 10 by the time any of this opens...and probably past the age that thinks this will be amazing...

True, they will be 7 in 2019 and 8 in 2020. I don't think I said amazing for toy story land...amazing for Star Wars.
I think they will enjoy toy story land and the coaster has the potential to be great to an 8 year old. Haven't had coffee yet so I can't remember anything I said yesterday. :)

Time moves fast, you only have a few years with your kids. Make the best of it and enjoy the ride.

durangojim

I'm sorry for asking but I wasn't able to go through all 36 pages of the thread, does anyone have an overlay on google maps of what area of land this will encompass? I'm finding it hard to figure out by the concept art.

Incomudro

Oh look, a big batch of bare steel coaster track.

How are the Pixie Dusters, that take one look at Hulk and proudly proclaim they don't need to go to Universal because they can get that at Six Flags, justifying this?
Got to be honest with you, I don't like the idea of Disney doing a bare metal coaster either.
That's the sort of thing that "Disney Doesn't do" and sets Disney apart.
Just look at 7 Dwarfs, or Everest.
I'll withhold a bit of judgement on the Slinky Dog coaster 'till I see how much theming goes into it.
But yes, at a glance it's not something I'm excited about.
Kind of just looks like a dogs head mounted on the front of a coaster right now, like those cateripillar-headed coasters from days of 'yore.
I'm still very happy about the Toy Story expansion, and coupled with Star Wars - and possibly more, it's great news.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

And given the story of why Disney got into the theme park business, "I like it because my kids will like it" is not a ringing endorsement. Vicarious enjoyment is not supposed to be what makes the parks enjoyable.
I find 7DMT to be fun. Wish it was longer like Slinky seems to be, but I think it's fun.

Plenty of adults like Mater.

This is not A Bug's Land.

With all that extra land left over their is a 99% they will be expanding with a new land or new rides! Hope it's a Cars Land! And I think Toy Story land looks amazing I don't see why everyone is complaining!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom