Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

eddie104

TSL could definitely use another ride or two and shade. But overall I don’t mind the aesthetic of it as it captures the feel they were going for. It’s not the best land Disney has created but it could be worse.

doctornick

And if I like it, I like it. We both win.

(and still doesnt explain why the design of toy store is so offensive)

I think the store itself is fine. But it should have a large obvious entrance/exit leading to the main land so the store could function as both the “exit through the gift shop” for TSMM and retail/indoor space for the land which is severely lacking those things.

mysto

1659287323798.png

co10064

Premium Member
I really love Toy Story Land, but I can acknowledge it has more than a few design flaws.

One thing I haven't seen anyone discuss is the fact the the land was designed with TSMM as its headliner. I assume this was because of TSMM's high demand prior to the opening of Toy Story Land as a whole. But because Slinky is new and has less capacity (I think?), it seems to be more popular and harder to get on, despite having a height requirement.

TSMM has a huge queue—one that I have never seen filled (even on the land's opening weekend and two different New Year's Eve weekends). Seems like some of the unused queue space could be converted to retail, expanded seating for Woody's Lunch Box, or shaded M&Gs.

lazyboy97o

I really love Toy Story Land, but I can acknowledge it has more than a few design flaws.

One thing I haven't seen anyone discuss is the fact the the land was designed with TSMM as its headliner. I assume this was because of TSMM's high demand prior to the opening of Toy Story Land as a whole. But because Slinky is new and has less capacity (I think?), it seems to be more popular and harder to get on, despite having a height requirement.

TSMM has a huge queue—one that I have never seen filled (even on the land's opening weekend and two different New Year's Eve weekends). Seems like some of the unused queue space could be converted to retail, expanded seating for Woody's Lunch Box, or shaded M&Gs.
Queues are designed to accommodate a certain amount of time. How big a set amount of time of queue space is changes based on the capacity of an attraction with higher capacity attractions needing more space.

UNCgolf

Honestly my biggest surprise about the land is that there was no indoor store nor indoor M&Gs space.

This is one of the reasons it's such a poorly designed land. There are other places at Disney that have 3-4x as much to do (multiple shops restaurants, and more attractions) in the same amount of space -- Galaxy's Edge next door actually isn't that much bigger than TSL (off the top of my head I think it's only 15-20% bigger). It's crazy that they only put a food kiosk and three attractions (one of which was preexisting) in that massive footprint.

Poseidon Quest

I am definitely not an "expert" like others on this board or owner's of this site so I can't really comment on how cheap it is.

I would definitely check out the Toy Story Hotel that just opened in Tokyo. The level of thought and detail that went into it reveals the stark difference between just filling out space like TSL was meant to do and actually treating a property with creative care.

G00fyDad

I would definitely check out the Toy Story Hotel that just opened in Tokyo. The level of thought and detail that went into it reveals the stark difference between just filling out space like TSL was meant to do and actually treating a property with creative care.

#1 - Yeah. No thanks. It's a hard pass for me.
#2 - You are comparing a hotel to a theme park land. Apples to oranges.

Poseidon Quest

🤨 That hideous thing should not be used as a positive example.

The exterior perhaps, but I attribute that to the nature of Tokyo and building in a city. The interior really shines with incredible attention to detail.

#1 - Yeah. No thanks. It's a hard pass for me.
#2 - You are comparing a hotel to a theme park land. Apples to oranges.

I'm comparing themed spaces that share the same IP. It's a pretty apt comparison. I'm assuming you know nothing about the hotel if you don't recognize the discrepancy in theming quality between the two locations.

G00fyDad

The exterior perhaps, but I attribute that to the nature of Tokyo and building in a city. The interior really shines with incredible attention to detail.

I'm comparing themed spaces that share the same IP. It's a pretty apt comparison. I'm assuming you know nothing about the hotel if you don't recognize the discrepancy in theming quality between the two locations.

Take it easy. I saw the hotel you mentioned. It. Is. A. Hotel. Yes. there is a lot of detail but it is still themed like a hotel for kids without the impression that you are in that world as tall as the toys Andy is playing with. It is nothing more than interior design for children. The Toy Story Land (while admittedly is lacking in areas) is not a hotel and at least attempts to draw you into the TS world.

G00fyDad

Toy Story Land is themed well, but horribly designed from a practical perspective. The lack of shade, surprisingly lack of a gift shop and the missed potential to add an additional flat ride or two.
I've said it before but they really dropped the ball on having an Al's Toy Barn in here. It could have been a repurposed Little Tykes barn playhouse with a cut/torn piece of cardboard with crayon saying Al's Toy Barn above the doors.

Poseidon Quest

Take it easy. I saw the hotel you mentioned. It. Is. A. Hotel. Yes. there is a lot of detail but it is still themed like a hotel for kids without the impression that you are in that world as tall as the toys Andy is playing with. It is nothing more than interior design for children. The Toy Story Land (while admittedly is lacking in areas) is not a hotel and at least attempts to draw you into the TS world.

I don't see how it being a hotel makes an difference in this conversation. If the principals of theming that went into the hotel were applied to TSL, the result would be completely different.

Poseidon Quest

I know. It's okay.

I still have yet to see you make any compelling reason as to why it being a hotel has any impact on discrepancies in theming design. You can sit there and be smug about "how I'm not getting it" or whatever floats your boat, but it being a hotel doesn't have any impact on my point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom