Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

mm52200

I was holding out hope that after a solid month of Instagrammers and Park Blogs/Press taking shots of the land, they’d let Disney Horticulture come in and find space for three or four more mature oaks but alas that hope is dwindling. I know there are always slight revisions/tweaks to new lands after the first couple months (nothing drastic) after reading Guest Service surveys, but have we seen any tweaks other than the flimsy fencing being reinforced?
These things take time unfortunately and one month isn’t much time. However though, there’s a lot of greenery in the land just none of it positioned to create shade of any kind.

Kman101

Just a warning but this is a really long post. I've been sick and had far too much time to think about these things :joyfull:

I know this is armchairing things, but man, they really could and should have done this much better. The bones are there for a decent land. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I get what they were trying to go for. Just for many it's hard to enjoy plastic figures, it screams cheap and All Star/Pop Century. I know also that many love that. It's hard to make everyone happy, but they can and they often choose not to. They could have made this land a really satisfying glimpse into the world of toys (not JUST "Andy's Backyard", which should have been a jumping off point into the world of Woody, Buzz and their friends, literally coming to life and having things going on around you; they almost accomplish this with Slinky Dog but the setup is poor, it's just a land with a coaster loosely themed to Andy's Backyard)

And instead of an oversized Woody figure greeting you, remove him, put him in the Roundup area on Bullseye, like in the original concept art, in the middle of his Roundup area. (Of course I don't think the oversized figures of Buzz or Woody are necessary but they can be used effectively)

You walk in and on the left is an Al's Toy Barn shop (Shanghai has one), keep Mania (or switch it with my idea for Woody's Roundup, it would be a very easy switch, the midway game screens could easily be a puppet theater box/screen) and it works attached as a midway game to Al's (which is an easy setup, he's watching Woody's Roundup and we venture into the world of it, like the new Mickey ride; but no instead we shoot carnival games, which works far better on Pixar Pier and Toyville Trolley Park). And to tie it all together, you have the Woody and Buzz and Slinky areas which now takes you "magically" into the backyard WORLD of toys (not just Andy's Backyard with some props).

On the right is Woody's Roundup area, with a Woody's Roundup dark ride (easily could replace Mania) and tying it to Al's Toy Barn as the entrance is even better, taking you into a puppet show as you go on an adventure with Woody and his frontier friends. Think Shrek's Merry Fairy Tale attraction at I believe MotionGate Dubai. Then you have the Lunch Box Cafe, where it's themed like it is now. Except it's in the Woody area instead of in Buzz's area. You also are surrounded by Woody's Roundup itself (think the section that was cut from the released concept art) so you've gone into his world, from Andy's Backyard. You then have Jessie's Critter Carousel (Trixie would replace Jessie on Slinky Dog Dash). And if we aren't ever getting Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (if we ever get a Cars Land/mini area, they could easily use the Luigi system and do what they original had planned, riding on small Mater tractors; it's now a Mater's themed Luigi attraction), put in the Woody's Roundup Bullseye version into Woody's area. You'd have a dark ride themed to Woody (a total re-theme of Midway Mania works wonderful for this), a carousel themed to Jessie, a great place to eat in Lunch Box Cafe and an area entirely themed to Woody's adventures.

You then venture back into the yard and take a spin on Slinky Dog Dash where the rest of the toys have come to life, living out Andy's drawing that's on the load area for Slinky Dog. It's a fun zippy coaster yet has show scenes that make it feel like a 'complete attraction'. Disney, it REALLY wasn't that hard. Shame on you for budget cutting (I get it was already an overly expensive land, but dang, do it right please). (RC and Parachute Drop could easily be replicated in the sections of the coaster, not as actual rides but as part of the show, or both, if possible).

Then after leaving Slinky you venture into the world of Pizza Planet and Buzz Lightyear. Move Buzz's ride here, re-theme Mania to Woody's Roundup and boom you have two attractions themed to them, unique to them, and a coaster that takes you into the rest of the toy world in the backyard.

In Buzz's area you have Poultry Palace (I know it's ugly but it works better as a quick-service window instead of Woody's Lunch Box being the main dining area with two ordering windows) and Pizza Planet Arcade Restaurant, where you can watch Alien Swirling Saucers. It's of course a toy set but you can "magically go inside" and it resembles the real thing. A real Pizza Planet themed to a play set and a real Al's Toy Barn themed to a play set just writes itself, yet they couldn't implement either?

Of course you cut all of that out and you have what we have. It works but it could have been ten times better. Maybe over the decades it will become that. There's certainly room for some growth in the unused Woody section.

THAT would be a REAL Toy Story Land. Not the half-hearted effort we ended up with. This is Toy Stor PLAYland, except instead of RC and Parachute drop we have Slinky Dog Dash (a great swap, mind you, but the land also would have benefitted from RC and Parachute Drop to really pad the land out and giving guests more to do to fill the time). If that is what Kathy really meant by saying similar to Cars Land (of course rocks are always more impressive but imagine the coaster as it was truly envisions, with the shovel and places where it looked like Andy was digging), then she would have been right, and that was likely the very original intent until it was cut down to what we have now. This is why they need to just let things go as is (of course tweaking as necessary but man they really strip things to the bare minimum if you truly think about it)

Slinky Dog Dash looks really fun and seems to be a surprise hit, but they couldn't give us more than two show scenes? Put in the Hamm section, put in the Green Army Men section, put in the Barrel of Monkey Island section ... really make it a fun story jaunting through the backyard. What's there is, indeed "fine" but it should have been so much more. I get why they think they can cut these things, but the 'little things' truly add up to a more richer experience.

I feel like Shanghai and Pixar Pier got some of what could have been cut very very early on for Toy Story Land: Poultry Palace fits the vibe of Toy Story Land and the Buzz area far more than it does on Pixar Pier. So does the Critter Carousel. I know the Pier already had a Carousel and it was an easy switch but DHS could have used a carousel and Toy Story Land should have been DHS's answer to Fantasyland (with other Pixar lands surrounding it). Instead it feels half-hearted. It had a lot of potential. Like usual something has massive potential but they do "just enough".

Kman101

I know we never get Phase 2 of anything, but I really feel like they might have plans someday to give us some more carnival rides, and a Pizza Planet is always an easy build and a sure-fire hit no matter when. I can see why they might have cut some stuff if they plan on a small expansion later ... but we never get those.

Is there any particular reason why Bo Peep, Trixie, RC and Hamm aren't used in the land as figures? (I know why for Bo Peep) Unless I've missed them completely. (And why is there a photo opp at the entrance to Mania when they should have put Mr. Potato Head there?) Could they "come later"? ;) "The World of Lost Toys"? LOL. I mean, it would be "synergy" and all that jazz that Bobby likes.

Speaking of Trixie and Disney's habit of re-theming things, there is that gawdy Tricera-top-Spin in Animal Kingdom .... and Dinorama feels on borrowed time (unless they keep it and re-theme it further to Donald's Carnival - just trying to think like a cost saving Disney executive)

I feel like the new Disney way is "one impressive thing" "one modest improvement" and one "cheap budget saving" plan. Star Wars and Mickey are the impressive and Toy Story Land falls somewhere in the modest-meh category.

I also wonder if there's more of a reason Lightning's going into Sunset Showcase. I bet they have plans to do something with Theater of the Stars, so they need to give guests something else to do. (And now I'm fearing a bare bones Cars overlay to Rock'n'Rollercoaster, sigh lol)

That of course assumes they have a master plan for the parks they now want to implement, and one thing flows into another. At least that's how a park should be run. They love their strategic planning and all that.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Just a warning but this is a really long post. I've been sick and had far too much time to think about these things :joyfull:

I know this is armchairing things, but man, they really could and should have done this much better. The bones are there for a decent land. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I get what they were trying to go for. Just for many it's hard to enjoy plastic figures, it screams cheap and All Star/Pop Century. I know also that many love that. It's hard to make everyone happy, but they can and they often choose not to. They could have made this land a really satisfying glimpse into the world of toys (not JUST "Andy's Backyard", which should have been a jumping off point into the world of Woody, Buzz and their friends, literally coming to life and having things going on around you; they almost accomplish this with Slinky Dog but the setup is poor, it's just a land with a coaster loosely themed to Andy's Backyard)

And instead of an oversized Woody figure greeting you, remove him, put him in the Roundup area on Bullseye, like in the original concept art, in the middle of his Roundup area. (Of course I don't think the oversized figures of Buzz or Woody are necessary but they can be used effectively)

You walk in and on the left is an Al's Toy Barn shop (Shanghai has one), keep Mania (or switch it with my idea for Woody's Roundup, it would be a very easy switch, the midway game screens could easily be a puppet theater box/screen) and it works attached as a midway game to Al's (which is an easy setup, he's watching Woody's Roundup and we venture into the world of it, like the new Mickey ride; but no instead we shoot carnival games, which works far better on Pixar Pier and Toyville Trolley Park). And to tie it all together, you have the Woody and Buzz and Slinky areas which now takes you "magically" into the backyard WORLD of toys (not just Andy's Backyard with some props).

On the right is Woody's Roundup area, with a Woody's Roundup dark ride (easily could replace Mania) and tying it to Al's Toy Barn as the entrance is even better, taking you into a puppet show as you go on an adventure with Woody and his frontier friends. Think Shrek's Merry Fairy Tale attraction at I believe MotionGate Dubai. Then you have the Lunch Box Cafe, where it's themed like it is now. Except it's in the Woody area instead of in Buzz's area. You also are surrounded by Woody's Roundup itself (think the section that was cut from the released concept art) so you've gone into his world, from Andy's Backyard. You then have Jessie's Critter Carousel (Trixie would replace Jessie on Slinky Dog Dash). And if we aren't ever getting Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (if we ever get a Cars Land/mini area, they could easily use the Luigi system and do what they original had planned, riding on small Mater tractors; it's now a Mater's themed Luigi attraction), put in the Woody's Roundup Bullseye version into Woody's area. You'd have a dark ride themed to Woody (a total re-theme of Midway Mania works wonderful for this), a carousel themed to Jessie, a great place to eat in Lunch Box Cafe and an area entirely themed to Woody's adventures.

You then venture back into the yard and take a spin on Slinky Dog Dash where the rest of the toys have come to life, living out Andy's drawing that's on the load area for Slinky Dog. It's a fun zippy coaster yet has show scenes that make it feel like a 'complete attraction'. Disney, it REALLY wasn't that hard. Shame on you for budget cutting (I get it was already an overly expensive land, but dang, do it right please). (RC and Parachute Drop could easily be replicated in the sections of the coaster, not as actual rides but as part of the show, or both, if possible).

Then after leaving Slinky you venture into the world of Pizza Planet and Buzz Lightyear. Move Buzz's ride here, re-theme Mania to Woody's Roundup and boom you have two attractions themed to them, unique to them, and a coaster that takes you into the rest of the toy world in the backyard.

In Buzz's area you have Poultry Palace (I know it's ugly but it works better as a quick-service window instead of Woody's Lunch Box being the main dining area with two ordering windows) and Pizza Planet Arcade Restaurant, where you can watch Alien Swirling Saucers. It's of course a toy set but you can "magically go inside" and it resembles the real thing. A real Pizza Planet themed to a play set and a real Al's Toy Barn themed to a play set just writes itself, yet they couldn't implement either?

Of course you cut all of that out and you have what we have. It works but it could have been ten times better. Maybe over the decades it will become that. There's certainly room for some growth in the unused Woody section.

THAT would be a REAL Toy Story Land. Not the half-hearted effort we ended up with. This is Toy Stor PLAYland, except instead of RC and Parachute drop we have Slinky Dog Dash (a great swap, mind you, but the land also would have benefitted from RC and Parachute Drop to really pad the land out and giving guests more to do to fill the time). If that is what Kathy really meant by saying similar to Cars Land (of course rocks are always more impressive but imagine the coaster as it was truly envisions, with the shovel and places where it looked like Andy was digging), then she would have been right, and that was likely the very original intent until it was cut down to what we have now. This is why they need to just let things go as is (of course tweaking as necessary but man they really strip things to the bare minimum if you truly think about it)

Slinky Dog Dash looks really fun and seems to be a surprise hit, but they couldn't give us more than two show scenes? Put in the Hamm section, put in the Green Army Men section, put in the Barrel of Monkey Island section ... really make it a fun story jaunting through the backyard. What's there is, indeed "fine" but it should have been so much more. I get why they think they can cut these things, but the 'little things' truly add up to a more richer experience.

I feel like Shanghai and Pixar Pier got some of what could have been cut very very early on for Toy Story Land: Poultry Palace fits the vibe of Toy Story Land and the Buzz area far more than it does on Pixar Pier. So does the Critter Carousel. I know the Pier already had a Carousel and it was an easy switch but DHS could have used a carousel and Toy Story Land should have been DHS's answer to Fantasyland (with other Pixar lands surrounding it). Instead it feels half-hearted. It had a lot of potential. Like usual something has massive potential but they do "just enough".
Originally I thought this was a review of TSL, but by the end I got the impression that you have not been to it yet? Of course to each their own, but I had a similar thought process going into it - looking at the previous concept art, seeing what could have been there, etc. Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised with what was there, and that was after 2-3 extensive walk-throughs and riding all the attractions a few times during my previous trip. It's nothing to book a whole trip around, however even with the cut Toy Barn and such, I don't think it would have been.

My only big gripes with it was having the character M&G outside, near the figures on Slinky, that just felt like an awkward placement to be meeting Woody, and then see Woody behind near the entrance. The second was a lack of shade during the day. The land is extraordinarily better at night, but that is in part because it's not sunny out.

There are plenty of 'little things', details and such, around the land and it surprised me (aside from the two gripes mentioned before) I was impressive of how cohesive it was to the backyard aesthetic. Hope you get to experience it and curious if your mind will be changed like mine.

Kman101

Originally I thought this was a review of TSL, but by the end I got the impression that you have not been to it yet? Of course to each their own, but I had a similar thought process going into it - looking at the previous concept art, seeing what could have been there, etc. Overall though, I was pleasantly surprised with what was there, and that was after 2-3 extensive walk-throughs and riding all the attractions a few times during my previous trip. It's nothing to book a whole trip around, however even with the cut Toy Barn and such, I don't think it would have been.

My only big gripes with it was having the character M&G outside, near the figures on Slinky, that just felt like an awkward placement to be meeting Woody, and then see Woody behind near the entrance. The second was a lack of shade during the day. The land is extraordinarily better at night, but that is in part because it's not sunny out.

There are plenty of 'little things', details and such, around the land and it surprised me (aside from the two gripes mentioned before) I was impressive of how cohesive it was to the backyard aesthetic. Hope you get to experience it and curious if your mind will be changed like mine.

It's not that I'm saying what's there is "bad". Nothing wrong with wishing it were more, and I had been thinking about what could have been, that's all. It had a lot of potential. Wishing for something to be even better doesn't make what's there bad. I just see lost potential. I have a habit of trying to make things better even if what's there is "fine". It just seems they strip it down to what's passable, even if what's there, again, is nicely done. It has no bearing on my enjoyment of it.

spacemt354

Chili's
It's not that I'm saying what's there is "bad". Nothing wrong with wishing it were more, and I had been thinking about what could have been, that's all. It had a lot of potential. Wishing for something to be even better doesn't make what's there bad. I just see lost potential.
Where did I say that you said it was "bad"? I'm just saying that I shared this type of perspective before visiting it - and was pleasantly surprised with the result. I doubt any fan wants to feel the way you do, we want things to be great - so I'm trying to provide a bit of hope at the end of the tunnel that it actually is better than I assumed.

Kman101

Where did I say that you said it was "bad"? I'm just saying that I shared this type of perspective before visiting it - and was pleasantly surprised with the result. I doubt any fan wants to feel the way you do, we want things to be great - so I'm trying to provide a bit of hope at the end of the tunnel that it actually is better than I assumed.

I wasn't really trying to be down on the land at all, that's all I was telling you, I just felt like you thought my post was meant to be a downer on the land but it wasn't (I just think we're having a tad bit of miscommunication, lol, we're really on the same page). Just wishing it to be better doesn't harm my enjoyment of it. I appreciate the giving of hope as we do seem to share the same thoughts about it. Personally I was a fairly big defender of it when the concept art was first released.

Indy_UK

In regards to shade, i heard (I think a podcast) that it may possibly be added down the road but it would have to come out of maintenance budgets to be added as of course the imagineers who designed the land aren't as familiar with Florida weather and don't cost it in intital budgets

Rteetz

In regards to shade, i heard (I think a podcast) that it may possibly be added down the road but it would have to come out of maintenance budgets to be added as of course the imagineers who designed the land aren't as familiar with Florida weather and don't cost it in intital budgets
That was the Disney Dish with Len Testa and Jim Hill.

wdwgreek

I was terribly disappointed by the concept art and pictures, but when i finally got there last week, at 645 am, I was really surprised how much i enjoyed the land. Lets be clear about a few things, first this land did not add a new E ticket ride, but a D ticket family coaster and a flat ride. Both things MGM/DHS needed, family style rides that would be an alternative to the rides on Sunset Blvd. It also helps with the Mideway mania 80 minute line debacle, spreading those crowds between two attractions. The land itself was very cute, I was impressed with all the toy references, my mother and I spent a good 20 minutes finding toys that i played with as a child around the land. I was a child of the 90's, so was Andy so it was really cute. My mom, who normally says its a ride who cares about theming, told her sister "wow they made it like a little boys backyard and they had a new ride that they designed to look like a playset the boy set up." She got the story. Granted Star wars land looms from the one side and kinda ruins the illusion, but ottherwise it works. The fence looks great and the land does what it was supposed to do. I also must admit that I judge things based on what is there not what could have been, because I will always be dissapointed by the what if. Slinky was a suprisingly long ride, felt long all three times i road it and the alien flying saucers was a lot of fun. Those are are my thoughts I would have liked one more flat ride in there, mabye a parachutes or a Lugi like ride, but over it gets a B+.

flyerjab

I was terribly disappointed by the concept art and pictures, but when i finally got there last week, at 645 am, I was really surprised how much i enjoyed the land. Lets be clear about a few things, first this land did not add a new E ticket ride, but a D ticket family coaster and a flat ride. Both things MGM/DHS needed, family style rides that would be an alternative to the rides on Sunset Blvd. It also helps with the Mideway mania 80 minute line debacle, spreading those crowds between two attractions. The land itself was very cute, I was impressed with all the toy references, my mother and I spent a good 20 minutes finding toys that i played with as a child around the land. I was a child of the 90's, so was Andy so it was really cute. My mom, who normally says its a ride who cares about theming, told her sister "wow they made it like a little boys backyard and they had a new ride that they designed to look like a playset the boy set up." She got the story. Granted Star wars land looms from the one side and kinda ruins the illusion, but ottherwise it works. The fence looks great and the land does what it was supposed to do. I also must admit that I judge things based on what is there not what could have been, because I will always be dissapointed by the what if. Slinky was a suprisingly long ride, felt long all three times i road it and the alien flying saucers was a lot of fun. Those are are my thoughts I would have liked one more flat ride in there, mabye a parachutes or a Lugi like ride, but over it gets a B+.

Could not agree more with your assessment. This was a home run for my entire family. Compared to Pandora, my excitement level going in was not there for TSL. Once there, going on all 3 rides and eating at Woody’s, it was around 3 hours and my opinion had changed. The kinetics in this land are fantastic and the lighting packages at night make the experience even better. My issues were with lack of shade, and a far too small eating area. The entrance and 2nd half of SDD could have been themed more, but it in no way had a negative impact on my enjoyment.

HauntedMansionFLA

Could not agree more with your assessment. This was a home run for my entire family. Compared to Pandora, my excitement level going in was not there for TSL. Once there, going on all 3 rides and eating at Woody’s, it was around 3 hours and my opinion had changed. The kinetics in this land are fantastic and the lighting packages at night make the experience even better. My issues were with lack of shade, and a far too small eating area. The entrance and 2nd half of SDD could have been themed more, but it in no way had a negative impact on my enjoyment.
Great post. I can’t wait to see this Land during the Holidays!!!

wdwgreek

Friday at 11 AM...

FoP - 150
NRJ - 85
7DMT - 75
TT - 70
ToT - 65
SDD - 65
RnRC - 65
KS -65
Saucers - 65
TSM - 60
JC -55
Kali - 50
Splash and Space Mts - 45
Soarin - 45
EE -45
PotC -40
HM - 40
BTM - 40
Speedway - 35
STours - 35
FEA - 25!!
Wow Frozen Ever After wait time tanking. Epcot just isn't attracting a crowd right now. And wow Saucers have a higher then midway thats remarkable! I wonder where everthing will settle out in a years time after the wow it's new appeal wears off.

erasure fan1

Wow Frozen Ever After wait time tanking. Epcot just isn't attracting a crowd right now. And wow Saucers have a higher then midway thats remarkable! I wonder where everthing will settle out in a years time after the wow it's new appeal wears off.
Frozen doesn't surprise me because the ride is terrible. Voyage of the little Mermaid we waited over an hour when it opened, the next visit we walked on, saw one person the whole way through the line at 10am. Why? An underwhelming ride fades away no matter how big the IP. If the star wars rides are just meh, it will be the same for them.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Frozen doesn't surprise me because the ride is terrible. Voyage of the little Mermaid we waited over an hour when it opened, the next visit we walked on, saw one person the whole way through the line at 10am. Why? An underwhelming ride fades away no matter how big the IP. If the star wars rides are just meh, it will be the same for them.

Well, at this moment (Sunday 6:30 PM), this tanking, terrible ride of FEA has as long or longer wait than Jungle Cruise, Dinosaur, Big Thunder, Tower of Terror and Soarin. Tsk, tsk... all those terrible rides.

FoP -80
SDD - 70
PP - 65
TT, Space Mt, 7DMT, RnRC, NRJ - 60
Splash - 50
Kali, JC, FEA - 45
Dino, BTMR, TSM - 40
M:S - 35
ToT, Pooh, HM, EE, Saucers - 30
Speed, Soarin, Buzz, Orbiter - 25

erasure fan1

@MisterPenguin
OK? If the ride was great it would still be commanding big wait times all the time. Its a shoehorned attraction that could have been amazing if put in the right spot and given the scope it deserved. It is of my observation that the ride has fadded in popularity. I'm glad you love the ride, 40 min is 20 min longer than I would ever wait for it. And at no time has it ever deserved the 2hr plus wait times.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@MisterPenguin
OK? If the ride was great it would still be commanding big wait times all the time. Its a shoehorned attraction that could have been amazing if put in the right spot and given the scope it deserved. It is of my observation that the ride has fadded in popularity. I'm glad you love the ride, 40 min is 20 min longer than I would ever wait for it. And at no time has it ever deserved the 2hr plus wait times.

OK.

ToTBellHop

@MisterPenguin
My understanding is more that Epcot is having a weak summer. Thus the effort to bring new fireworks there with the understanding that it would be unwise to have the park limp along until it finally gets a new E-ticket in 18 or 19 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom