Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Uncle Lupe

At first glance the Slinky coaster looks like a smaller Cheetah Hunt with Dwarf train swing.

I know I haven't been on here much but how did I miss Toy Story expansion rumors? Saw plenty of speculation on Star Wars or Cars but not Toy Story.

NearTheEars

Oh look, a big batch of bare steel coaster track.

How are the Pixie Dusters, that take one look at Hulk and proudly proclaim they don't need to go to Universal because they can get that at Six Flags, justifying this?

You will likely say "so what" but if you look closely at the concept art it appears that there are random pieces of track laying around as if the track itself is a toy set that was put together.

I have nothing against the Hulk. It's tough to theme a big, thrill ride coaster like that. I wouldn't expect them too. And it's certainly popular, so I guess the majority of regular parkgoers don't mind either.

bakntime

How are the Pixie Dusters, that take one look at Hulk and proudly proclaim they don't need to go to Universal because they can get that at Six Flags, justifying this?
Using the term Pixie Dusters makes you sound a bit immature about this whole thing. That kind of condescending attitude isn't going to win you any debates, and it certainly doesn't make you sound any smarter. In fact, you come off sounding overly defensive when you resort to using terms like Pixie Dusters, as if you know that Hulk Coaster feels like it belongs in a Six Flags park. And while I've never said that I don't need to go to Universal (both parks are great), Hulk does feel to me like it's been plucked straight out of a Six Flags. Same for Rip Ride Rockit. Neither of them do a very good job of theming to make them feel unique (same goes for Primeval Whirl @ AK, but I suppose it fits the conceit of Chester and Hester's roadside carnival). Hulk has no story, nothing to draw you in and make you feel like there's a reason for this thing being here. I like the coaster, but it's ugly and the queue and the area around the coaster are not very memorable. Dragon Challenge fares better thanks to the queue and setting.

NearTheEars explained the premise of the Toy Story coaster, which was covered in the press info and yesterday's presentations. The idea is that you've been shrunk down to the size of a toy. All of Toy Story Land at DHS is supposed to be Andy's back yard, and he's set up all his toys and play sets, including a toy roller coaster set, but instead of using the train that came with it he's using Slinky Dog as the train. It's up to the guest to decide if they buy into that or not.

Disneyhead'71

Using the term Pixie Dusters makes you sound a bit immature about this whole thing. That kind of condescending attitude isn't going to win you any debates, and it certainly doesn't make you sound any smarter. In fact, you come off sounding overly defensive when you resort to using terms like Pixie Dusters, as if you know that Hulk Coaster feels like it belongs in a Six Flags park. And while I've never said that I don't need to go to Universal (both parks are great), Hulk does feel to me like it's been plucked straight out of a Six Flags. Same for Rip Ride Rockit. Neither of them do a very good job of theming to make them feel unique (same goes for Primeval Whirl @ AK, but I suppose it fits the conceit of Chester and Hester's roadside carnival). Hulk has no story, nothing to draw you in and make you feel like there's a reason for this thing being here. I like the coaster, but it's ugly and the queue and the area around the coaster are not very memorable. Dragon Challenge fares better thanks to the queue and setting.

NearTheEars explained the premise of the Toy Story coaster, which was covered in the press info and yesterday's presentations. The idea is that you've been shrunk down to the size of a toy. All of Toy Story Land at DHS is supposed to be Andy's back yard, and he's set up all his toys and play sets, including a toy roller coaster set, but instead of using the train that came with it he's using Slinky Dog as the train. It's up to the guest to decide if they buy into that or not.
It seems as though that if Disney fans are going to have a standard they might as well make it a double.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The idea is that you've been shrunk down to the size of a toy. All of Toy Story Land at DHS is supposed to be Andy's back yard, and he's set up all his toys and play sets, including a toy roller coaster set, but instead of using the train that came with it he's using Slinky Dog as the train..
Isn't that PR spin similar to why DAKs Dinoland USA looks cheap too? Now if it was located in Andys bedroom instead....

I'm sure the coaster will be very nice. I just hate marketing trying to persuade us to believe their excuses.

And I did that without mentioning any other company or brand too!

Shaman

Isn't that PR spin similar to why DAKs Dinoland USA looks cheap too? Now if it was located in Andys bedroom instead....

I'm sure the coaster will be very nice. I just hate marketing trying to persuade us to believe their excuses.

And I did that without mentioning any other company or brand too!

I agree. These companies are really good with P&R and Marketing.

Even the myth of Walt himself is/was something the company nurtured for a while. He was used to market the Disney difference. It did it's job. Walt is now a brand. One often used against the company's current strategies.

I'm assuming they went with Toys because of the popular attraction nearby. I'm not impressed by the concept art...only because there were not more smaller rides announced for this. There may still be announcements. For this to work there has to be more. The art seems to imply there is....Regardless, I suppose any news is good news.

I'd prefer Monsters Inc and Incredibles over Toys and Cars.

Mike S

The only bare steel coaster I can't stand is Dragon Challage. Freakin' eyesore on the otherwise amazing Hogsmeade. Hulk and Rockit don't bother me as much, barely at all in fact.

ToTBellHop

The only bare steel coaster I can't stand is Dragon Challage. Freakin' eyesore on the otherwise amazing Hogsmeade. Hulk and Rockit don't bother me as much, barely at all in fact.
Because in dragons, it detracts from the theme. It's not supposed to be a coaster. This is the reason the exposed Slinky coaster doesn't offend me. It's supposed to be a coaster.

P_Radden

Sry if already been asked/discussed:

Does anyone know if they Slinky Dog Coaster is an originally designed roller coaster, or is it a re-theme of an "off the shelf" roller coaster?

P_Radden

It appears to be custom.

Will the coaster train cabs "slink" in expansion and contraction to each other as the coaster accelerates and slows down? If so, I could see this adding a really fun factor to this ride as well as making it a unique experience.

Again, sorry if this has already been discussed. So much info to take in!

Marlins1

The coaster looks really fun and many Pixie Dusters are not snobs about roller coaster track - I actually love the site of it. Rip Ride Rockit is my favorite ride in Universal and Cheetah Hunt is my new favorite ride in the state. For overall vacation experience my choice is WDW but more rides are needed in HS and this is a good start IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom