Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Walt d

i love the theming of midway mania so this will be fun to walk through!
Oh’ this is so cool it needs a big statue of the record player with bull’s-eye and Jesse on it outside. So glad that i have the wdcc Record player, with bull”s eye and Jesse on it, cant what to shop here!

eddie104

I for one think they did a fantastic job and it’s a big upgrade from the previous iteration.

That version was truly a disgrace and not up to Disney standards.

This one truly matches the quality of other shops around the parks.

co10064

Premium Member
8C6752B9-417A-48F4-981B-43512706715A.jpeg

Is this the same door that was the old exit of the show building directly onto the long outdoor path back to Toy Story Land?

I too am still confused as to how this gift shop is configured within the current show building.

Is it the exact same space as the old gift shop, but now with more theming? Did they physically expand the show building?

gerarar

Premium Member
View attachment 655083

Is this the same door that was the old exit of the show building directly onto the long outdoor path back to Toy Story Land?

I too am still confused as to how this gift shop is configured within the current show building.

Is it the exact same space as the old gift shop, but now with more theming? Did they physically expand the show building?
The gift shop itself was expanded from the previous iteration.

You previously had the option to bypass the gift shop on the right and head straight for the outdoor exit, as seen here.
org_dsc08180-1068x712.jpg

Now that the gift shop's area has been expanded and the bypass hallway removed, all guests are now directed through the shop.
jessies-trading-post-toy-story-mania-gift-shop-9-1068x712.jpg

The gift shop's exit also has been "simplified" in which it heads straight outside where the Woody mural is.
Screenshot_20220723-043921_YouTube.jpg

Previously, you had to go into the bypass hallway and then go through the double doors that lead outside. Check this video here:

So no, the actual ride building was not expanded, but existing walls were knocked down and the square footage of the gift shop did increase (I wanna say it expanded by about a third judging from the new space utilized). The exit door is the same that leads to outside path, it's just been connected to the gift shop now.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Its insane they still dont want to build a proper store in this land. Toy Story has so much fun merch.
What's even more insane is that they never created a retail shop that sold all the toys and games you see on the ride.

You know that every Boomer and Millennial would buy up all those 'old fashioned' games of their childhood for their children and grandchildren.

They could even have computer screens to select the games and have them delivered to their homes.

Imagine getting home from a Disney vacation and there's a box waiting for you filled with dominoes, Chutes and Ladders, checker set, an Old Maid deck, Chinese checker, Kinex, etc...

(...and regretting it.)

Smiley/OCD

What's even more insane is that they never created a retail shop that sold all the toys and games you see on the ride.

You know that every Boomer and Millennial would buy up all those 'old fashioned' games of their childhood for their children and grandchildren.

They could even have computer screens to select the games and have them delivered to their homes.

Imagine getting home from a Disney vacation and there's a box waiting for you filled with dominoes, Chutes and Ladders, checker set, an Old Maid deck, Chinese checker, Kinex, etc...

(...and regretting it.)
And Cootie!!

dreday3

I dont understand the hate for this.

Isn't it supposed to resemble a cardboard playset back from the "old days"? Something that you actually built from the box the toy came from?
I think it really captures the spirit of toys from then.

What's embarrassing?

Disney hate is reaching such a fever pitch that it's about to be secretly cool to like them again.

UNCgolf

I dont understand the hate for this.

Isn't it supposed to resemble a cardboard playset back from the "old days"? Something that you actually built from the box the toy came from?
I think it really captures the spirit of toys from then.

What's embarrassing?

Disney hate is reaching such a fever pitch that it's about to be secretly cool to like them again.

It's a huge improvement over what was there before, and it fits the rest of the TSL aesthetic.

So I guess it's less an issue with the store itself and more one of the underlying problems with TSL as a whole, which generally looks like it was done as cheaply as possible.

dreday3

It's a huge improvement over what was there before, and it fits the rest of the TSL aesthetic.

So I guess it's less an issue with the store itself and more one of the underlying problems with TSL as a whole, which generally looks like it was done as cheaply as possible.

I am definitely not an "expert" like others on this board or owner's of this site so I can't really comment on how cheap it is.

I can say as a Disney Parks fan for 40 years, I like Toy Story Land. Outside of being hot (no shade) I think they designed a great spot. Lots of detail, true to theme and we actually really enjoy Alien Swirling Saucers!

Same with Galaxy's Edge. While I wish it was my era of Star Wars and had one more ride, they hit it out of the ballpark with the aesthetic and design.

But I am a mere mortal with my opinions.😉

Smiley/OCD

And they STILL haven’t addressed the fact that there is no shade at all in that land…that’s actually my biggest beef…

UNCgolf

I am definitely not an "expert" like others on this board or owner's of this site so I can't really comment on how cheap it is.

I can say as a Disney Parks fan for 40 years, I like Toy Story Land. Outside of being hot (no shade) I think they designed a great spot. Lots of detail, true to theme and we actually really enjoy Alien Swirling Saucers!

Same with Galaxy's Edge. While I wish it was my era of Star Wars and had one more ride, they hit it out of the ballpark with the aesthetic and design.

But I am a mere mortal with my opinions.😉

I'm definitely not an expert compared to others here either -- TSL just looks cheap to me. It looks like something at a regional park instead of something at Disney.

I think Galaxy's Edge is 10000x better than TSL in terms of overall design/aesthetic. I think there are still issues there, but a lot of it is due to a lack of entertainment/streetmosphere that they could potentially put in at some point.

J4546

If they added some massive scaled potted plants in the center, it would give a lot of shade and also kinda breakup the buzz space section and the woody western section . Also retheme woody lunchbox to lightyear lunchbox to keep with seperate theme imo

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom