Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

I'm still trying to gather all my thoughts on the Star Wars lands, but this was one of my first reactions too.

It's premature to say what the land or even Episode VII itself will include, but it's hard to imagine a Star Wars Land without Darth Vader, Tatooine, or Yoda. Beyond just being bold, it seems even foolish to exclude those elements regardless of how successful the new movie is. They're so central and iconic to the franchise as a whole, which the new movie is just a small part of.

It'd be as if Universal decided to build their first Harry Potter-themed land completely after the upcoming Newt Scamander movies, completely ignoring Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and Harry himself. Even if the movies are good, they'd be excluding a huge portion of that universe.

I'm hoping the rumors of a cantina restaurant are true, meaning we might get a "blended" land... maybe primarily based on one of the new planets but with elements of the others mixed in.
Those classic characters will certainly be around and, if we keep Star Tours, highlighted in one of the marquis attractions. It's hard to do blended and "real" though. It's an issue I have with WWoHP from time to time--hints are given regarding the timing of a certain attraction and yet there are characters present that should be dead.

Fox&Hound

I'm still trying to gather all my thoughts on the Star Wars lands, but this was one of my first reactions too.

It's premature to say what the land or even Episode VII itself will include, but it's hard to imagine a Star Wars Land without Darth Vader, Tatooine, or Yoda. Beyond just being bold, it seems even foolish to exclude those elements regardless of how successful the new movie is. They're so central and iconic to the franchise as a whole, which the new movie is just a small part of.

It'd be as if Universal decided to build their first Harry Potter-themed land completely after the upcoming Newt Scamander movies, completely ignoring Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and Harry himself. Even if the movies are good, they'd be excluding a huge portion of that universe.

I'm hoping the rumors of a cantina restaurant are true, meaning we might get a "blended" land... maybe primarily based on one of the new planets but with elements of the others mixed in.

Why do we think they won't have parts of the original movies? Wasn't there talk originally of a enhanced jedi academy with a Yoda AA and where kids fight Darth Vader???? There's no way the will only focus on the new movies, right?

Fox&Hound

So was there any information given to think this is going to be any more than Toy Story Carnyland?

Aka 3 el-chepo off the shelf rides that could have come straight from the latest travelling carnival that closed down?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them do something amazing. I just have this feeling they won't.

Ummm maybe this was already answered but did you see the announcement? This is much more than off the shelf carnival rides. Check out the concept art and the video of the announcements. These are unique rides coming to DHS.

Fox&Hound

This event has consumed most of my weekend. I have been listening to periscope feeds, podcasts, reading forums, etc. My family is worried about me.

Anyway, I have heard some interesting things concerning DHS. I have heard that a version of Cars Land is going to be added eventually. Those that have wondered about the path that splits up by the Buzz side of this land, well, it apparently is going to lead to a DHS version of CL. The other thing that was said is that there is a consideration for a third Pixar land below the Woody side of TSL. Monsters Inc. was mentioned.

I tend to agree with Steve in that there is more coming. Now hearing what I have heard makes me think that more.

If I was a betting man, I would argue we will get an enclosed Radiator Springs Racer-type ride and Flo's restaurant back where the Backlot used to be. The synergy is too good to pass up with a new cars movie coming out. We have the Star Wars films and now we're getting Star Wars land. We have Toy Story 4- Toy Story Land. But, what about the Cars presence....Just wait, there's more to come =)

I really hope these new areas bring more dining options- I've always felt like that was lacking at DHS in my very humble opinion...

Cmdr_Crimson

Now if they have creative food & drinks......Could we see Buzz Lightbeer for the adults in TSL..
5522305161_e276d2751b_o.jpg

From Flickriver
6860447_15235966_lz.jpg

Incomudro

There really aren't any family attractions whatsoever at the studios. Its a major void. This should fill that. Granted, not quite my cup of tea but horribly needed.
When I first took my boys to HS, they were 6 years old and almost completely did not get it.
They liked Indiana Jones, and the car stunt show, I don't think Toy Story Mania was open yet, and I was only able to get one of them on Tower of Terror. I do think the whole family rode RnR.
So, yes at that age a Toy Story themed land would have been a big hit.

Timothy_Q

I agree with what people are saying about Toy Story not being a location-based movie.

The one location though that could be extremely interesting, they aren't building.
And that is Pizza Planet.
They could even make a lot of money out of it through the current trend of specialty drinks and food.

Bairstow

LOL @ Kathy Mangum saying it would be on the level of Cars Land. That's not physically possible. The "world" of Toy Story - aka Andy's backyard - isn't an environment anyone wants to explore. Big grass and oversized toy props doesn't make for a compelling environment. Radiator Springs is a compelling environment with the Cadillac Range looming over it. This is in NO way comparable. I'm sure they won't skimp on theming - the problem is that there's nothing to theme. It's a weak, weak theme. The rides will be fine - Buzz's Mater ride and the coaster look perfectly nice. But the Toy Story theme isn't a transporting one and it's not an environment anyone is pining to explore, unlike Cars/Star Wars/Harry Potter.

I wish they'd just be honest rather than try to BS stuff to the fans. The audience's tepid response to the announcement at D23 was telling - don't try to tell us it's some Cars Land-level thing when it's clearly not. It's a family land with a couple family rides. Great, that's fine - just don't sell it as something it ain't. We can tell the difference.

Maybe the reason Mangum brought up Carsland is because Carsland was her first big rodeo as lead.
ToyStoryLand Orlando will be her first major followup project.

lazyboy97o

Why is it that 7 years after it's debut the ride is still not being referred to by it's actual name even by Disney's Marketing department. It's Toy Story MIDWAY Mania!
Because theme in a theme park is stupid! They're just supposed to be for kids to see their movies and cry that they love characters so much.

Daveeeeed

I agree except on the theming fact. I personally think the track looks like a toy track. Also this theme is more complex to make it fully themed, while Grizzly is actually a train and easy to theme. And it looks like a world of toys, which it is supposed to be so I think they are going to do a pretty good job.
I agree I think this land was a good move on Disney's part because the roller coaster will be a "naked" and cheaper than a "mountain attraction," but it fits with he overall theme of the land so it works as it's own, and as a land to accomodate the lines for Star Wars, and other new attractions, and shows they will have (I guarantee they are not done yet.)

Daveeeeed

1. They are done for now with Toy Story, because Toy Story has already an E-ticket here 2. I dont think this is the end of the announcements for Pixar rides, I say just wait, there is just too much unclear and there is still so much land, that it just cant be over yet.
Yup. There will be more rides and shows, like the already confirmed unknown show, or the heavily rumored trolley. Name change will also probably be announced at the annual shareholders meeting in first quarter 2016. Rest assured there will more than likely be a larger Pixar presence in the park as well as probably a behind the scenes movie ride to still keep it's old theme still a bit present. Can't wait for it! Sad part is it will not be before 2021 at the soonest before all this is done :D

Daveeeeed

What we need is new, immersive and quality shows.... not old animation and a shown that really shows its age. If they did anything at least a new show - not the same old tired bore we have now!
Sorry should've been more clear. I just meant to still have a The Little Mermaid themed show somewhere in WDW still. Outdated or not it was still beautiful, but let us hope they will add an updated one so where else. I do hope they add newer properties too, but The Little Mermaid is what saved Walt Disney Animation & MK really could use a show.

Daveeeeed

They are fairly similar. It might just be Paris' climate doesn't lend itself well to the look. Florida is at least tropical.

There is a je ne sais quois with Hong Kong's version.

I have a good feeling Florida's will actually be well received outside of the theme park snobs, especially considering all three of its attractions are more compelling than HKDL/WDS.
I am a MEGA DISNEY FAN and am here to tell you that this land will not be as good as cars land (even though they say it is,) but it really is used as a capacity land instead which for that reason I think this land will rock. The roller coaster is a "naked" type, but how else were they going to do this and also it seems more like a toy you could buy so the theme works best. I guess they could make it look like the red track goes in the Tree limbs lol, but it will serve it's purpose well, as a cheaper land with good quality theming while making itself not a big budget land. And just an FWI I have seen Toy Story Playland and I hate to be harsh, but it honestly sucked; not to mention the awful layout. RC Racer is just a cheap plain fun ride, and that is the only reason I would want it coming as a future ride, my dream though is an Indoor Pizza Planet ride :D (other stuff not get announced will be coming too like at least another show and probably 2-3 new rides. Keeping fingers crossed for a true all-age dark ride that is state of the art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom